Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:36 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »

So I did some searching and have found a couple answers, but maybe consolidating all my questions into a new post may help other newbies.

I purchased a SPOT 2 with some Xmas money and finally purchased service.  I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it as I'm only planning on doing 2 events with it, but I will be alone a bit in Colorado this summer scouting before CTR leaving the wife and kid in the campground for 2 or 3 days at a time.

Q 1 - Are the lithium batteries that come with the unit rechargeable in a standard recharger?

Q 2 - Does anyone use any other type of batteries (NiMh or standard landfill batts) in their unit?

Q 3 - What is typical run time for both SPOT 1 and 2?  Does this time vary if other types of batteries are used?

Q 4 - Do you have the additional service to be tracked on the internet to be tracked in Scott's Trackleaders?  Or do you just need the basic $100 a year subscription and then just pay Scott the additional $15 for each event?

Q 5 - With Colorado's $3 rescue insurance card, does anyone pay SPOT for their rescue service (I guess this is geared more towards those who ride in Colorado)?  I've NEVER felt concerned about needing to be rescued...that's with years of backcountry skiing (without a spot), hiking, exploring, driving to ridiculously remote areas, etc.  I'm a bit older now and with 2 people depending on me, it's a bit more of a concern.

Q 6 - Is there a way or need to configure a SPOT for 2 users?  Ex.  My wife decides to ride all day somewhere with ridiculous remoteness and beauty in the CO backcountry and wants to use the SPOT.  If she takes mine, and ends up needing a rescue, are there any legal issues if rescue shows up and it's not me?

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:30:41 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

....and one more question....

Do people leave their units on all day and night (even when sleeping)?

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:11 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »

Q1: Pretty sure that the batteries that come with it are NOT rechargeable. Don't try it unless you know for sure. I buy new lithiums when they run down. I don't believe SPOT recommends using anything other than lithium. They need a lot of juice when beaming out.

Q6: You can set up several profiles when you sign up for the service. I have 2 or 3 depending on what I'm doing, and who I'm likely to be near (when I do a 2 day ride to my in-laws I add my mother and father in law to the text message and emergency contact lists). I THINK you can adjust things with the profiles, and if not, you should be able to adjust elsewhere. I'm guessing Scott could answer as he also rents units, and must change these things often.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:39:26 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »

....and one more question....

Do people leave their units on all day and night (even when sleeping)?

The units need to be rebooted every 24 hours. On my last trip I sent to 'OK' messages in a row from my campsite, and then shut down for the night. Upon boot up I sent 2 'OK' messages (these went to my wife via SMS) - and then got on my way. With tracking she was able to open a link I sent her to see my location.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:05 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

Q2 = Lithium only. the strongest ones, Ultimate i think, are the best.

Q3 = Spot I runs on 2 AA for about 10 days in track mode if you shut it off at night. Spot II runs on 3 AAA batts for about 3 or 4 days with tracking mode on and shutting off at night.

Q4 = To have a continuous trail of "dots" on the trackleaders.com maps, you need the additional tracking service.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:49 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, you really need to read the manual that came with your Spot (it's also available at their site, in case you lost it). It answers most of the really important questions that you asked--and probably a few that you haven't. Spots aren't that complicated, but not understanding how to use yours will leave you very frustrated--and possibly defeat the purpose of carrying it in the first place.

Answers to Q1, 2, 3: You absolutely need to use disposable lithium batteries of the type specified by Spot. The voltage and draw requirements are very specific for your Spot, and nothing else will cut it. The batteries that came with the device are NOT rechargeable. Fresh batteries last 3.5-7 days with tracking turned on the entire time.

Answer to Q4: The basic service does not include tracking. You'll need to add the tracking option ($50/year) if you want your track to appear online. To make your track appear on Trackleaders, you'll need to send Scott some money and your shared page link. Go to FindMeSpot.com to learn how to set up shared page links.

Answer to Q5: A Colorado CORSAR Card IS NOT INSURANCE (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523). If you need to be flown to a hospital, you'll need your own insurance--or a very large trust fund. Spot evac insurance is a good deal.

Answer to Q6: Yes, it's possible to change who's "assigned" to your Spot. Read the manual, or check out the directions online to set this up. I have three profiles: mine, my wife's, and my family's.

Answer to Q7: I usually forget to turn it off when I'm tired, but I sometimes turn it off if I'm trying to save battery juice. Tracking needs to be initiated every 24 hours by pushing the tracking button. Rebooting isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:18:02 PM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »

Yeah, Re: Q5 - completely understand what the $3 fee is for.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:58 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

I'm having some issues understanding the set up for different profiles.  I'll go back in and try to figure it out....it wouldn't let me use the same phone numbers for something so I got a bit frustrated and gave up.  Sorry if my post bugged anyone.  Nobody has to respond.  Sometimes reading it from a real person who's already set things up helps clarify things better than trying to read the tiny print in the manual. 

Yes I knew that the Colorado rescue fee didn't pay for a rescue.  It get's people to you.  It looks like the AAC insurance isn't quite as good as the Spot.  May go for it, but then I tend to be a bit more reckless when I know I'm covered and that can be good and bad.

Kind of wish I had just rented from Scott, but I may appreciate it this summer.  Having lived over 15 years of my adult life without all the gadgets and gee whiz stuff I sometimes wonder if it's really worth paying for all this stuff since I've made it this far without much of it.  To me, setting it all up is a PITA.  I don't even own an iPod or MP3 player and was pissed when I had to buy a converter for my tv antenna.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:42 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »

Sorry if my post bugged anyone.  Nobody has to respond.  Sometimes reading it from a real person who's already set things up helps clarify things better than trying to read the tiny print in the manual.
You certainly didn't bother me. There's nothing wrong with asking for some help, but it's worth noting that there have been some really amusing/embarrassing stories on the Internet of people misusing their Spots because they didn't take the time to read the small print. The manual has some very important stuff in it that you absolutely must read if you want to get the most from your Spot.

"Done"

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:55 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »

I went back to my account page to set up the profiles and it was working much better.  When I tried to get everything set up the first time the website kept kicking me off and locking up.  I was confused as to what a few windows required for input as well.  I'm sorted out now.  I think I was having a bad day and not on my A game in regards to technology.  I'm usually pretty good with all this stuff but if something locks up on my ass, I tend to give up.

I hate small print.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:54 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

There's some good things and bad things about the SPOT. Even with all the bad things, you're still packing Star Trek tech in your pocket, which is something to remember.

Their site is sort of a sore spot - it is just... not as well designed as it could and is somewhat confusing. Their subscription service is also perchance a bit misleading and the packaging of their, "Adventure Pack" (or whatever), is just wasteful. During the TD I went through batteries like crazy and lithiums are pricey. I got away a few times on regular batteries, but be aware that service is a little more... spotty and those batteries won't last too long. I've had the SPOT not pick be able to track if I'm simply under cloud cover.

I also questioned my purchase of a SPOT, especially since I found out with testing that having it track day rides is just meaningless, as it only records a location every ten minutes, so the resolution of your track is in miles. In a long, multi-day ride, it's fine, though. Some of the backcountry hikes I do though, having a spot is alright piece of mind, plus it's always fun to see where you went for future trips. And bragging rights.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:37 AM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »

As with any complex device, have a plan for what to do if it fails.  My SPOT ceased to function on the 3rd day of a bikepacking trip (quickly replaced by SPOT).  No big deal for us, but those watching at home got a bit worried.  Had I not told them that all sorts of things can interfere with getting 'okay' signals and tracks they might have started making phone calls.  I also assured them I would call by a certain day and if I didn't then they could get worried.  Additionally we let park rangers know our plan. 

Sounds like you have plenty of experience going into the backcountry so you know what to do...just remember not to rely on the SPOT only (or GPS, or freehubs, derailuers, sealant, brakes, your fitness :-), etc).

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:57 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

...  May go for it, but then I tend to be a bit more reckless when I know I'm covered and that can be good and bad.

That sentence kind of stands out.  Are there times when being reckless is good?

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:21 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

I did my first mtb race in 1989.  BMX and road for many years before that.  Without being a bit reckless here and there, I wouldn't have boxes full of medals, a few walls full of trophies, and jerseys hanging on the wall and stuffed into closets.  Leaving your comfort zone is what takes you to the next level of whatever it is in life that you are doing.  Reckless, risk taking, living on the edge....whatever you want to call it.  Now that I look at it, I see more good than bad. headbang

I finally got through the entire manual and all the info on the website.  I also figured out how to do the profiles.  I have no clue what was confusing me on that the first time I tried to set it up.  I could point out a bit of jankiness here and there on the website for sure.  I'm no web developer, so I'll keep my criticisms to a minimum.  I guess I'm a bit bummed about the overall cost of this system.  I should have researched into it more before buying just so I knew what costs were involved.

The batteries are a bummer.  Those things are expensive.  Not being rechargeable hurts.

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:28 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »

I could point out a bit of jankiness here and there on the website for sure.  I'm no web developer, so I'll keep my criticisms to a minimum.

The batteries are a bummer.  Those things are expensive.  Not being rechargeable hurts.
I agree that the Spot site is a bit idiosyncratic. Good to hear that you got it sorted out.

I buy batteries online, which makes them a little less expensive.

"Done"

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:27 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »

Answer to Q4:  To make your track appear on Trackleaders, you'll need to send Scott some money and your shared page link. Go to

So do I need to do this if I'm doing the TD to get it to show up for the tracker board once the race starts? I just purchased my SPOT and I figure I'll just use the "findmespot" now till the start of the TD.

Woody

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »

So do I need to do this if I'm doing the TD to get it to show up for the tracker board once the race starts? I just purchased my SPOT and I figure I'll just use the "findmespot" now till the start of the TD.

Woody
Yes, you only need to send Scott money for event-tracking on Trackleaders.com, such as the Tour Divide. For other rides, findmespot.com is included with whatever plan you buy from Spot.

"Done"

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:26 AM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:26 AM »

Anyone tried the new Lithium Ion Rechargeable batteries in the spots?

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 03:55:00 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »

Anyone tried the new Lithium Ion Rechargeable batteries in the spots?
Yes.  Amazon brand.  They lasted as well or better than non-rechargeables.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:28:46 PM by bpeschka » Logged

Topic Name: A bunch of Spot questions..... Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 10:19:08 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »

Definitely! I've done a lot of car racing (at race tracks, not streets) and a lot of  rock climbing as well as biking and other outdoor sports and I always try to evaluate and manage risks but my best stories come from when I ignored the risks, went for it, and it worked out (got lucky) Some of my worst stories come from when I ignored the risks, went for it, and it didn't work out.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: