Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Sleep Monster on: June 18, 2009, 08:15:57 AM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

KMC was the first time I got hit by the sleep monster. I had plenty of power left in my legs (I think ;-) and energy was good. I just couldn't keep my eyes open after 22 hours. I wanted to keep going and it irked me that my eyelids kept closing. I was taking in enough caffeine to keep me awake under normal circumstances. In a last ditch attempt to stay awake I took in probably too much caffeine and it made me even more sleepy. In this crowd I realize 22 hours on the bike is just getting started!

Dave Kirk - how on earth did you keep it going for 41 hours without stopping?

Any other tips to keep it rolling without the eyelids falling down?

This is a new genre of racing for me. I'm looking forward to a good learning curve. KMC certainly taught me a lesson  thumbsup

Lynda

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:10 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

Oh yes the sleep monster, I am all good for about 22-28 hours then the eyes go. I found short naps, good lights, and eye protection help. I got shut down the last morning of the GLR, was psyched to go the whole way and just an hour before sunrise I just couldn't keep the eyes open, started to get grumpy, sat ,ate, half hour nap, all good to go, 40+ hours, just 1/2 hour nap, not bad.  The eyes can be sensitive little buggers, not sure if this is any help, but hell we are just human, or some of us are, Peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:31 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:31 AM »

Hey Lynda,
Yeah, what Jeffe said. Everyone is different but we all have the same physiologic make up with variables between us. One of the pathways is regulated by melatonin. I starts to be released as low light conditions occur. (DiLMO dim light melatonin onset) within 1.5 to 2 hours after DiLMO the pressure to sleep increases and continues until dawn. I'm sure you've experienced that pick up in energy during a 24 hour event right before dawn.
Then there is the issue of body core temperature. As core temperature drops sleep onset is stimulated.
Also, some new research shows people who tend to like to get up early vs "night owls" perform less optimally during sleep deprived situations.
Don't forget caffeine. It can help to a point. To be most effective, a withdrawl of caffeine several days before an event makes it more effective.
Also there is sleep before an event. Short yourself, and you need it that much sooner.
As you can see, tons of variables, and I've just scratched the surface.
I think for me, the hardest is going through the night. As I was walking the steeps, I think that helped. Just getting off the bike and doing something different helped. That's what those sand traps are good for icon_biggrin.
It's gonna hit you at some time, the need to  sleepy1. As Jeffe said a short nap can do wonders.
Hope that helps,
Dave

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

Yeah I meant to say that another thing I do is walk alot!!! I know it sounds crazy, but walking relaxes the eyes, head and legs, helps me out a ton, peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:13 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

Ditto on the short nap(s).  Amazing how many more hours of go-time 15 minutes of brain shutdown can give you.  I normally take a long time to fall asleep, and even in these multiday events I sometimes cannot sleep when I know I should.  That's what sucks the most - being so tired that all you want to do is sleep, but you can't.  I'll take the sleep monster any day over that situation - when he finally rears his head and takes me, I can go down in 30 seconds.  Then after 15 minutes, frequently of vivid-quasi-lucid-stream-of-semiconsiousness dreaming, I often awaken refreshed enough to double the pace where I left off.

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:37:12 PM
Enel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

There are no tricks and you never get used to it.  Six years of being awake 36 hours every fifth night, followed by five children in rapid succession attest to this.

Short naps help.  If you can get two hours sleep in the middle of a long stretch, it can push you through.

Some folks are absolutely more gifted in this area.  Being young helps as I have noticed a distinct worsening in my ability to go all day, all night, and all the next day as I approach forty.

Having a task to focus on is the best remedy.  No one falls asleep performing an engaging technical task that they need to stay sharp for.  I bet the riding you were doing was very much non-tech in nature (you could do it in your sleep:))

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:48:09 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »

I was taking 5 minute naps laying down in the middle of the trail on this years Divide. Sometimes it took a few of them to get me going again but it was pretty effective. I've done 15 minute ones too. I'm hesitant to go longer than 15 minutes without being prepared for 90 though since sometimes I get groggy pretty bad if I sleep for 30-40 minutes and it doesn't help in the long run.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:09 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »

i second what dkirk says regarding the sleep monster known as DiMLO. circadian rhythm is a powerful (and beautiful) thing. i've always advised people re. divide racing to remove their tinted lenses and switch to clear an hour or so (sooner in woods) before the sun goes down.

when fatigue is extreme i have also found it helps my eyes to mount my lights lower (on the bike) so as to achieve lowest angle light/best relief imaging. staring directly into/across the splash of a helmet-mounted flood light (particularly if water vapor and/or airborne dust is up) causes reflections right back into the eyes, which tires them more quickly and doesn't lend to the shadows/other detail eyes need to remain stimulated, moving from object to object, between shallow and deep focus.

i agree with plesko on duration of catnaps that there is a point of diminishing returns unless you go for 90++ minutes.

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:04 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:04 AM »

I just sleep.
MMMMM....sleeeeeeeeep.
Hammocks and 8-plus hours.
But, oh yeah, I'm touring,  not racing....

Helpful, huh?

Topic Name: Sleep Monster Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:08 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »

I just sleep.
MMMMM....sleeeeeeeeep.
Hammocks and 8-plus hours.
But, oh yeah, I'm touring,  not racing....

Helpful, huh?

Amen Brother...Amen.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: