Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR Shuttles & Logistics from/to start and finish... on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:39 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

I figured I'd start a separate thread, as the "CTR 2012 Planning" thread is getting pretty long, and I've found separate threads created in the past regarding this issue.  
So, what does everyone have planned?  
Tentatively my buddy and I are planning on driving from Reno Nevada straight to Durango on the 27th of July.  We're then planning on leaving my truck in Durango, and hoping to find a way to get to Denver with our bikes on either the 28th or 29th of July...  I'd rather have my vehicle in Durango, as we might finish a few days apart, and it would be much easier to simply head home from there, rather than waiting till we both finish, and then try to find a ride to Denver on short notice.  
From some research, there is a Greyhound affiliate that runs from Durango to Grand Junction, and then a Greyhound from Grand Junction to Denver... This is a worse case for me, that I'd like to avoid, as it costs about $100 for the trip, and would add nearly a whole day of travel...
Frontier Air has a flight from Durango to Denver that costs $120, but then there is the hassle of boxing the bikes and gear...  Again, I'd like to avoid this...

So, what have people found to work in the past? Or, what are some of you planning this year?  

Topic Name: CTR Shuttles & Logistics from/to start and finish... Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:46 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

Thanks for setting up separate thread on this.  Although, right now my "shuttle" situation is trying to find a way to get back to DIA from Durango, as I'm flying in to DIA.  I've checked into the shuttle services and taxis that run from Durango back to Denver, but have similar feelings of avoidance to this option just like to Durango to DIA flight option.  Of course, there's always the option of pedaling back to DIA !  Right now, the option I'm leaning towards is "trail magic" ... that there will be others at the TH in Dgo around the same time and someone will have space in a rig and a kind heart ... and will be going to Denver !

That being said ... here's a similar feeler ... what options for shuttle from Dgo to Denver/DIA are there that others have used or know of?

Topic Name: CTR Shuttles & Logistics from/to start and finish... Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:34 AM
nepbug

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »

Some people use a uhaul rental to make it one way or the other, might be cheaper than renting a car that can fit several bikes.

Topic Name: CTR Shuttles & Logistics from/to start and finish... Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:26 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »

Does anyone else have any plans that they'd like to share?
I looked into a Uhaul, and it's actually more expensive than a rental car($200ish one way for a day).  It seems there are rental cars available, so if it comes down to a week before hand and I don't have something lined up, I might call and reserve one...

Topic Name: CTR Shuttles & Logistics from/to start and finish... Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:47 PM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

By the way, this may or may not be of any help to anyone, but Great Lakes airlines flys between Farmington, NM to Denver with a little 17 seater Beachcraft for about $125 one-way. I fly that route all the time. Super convenient little flight.

By the way, it flys SUPER low. On a clear day it's awesome. It's a perfect arial recon of the entire CTR route. I've certainly had my face pressed on that window a few times straining to see the trail, which is almost visible in spots.

Does anyone have suggestions for shuttle ideas from DIA to the trailhead? Are their accommodations close to the trailhead I could rely on?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:46:16 PM by Flounder » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: