Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Advice needed to start planning a GDR from the UK on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:17 AM
RikPerry

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »

Hi all... Need some help planning and some advice on a GDR attempt from the UK for 2010. Work means i cant start TD with the group so i figure GDR is the way to go as i stand a better chance of meeting fellow racers ( TD ) Is getting to Roosville easy ? Best flights in and back out of AW area. Kit to take and mail drops to arrange on route ect ect...

Be good to hear from GDR/TD riders who have done it from the UK ??

Thanks for reading

Rik Perry

Topic Name: Advice needed to start planning a GDR from the UK Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:59 PM
flatfishy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »

ygm

Topic Name: Advice needed to start planning a GDR from the UK Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:14 AM
SteveW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »

Unless your work constraints are really tight, my advice is to fly into Calgary and ride from Banff. You can include the Canadian section in your TT and time your arrival at the border with the GDR start, or take a more leisurely 3 day warm up and stay in Eureka 6 miles down the highway from the Rooseville border.

For many reasons Banff is a better and easier place to gear up, since it offers more services, and transfers from Calgary airport are quick and easy. You can also fly direct to Calgary from London. Your options at the other end are El Paso, Albuquerque and Phoenix, and that's in order of distance from Antelope Wells. You can fly direct from all these airports to London. My recommendation is El Paso since it is closer.

All but one of the Brits who've raced the Divide have started from Banff, so I can't offer any advice on alternative routes to Rooseville. I do know it's not straighforward though. If it's your only chance at riding the GDMBR, make the most of it and see the whole route. Banff is a lovely town in a beautiful setting, and the Canadian section is stunning.

As for postal drops, I can't see the point in them myself, so have never done it. I've not posted anything home mid-race either. Nor have the other British guys I've ridden with. I just take an old pair of winter gloves that I throw away once out of Montana.

Good luck.

Steve Wilkinson

Topic Name: Advice needed to start planning a GDR from the UK Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:32:00 AM
RikPerry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »

Thanks Steve.

I think i will end up doing the TD as an ITT as it seems more logical to ride the full route and get the full GDMBR experience.. I wont be able to make the start proper as i will be working at the Le Mans 24 hour race that weekend. Prob start the following Fri and try to catch some of the GDR guys/girls up... If there are any ? This years field was worryingly small !?

Maybe starting later might give some luck with the rain you all suffered this year... Well done to all of the riders who got through what sounded like hell...

Still looking for any more advice if anyone else wants to chip in ?

How about some tips on the best places to feed and rest up/aim for if I'm trying to do it in 21 ish days ??

Thanks for reading

Rik

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: