Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:50 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »

I read this article,(on f.b.)and it got me thinking-i've read threads from u.k. guys &gals who want to come here-

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:03 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »

To experiance mountianbiking. More then a few would'nt survive our idea of xc-

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:17:40 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »

I picture an english guy asking a bear for directions to the trailhead.(no offence to any one from u.k. on here)

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:26:00 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »

I did'nt know where to post this.so before idegress anymore,the article did have some valid points.

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:42 AM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »

No link?

I dig dirt!

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:18:07 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

Opps, hereit is: http//www.bikemag.com/news/whytheeliminatorisbadfor

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:52 AM
Rabid Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »

Mountianbiking

Topic Name: Bike mag article:why the xc eliminator is bad for mountianbiking Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:11 AM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »

For many years, I worked for UCI and US Cycling managing events, building dual slaloms, 4 cross, downhill and xc courses. I also mtb everyday and finished the Tour Divide so I think I have a wide field of view for the sport of Mtnbiking. I saw the write up. Every venue and promoter deals with business owners who want the events close to their business and some organizers cave by bringing things off the mountain. These events can be seen from start to finish. Crowd pleasers. Same reason that World Cup XC races do multiple laps of a 5k loop. To allow fans to line the course.  (weak!) The best solution for crowd pleasing eliminators is some kind of extra, late evening event that offers a cash prize so the top guys and gals will show up and fans can party at pubs and food joints along the route. In a World Cup, points event, this particular event was not ideal and is lowers the bar by using all the man made crap and weak terrain. Most racers hate it but they all have to do it. (although there have been some killer urban DHill races through towns. YouTube has some footage.) If the UCI wants this new event to be successful(which is kinda replacing the 4 cross) they need to do better. I think the technical delegates at this event failed, big time. I think it could be really cool if it is more DHill like. Seems like they are trying to incorporate some Super-D by having a little uphill, ect. The weakness with the 4-cross and this eliminator is it's still a hole shot kind of race. As in, whoever wins the start can usually hold off (by blocking out and picking the best line) the others and win. Thats why Brian Lopes wins so much. He can sprint on a bike!
As far as the ability of these guys doing this event or UK riders??? There is no one faster than UK's Steve Peat on any terrain. (mud, drops, singletrack, you name it) The guy is magic. Their training isn't preparing them for the Tour Divide but they are sick riders and can trash 90% of xc riders in this world. Most of the eliminator/4 cross types were champ BMX'ers to start who got into downhill, 4 cross... Leigh Donavan, Tinker Juarez, Brian Lopes, came from BMX and I can assure you that they can rip singletrack up. Actually, i would love to see Brian Lopes do some endurance racing. I bet he could kick some serious ass. Also, Lets remember that the UK's Aidian Harding was 2nd to Nome, Alaska last year on the snowbike and has laid down some fast times in the TD too. The UK has riding and some great "Mountainbikers"!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:42:44 AM by JF-mtnbiker » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: