Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Singlespeed TD SomethingNEW Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:34 AM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:34 AM »

My buddy runs a flip flop with two chain rings so he gets a bailout gear and a normal gear all on the same chain length. But he is a monster on SS cross bike anyway.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Singlespeed TD SomethingNEW Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:52 AM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:52 AM »

I know a few of you have met her and know her but has anyone heard from Deanna since she got to Paris all of her blogs are out of date and I haven't heard anything. Also haven't heard from Adrian "super vegan" as well. Phil-Rad, David any word?

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Singlespeed TD SomethingNEW Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 07:54:24 PM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »

I'm running a double dingle with a shlumpf. technically an 8 speed bike. The schlumpf has a bit of  lag on pickup but the on the fly 2 speed is money. front and rear 135 spaced wheels with 2 cogs per...each it's own dingle. couple master links changes chain length between front and rear wheels' dingles. (two chains? really?) A mouthful, but it works. Dingles aren't perfection either...the equal teeth difference makes sense, but the difference in ring/cog diameters isn't accounted for... compensating with a deeper tooth profile on the taller gear is supposed to be the trick (not known through personal experience, I just live with the slightly slack chain in the easier gear).  Derailleur-less and tensionerless is the point. 8 speeds with no shifters. Can't feel any extra drag on the planetary gear, not that it's not there, just undetectable. The extra drag only exists in the one gear as well, the other gear is direct drive. I rarely change between dingle gears and even less between wheels, but changing once a day depending on wind or terrain works decently. I wouldn't consider it to be a single speed at all, just a way to build a more reliable bike.

* drivetrain.jpg (788.44 KB, 3664x2748 - viewed 186 times.)
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: