Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) on: March 16, 2012, 06:42:24 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »

This question may be silly, but I'm trying to find an answer.  I'm planning to race the Tour in 2013 - so I'm training (I'm nowhere near fit enough to do it in 2012) - I have an endurance coach who has me in a pretty rigorous schedule and I'm improving my times, endurance and strength.

this is all great...but I'm having issues with my metabolism.  Basically, I'm always hungry.  Period.  I can eat a reasonable dinner and within 20-30 minutes (if that) I'm having hunger pains.  Sometimes (not all the time) I even get hungry while on the bike riding - usually my metabolism is maintained during rides (I use Hammergel perpetuem while riding).

Generally I eat small portions of meals - so I eat 6-7 times a day actually (like an apple, or a scoop of peanut butter with no sugar).  I don't consume simple carbs or things out of a box - generally it's prepared.  I know I'm lacking in fiber and going to start eating some All Bran cereal to see if an intake of fiber will help.

I tried the opposite of just consuming whatever I wanted and my weight skyrocketed in no time flat.  So that's not working.

So the answers I'm looking for are:

Is constant hunger normal for the level of training I'm doing (12 hours in the saddle average per week)?
Could anyone give me their thoughts and ideas on an eating plan ("eat whatever you want" does not work for me)

thanks guys!

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:09:17 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »

Yep, if you spend 12 hours in the saddle every week, you will be hungry. I don't know how many miles you're riding (or at what speed) but based on the hours that you've given, I expect that you're putting down 150 to 200 miles per week. That's probably somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 calories (depending on speed, weight, terrain). Your body is definitely going feel it--and demand to be fed!

If this type of training is new to you, then your body and mind are going through some serious adjustments. For people to give you the best answers to your question, it would probably help to know how much you weigh, and whether you are fat. Age and level of experience with this intensity of training would help too. I change the way that I eat depending on whether I'm trying to burn some fat, build some muscle, enhance endurance, etc.--so it's important to know more about you so that what I throw out there is more helpful.

"Done"

Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:00 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »

Toby,

I'll be glad to give detail.

I am not fat - I am a bit soft in the middle.  I do fit in for "clydesdale" though as I weight 201 - but my frame is large, not fat.  I could stand to lose a little bit...not much. 

39 years old (in a few months)

I'm a strong intermediate rider however I did the Rouge Roubaix Century last week (a really tough road century with a lot of off road dirt roads to go through) in 5 hours and 52 minutes without putting a foot down but once to refill my water (less than a minute). 

My training - I've been doing base miles up until next week and I'm moving into some anaerobic endurance training.

I've been spinning for over a year consistently and have many centuries under my belt.  I'll be doing the Cohutta 100 MTB Century in a month and the TNGA (350 miles) endurance race in August.

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:49 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »

This question may be silly, but I'm trying to find an answer.  I'm planning to race the Tour in 2013 - so I'm training (I'm nowhere near fit enough to do it in 2012) - I have an endurance coach who has me in a pretty rigorous schedule and I'm improving my times, endurance and strength.

this is all great...but I'm having issues with my metabolism.  Basically, I'm always hungry.  Period.  I can eat a reasonable dinner and within 20-30 minutes (if that) I'm having hunger pains.  Sometimes (not all the time) I even get hungry while on the bike riding - usually my metabolism is maintained during rides (I use Hammergel perpetuem while riding).

Generally I eat small portions of meals - so I eat 6-7 times a day actually (like an apple, or a scoop of peanut butter with no sugar).  I don't consume simple carbs or things out of a box - generally it's prepared.  I know I'm lacking in fiber and going to start eating some All Bran cereal to see if an intake of fiber will help.

I tried the opposite of just consuming whatever I wanted and my weight skyrocketed in no time flat.  So that's not working.

So the answers I'm looking for are:

Is constant hunger normal for the level of training I'm doing (12 hours in the saddle average per week)?
Could anyone give me their thoughts and ideas on an eating plan ("eat whatever you want" does not work for me)

thanks guys!

I'm not a nutritionist, so take my concerns/advice with half a grain of salt.

5-7 small meals a day is a good way to boost/speed up your metabolism and burn fat. it's going to make you hungry more often. 1 apple, or one scoop of peanut butter is not a small meal, it's a snack. If you're a sedentary adult, you probably need between 1800 and 2400 calories a day. If you are an active adult who is training, you can probably double that and not get fat. So, I think the reason you're always hungry is that your eating habits have sped up your metabolism yet you're not eating enough to replenish what you burn.

When touring or multiday racing, you'll be able to eat just about anything you want and not gain any weight.

Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:15 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »

When I'm training hard, and not trying to lose (or gain) weight, I generally eat fewer & bigger meals. Otherwise, I never feel satisfied, and I'm always hungry--which leads to constant nibbling on empty calories like cookies, candy, etc. So, instead, after a long ride, I'll sit down to a HUGE meal of whole grains (brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, etc.), chicken or fish, and LOTS of veggies. Maybe a little dessert too, if I'm still hungry. By hitting satiation once a day, I figure that my body decides that I'm not starving after all--even though I may be burning 1500-2500 calories more than usual.

But, like Sean, I'm definitively not a nutritionist or trainer. I know that a lot of people recommend eating lots of smaller meals, but it's never worked for me. When I do snack, I usually have small handfuls of salted & smoked almonds--which are very satisfying, and the salt is probably OK especially when it's hot. I also love chocolate, but I stick to the really  dark stuff--which is actually somewhat healthy!

"Done"

Topic Name: Training and metabolism question(s) Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:48 PM
sjanes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »

I have replaced my between meal snacks of cookies, chips, junk food, with broccoli, carrots, apples, bananas, raw foods, etc.  I have been amazed that while I still get hungry, I eat something about every hour, the onset of hunger is way slower, and I don't have to eat something immediately.  In essence, I am no longer bonking, because I am eating less sugar.  I'm not a vegetarian, love me some red meat.   I am also more energized and my on the bike energy has increased as well.  My advice,  snack on raw veggies and fruit.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: