Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Weight training for CTR on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:02 PM
fritz

... in God's country ...

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »

[with regrets if I overlooked an identical topic in my search]

CTR 2012 hopeful here. I thru-hiked the CT last summer in twenty-four days. On the trail, I tried
to dissuade myself from coming back on bike, and even took pictures of protracted hike-a-bike sections. However, selective memory triumphs, and it's my intent to finish the race. 

My question is this: how important is weight training for CTR? Would a body-weight regimen of pushups, pullups, crunches and squats suffice, or should I add weight? If I did, I'd probably get an exercise ball for a bench and use dumbbells.

Thanks for any advice or recommended exercises.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:24 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

I would definitely recommend some weight training for the CTR. I didn't do any in 2010, and my back, shoulders, and arms really suffered. Embarrassingly, there were time when I literally had to walk down hills because my neck and back just couldn't cope anymore. Pushing also gets pretty tiring.

There are probably a thousand different workouts that will help. Push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups are a great place to start. That's what I did last year, and my back never got sore--even when I rode Kokopelli's straight through (I'm slow, so it took me 24 hours--which is a LONG time to be in the saddle).

"Done"

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:30 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »

+2 for some weight training. Nothing too crazy, but riding a bike and pushing a 35-40 bike use different muscles. And the CTR will ask you to use both.

I seem to change up my strength exercises a lot (because I don't really like doing them).  Now a days most of my strength training involves light weights and a ball.  The idea for me to keep everything 3 dimensional and add balance in wherever I can. And the stronger my core is the better time I seem to have. So I'll be increasing my core workouts too - once again, lots of work on the ball.

Another smart way to get some strength train in is to push your loaded bike up some steep stuff. I'll be pushing my DH bike up some fun stuff this spring summer because it's a lot more fun on the downhill and the DH bike weighs as much or a little more then the loaded xc bike.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:15:38 PM by bartspedden » Logged

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:46 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

What do you guys recommend if you are riding, running and doing some strength training (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, ball exercises, etc) and your back is consistently achy and tired?? That is my situation at the moment. I can't really pinpoint what it is that aggravates it, and I don't really notice it while riding. But after a longer ride or a tough workout I look like a 70-year old - all hunched over.

Do I just keep it up and hope the workouts will strengthen up my back, or should I try some more recovery/stretching/medicating??

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:13 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »

If I was having those experiences I would see an acupuncturist that works with athletes. Boulder Sports Medicine would be a good place to start since it's not too far away.   

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:47 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

Do I just keep it up and hope the workouts will strengthen up my back, or should I try some more recovery/stretching/medicating??
Sounds to me like whatever you are doing isn't working too well, so I think that you might want to re-think things a bit and figure out what's causing the pain. I'd start with checking to make sure that you are using proper form when doing situps, etc. I know that it sounds silly, but a lot of people hurt themselves using incorrect form with basic exercises. Swinging by a local gym and paying a trainer to check you out wouldn't hurt. A trainer with bike-specific experience would be best. If that doesn't help, then I'd check you bike fit next. Some good shops offer fitting services.

"Done"

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:18 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »

Thanks, some good ideas...never thought of getting fitted, I just adjust my seat, jump on and go! Although I've never noticed the bike being the culprit, been riding it for years in current setup. I think the workouts must have something to do with the back aches since they seem to coincide pretty well - it's possible I am using some bad form.

Or maybe I am just getting old  Wink

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:55 AM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »

My weight training for CTR this summer will consist of doing a whole lot of enginerd homework hunched over a desk in a dark room, and going for long walks in the woods with a pretty lady.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:12 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

Do you have access to crossfit?  IMO it gives the best bang for your time absolutely where you need it, without adding bulk.  2-3 hours a week is plenty.  Prime movers + full body strength + power.  It ain't easy but it works well.  Complement that with real hike a bike practice and yer all set.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:32 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »

What do you guys recommend if you are riding, running and doing some strength training (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, ball exercises, etc) and your back is consistently achy and tired??

... should I try some more recovery/stretching/medicating??

Stretching by way of Yoga has worked well for me to relieve what sounds like similar symptoms.  No matter how 'strong' my core, I can still wake up super stiff and painful in the lower back area the next morning.  Constant and consistent stretching of all muscles, especially hip flexors and IT bands, psoas, etc. has helped me out more than I can ever say.  Something about twists by way of yoga poses, as well as back-bends, has done wonders.  And I'm not talking magazine-cover-photo-shot-twisted-like-a-pretzel yoga poses.  I'm talking fully-supported-with-blocks-foam-and-using-straps-because-I'm-so-stiff/tight-I-can't-reach kind of yoga.

Worth a try based on my experience.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:37 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »

To revive an old thread...

I'm not training for anything 'cept long rides, overall health and stuff, but to echo what mikepro mentioned - yoga.  Seriously worked wonders for me, too.  My simple regimen includes push-ups, planks, pull-ups, deadlifts, running and riding... but not much makes my body feel as good as yoga.  Feeling strong is one thing, but feeling strong without aches and pains is just dang nice.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 07:42:35 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »

I'll take any psoas stretches that seem to work well for people. Mine are exceptionally tight.

Topic Name: Weight training for CTR Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 11:08:27 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »

I started doing core work for the first time this winter in prep for TDR. I talked to a buddy who is an amateur body builder and was surprised to find out that a lot of his core work is non-movement (can't remember the word, isometric?). Basically planks, side planks, supermans, etc.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: