Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:13 PM
robotfury

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »

Hi,

I got it in my head this morning to look up gear choices and spent quite a bit of time, as you do, searching the interwebs to find out that Jefe used a 32x19 for his TD ride and that Chris Plesko used a 32x17!  Gasp. I like 32x19, but a 17 - whoa... I started thinking, well how much walking was factored in, how much did he ride with that 17 etc.  I was intrigued by these choices and turned my search to race strategy and training. Just a general discussion on SS and ultra-endurance/bikepacking for example. I didn't find much.

I've joined a cult, it seems, for which all information is secret. Even to its members. The first rule of singlespeeding is, you don't talk about singlespeeding.

I have been training/racing single-speed since August 2011.  I ride geared as well, but I think the experience I have on my bike racing one gear is vastly different from my friends who race the same event geared. I get to thinking that there isn't much talk about single speeding by single speeders for single speeders on the topic of ultra racing/bikepacking.  Where can I find that conversation?

I would love to hear from the singlespeeders out there on riding SS in ultra endurance races, especially multi-days like the TD and the new Stagecoach 400.  Just wondering if there is a thread/discussion in the forums here, elsewhere or maybe even starting one regarding ultra racing/bikepacking and single speeding, such as:

set ups, (GF Superfly, Crest/AC, e13 cranks, candy 2 pedals, 32x19 or 20, tundra saddle, ergons, EC90SL Post, bars, thomson stem (black), XX brakes)   
technique,
gearing,
strategy,
training,
why so many single speeders sport handlebar mustaches (does it make you faster, stronger - it must)   
race reports
stories etc. 

BTW I am not soliciting one of those "which is better" geared or single discussions, but a more focused conversation on SS and how to maximize racing singlespeed for longer events. There really isn't much information out there and I would really love to hear from single speed vets.

Thanks,

M

PS> I realize there is no real prompt here to solicit responses, so how about: Singlespeeding! Lame. Whatevs. Who would ever race back to back 100 plus mile days with one gear!  It is clearly a bullcrap, inefficient way to race for moustachioed lunatics with crazy hair/flare and high socks! I bet they don't even shave their legs. 

Discuss.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:20:29 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

I've raced SS plenty.  IME, riding one gear was usually faster than 20+ gears, and definitely more efficient from a power output perspective.  I've written plenty over the years - you'd have to go back to '07 for the really geeky power analysis stuff though.

I've never been one of the cool kids wearing facial hair of varying styles.  While others groomed, I geeked.

http://2-epic.com/?cat=12

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:08:34 PM
robotfury

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

loads of information. thanks. and dang, that is some geek heavy stuff. I don't think I have ever seen power and ss.  Fantastic. Tonight's reading.  Oh, who am I kidding. I am going to read it right here at work. Shhh.  Thanks so much.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:38 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Nice info on your blog! Thanks. If running a dingle during the TD will it be classed as a single speed? Considering one can change ratios by carrying a spare chain and cassette cog and will still be classed as a single speed.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:32:23 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

Dingle is not single.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:34:39 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

OK bummer, just have to man up then! so will changing cassette cogs mid race, effect the single speed classification?

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:51:26 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

It should. Unless it is a repair.

Single means single.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 06:41:08 PM
bruce.b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »

Single speed means ONE gear ratio for the entire race. If you replace the drivetrain during a race you must go with the same gearing or you've just switched to the multi gear category. Obvious and simple.

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:06:05 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »

Thanks, just wanted to make sure,

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:15 AM
ron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »

Slight correction, robotfury-- Jefe ran a 33x19 setup last year:

http://salsacycles.com/culture/kurt_refsniders_2011_tour_divide_setup/

* jefe.png (33.92 KB, 628x115 - viewed 366 times.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:48:16 AM by ron » Logged

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:51 AM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:51 AM »

I ran 32X19 for the TDR this year. In the end, I'm not sure that I'd been happy riding much different. Maybe, just maybe the 33X19 might have been a bit better. I'll never know. I've been riding/racing singlespeed mostly for 15 years. I change gearing depending on the course. When I just have to shoot in the dark, I stick with 32X19 as it works for almost everything except flats (it sucks when you turn around and 10 people are drafting off of you... the only singlespeed!).

I've gone through multiple bikes so thats semi-irrelevant.

Oh... I've also had serious mood facial hair longer than most people have ridden bikes. :-)

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: looking for thread/discussion on ultra racing on single-speed Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:48 AM
febikes

Custom steel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:48 AM »

I ran TDR 2012 for the first 1500 miles but then dropped out due to injury.

I used a 36x20 setup for my attempt and felt it worked very well.

In terms of gearing, running more teeth for a given ratio is a good idea to make the system run smoother.  A 36x20 is about the same as a 34x19 but when you run more teeth your bike will handle chain stretch better and in general run smoother.  Using more teeth spreads the load out.  With all the dirt on route I think belt drive might be a good idea if you have the budget.

The actual ratio you use will be dependent on your fitness level, speed, and how much you like to spin/push.  

Once you know the ratio you like try to find a version that uses the biggest cog and ring that will fit on your bike.  The following is a calculator from Sheldon Brown.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

http://febikes.com
Custom steel bicycles frames built in Raleigh, NC.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: