Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:52 PM
elobeck

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »

What is the best way to capture data for an "official" time on a given course? i.e grand loop, etc. Is Spot track data generally accepted, is GPS tracking the way to go? What have others done?

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:56 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »

I'm very interested in this too...  I know Trackleaders(Scott) is on the board and can hopefully chime in on this.  I have a ITT of a trip planned later this year on a not often ridden course that has an existing record, and I want to know how exactly it works.  Can I contact Trackleaders and then give them my SPOT info(I don't own one yet) and they will be the "overseer" of the record attempt, and then be able to "verify" the record?  With that, what do they charge? 

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:03 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »

To my knowledge, neither GPS tracks or Spot logs have been required to verify official times. Riders have simply reported their times, and their word has generally been taken as fact.

But there is an interesting caveat. While Spot logs are not required to prove route compliance, they have been used to forcibly disqualify racers. Therefore, a rider who commits a course-deviation (intentionally or unintentionally) while carrying a live Spot is more likely to be discovered and disqualified than a rider who does not carry one.

Having witnessed a rider attempt to cheat by deactivating his Spot and riding in a car (2010 CTR), I know that there is sometimes reason to question people's self-reported times. But I also really like the honor system, which has proven to be very effective--even to the point of a record-holder self-relegating after discovering a minor (and unintentional) route deviation while reviewing his GPS data almost a YEAR AFTER he completed the race. The former is an unfortunate example of the latitude that the current system enables, and the latter is an awesome example why the honor system is so great.

I don't think much will change. I doubt that any of the race organizers are really itching to require riders to provide independent verification of course and/or rule compliance. I believe that the vast majority of what people report can be trusted. But cheaters will cheat, and I expect that some will be caught, and some will get away with it.

Personally, I record my GPS track and save my Spot record. It's fun to review after the race and to update maps for the following year. And if anyone ever challenges me, I have proof of my route compliance. In the aforementioned example of cheating during the CTR, my public Spot log actually helped the race organizer uncover the cheater. In the unlikely event that I actually win a race some day (ha ha), I'd probably post my GPS and Spot logs for the hell of it.

"Done"

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:55 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »

Sending a GPX file is normally fine, but we can watch you on the SPOT to verify also. SPOT rentals were $30 for last year's events or you can borrow one from someone.

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:09 PM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »

Good question Fully Loaded.

It all depends on how much you want to make it "legit" to "others". There will always be somebody in the "record" world that will question a record if it has not been recorded. GPS and SPOT tracking will prove it. And if you are challenging a record that has not been recorded then you can claim that yours has been and maybe start to encourage others to use the technology.

This is what drove me to record my self-supported ITT of the RAAM course (espically since RAAM was not going to recognize it). I could not find any data on anybody claiming doing this, so now there is record of this. I do things for myself but these are amazing adventures and efforts we are pursuing, so why not record it.

I also think it helps motivate others to challenge a recorded record.

Just my 2 cents...

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:09 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »

Since I've used several methods for this, I'll toss in my 2 cents.

Historically, it has been by recorded various means.  Technically speaking, it can be done with a stopwatch - and that's how I've done geared and SS KT ITTs.  That said - I would strongly recommend using a GPS to track an ITT.  A tight GPS track will appease any naysayers about your ride.  SPOT use is great, especially for significant others and as a safety net, but it does not have good enough time resolution to record exact start and finishes.  Used with a watch it's a good solution.

So, some options are...

stopwatch: easiest, but won't back up your claims.

GPS: great resolution (assuming you know how to setup your unit correctly!), backs up claims.  You can share the track with the world, or just with whoever will post the time to verify course compliance.  Keep in mind those tracks reveal your entire strategy, those familiar with them can tell you more about your ride than you remember Wink  I do have a track for my 2nd grand loop but only 2 others I know of have seen it.  It also has power data...but I digress...

SPOT + stopwatch: good solution and entertaining for others.

ITTs are the best.  Enjoy!

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:05 AM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »

Thanks all for weighing in. I plan on giving the KT a go this spring, I just want to see how close to the record I can actually get, and if a miracle happens, the well.......

seems like spot + stopwatch +gps should cover all bases.

Topic Name: Logging record attempt times on an ITT Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:28 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »

In the ultra-running scene, a stopwatch and digital photos have been the norm. 

+1 for SPOT & stopwatch though - I think that ought to be a new standard for ITTs.  With the CTR record as hard as it is, I won't accept a new ITT record without some sort of verification.  A SPOT track is certainly the easiest in that respect.

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: