Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #660 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:16 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »

Look...like many here I'm a rookie.  Yes, I've got over 30 years of riding in these legs and many years of racing, but no bikepacking.  Backpacking yes, but not bikepacking.  I've obsessed over equipment and I'll have at least one multi-day shakedown before the event.   I've spent two years training specifically for this race and unless something happens, I'll be there in June, with either 75 or 150 other people.  It's not that many people either way.  We start and within 10 miles, we separate.  Impact is low. After a couple of days, very low.  I think the folks in Banff are happy to have customers...even us!

This is a gentleman's race.  Some people will cheat...that's on them and they have to live with that.  I don't think it will be the leaders but if I see it, I'll document it and post. I won't dwell on it though. For most, this race is not about winning, most of us will never achieve that...it's about pushing oneself beyond what we believe is our limit and keeping on going.  I'm over 50 so I know I won't be up front but I will be pushing hard every day.  I might crack, but that's where the fun is...that point right before you crack...and staying there...for as long as you can.

There will be people who come unprepared...although to me it appears to be less than when I first started watching 3 or so years ago.  They will fail...or not...and either come back stronger the next year or decide it's not for them.  I'm cool with that.

In terms of JayP...he's intense with a well earned opinion.  Agree with him...or don't.  He probably doesn't care, he's busy. I think it's cool he's putting on the training camp and although it's not for me, I can see some value in it for some.  I hope it earns him $ so I can follow his adventure in the future.

I'm starting to get stoked about the start.  It's really not that far away at this point.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started...finally. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #661 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:13 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

Interesting.  How did my post inspire that?
The Muses work in mysterious ways. Wink

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #662 on: March 22, 2013, 03:06:36 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 22, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »

probably already said this - I'm a rookie, but I like endurance cycling and have trained hard for this race.  I aim to compete - and I aim to not give up but as I've said before, if it weren't for the movie, I'd not even known about it.

I am not talking about ppl like you, I am referring to the 30 or so folks who will show up with their own agenda, and will one day ruin these races. The ones who take advantage of a situation and dont care about the purity of the sport. They want to turn it into something like the lame day races of current mtbdom (like the ridiculous notion we SHOULD travel in pairs for safety reasons- quit trying to change things). You obviously have a passion for this- like me. Your blog is not self serving dribble. This is not your 15 minutes.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #663 on: March 22, 2013, 03:10:35 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 22, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

Wink
Well, in the Tour Divide you can call ahead for it (once the race starts) Wink
Yes- but you cant have it delivered to the route like the guy in AZT300 last year. I love that interpretation of the rules is basically a tactic used by racers. Like Mike C. once said, if you find yourself looking for loopholes in the rules, maybe one should wait a year to gain experience and not have to resort to rule-bending.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #664 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:56 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »

Tour Divide Race ... part Tour, part Race?  No, TDR is a race.  Bike race, adventure race, Cannonball Run on mtn bikes, call it what you will.  The race aspect is getting more and more left out, especially in the title of this thread.  One can Tour under his/her own established rules and/or ideals.  One can enter the Race under the established guidelines.  Don't like it?  Don't race.  Go Tour instead, as fast as you can.

Entering the event means challenging the route in either direction in an attempt to qualify for general classification.  In the Spirit of the Event, it's now 23.5 days or less, gentlemen, to be considered competitive.  This is straight from the Race website.  Do not lose sight of this in your race prep, nor when commenting about the Race.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #665 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:54 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

First let me state, I have participated in several internet forum's. This site is really the only one I have seen that most, if not all the discussion stays just that, discussion. I see pissing matches start on forums over the most silly things and commend this forums participants for their gentlemanly behavior.

I am participating in 2014. I have been training physically with a coach for the last 10 months and (barring injuries or setbacks) will have nearly 24 months in prior to the start. I will be 52 at the start. My goal is simply to finish.

With this forums help, I hope to be better preparred for the challenges of all manner, physically, mentally, mechanically that are bound to arise. I may even try JP's school. It certainly cannot hurt your odd's.

I just hope everyone remembers that there are, I'm sure many lurkers such as myself, who come here to learn from others experience.

Steve

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #666 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:37 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »

Tour Divide Race ... part Tour, part Race?  No, TDR is a race.  Bike race, adventure race, Cannonball Run on mtn bikes, call it what you will.  The race aspect is getting more and more left out, especially in the title of this thread.  One can Tour under his/her own established rules and/or ideals.  One can enter the Race under the established guidelines.  Don't like it?  Don't race.  Go Tour instead, as fast as you can.

Entering the event means challenging the route in either direction in an attempt to qualify for general classification.  In the Spirit of the Event, it's now 23.5 days or less, gentlemen, to be considered competitive.  This is straight from the Race website.  Do not lose sight of this in your race prep, nor when commenting about the Race.

I would think 23.5 days is VERY liberal considering that the record is some 17 and change.  In any bike race there are only a very few who are truly "competitive".  Coming in nearly a week after the record time doesn't strike me as being "competitive".

So to me, that makes it essentially a "tour" for most who attempt it.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I admire ANYONE who takes on and completes this challenge, competitive or not.    
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:30:51 PM by JRA » Logged

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #667 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:15 PM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »

I'm tweaking my cool weather gear for the race.  I've been using some Castelli bib tights that I love for shorter training rides, but they have a chamois and they are bib tights, which makes them a PITA to take on and off.

I'd prefer no straps and no chamois so I can stick to my 1 pair of shorts.  Anybody have a better suggestion than http://www.boure.com/2556.html ?  Can anyone definitively tell me that those will be overkill or too warm?  For more borderline conditions I'll also be taking knee warmers.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #668 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:37 PM
drews256

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »

Talking about cool weather gear. How cold can you expect to get in Canada. I have seen many pictures/movies of some serious snow. But what will the temperatures be like? I can do cold but how cold are we talking? I am hoping to bring 1 long sleeve jersey and one windbreaker/rain coat (haven't figured out which one yet) and arm warmers. Plus knee warmers and tights for the bottom.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #669 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:47 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »

Well, here's the official overall word on what the Tour Divide is all about.  Anyone who wants to challenge themselves more is certainly welcome to:

The Tour Divide challenge is based on one guiding principle: Cycle Adventure Cycling Association's Great Divide Route end-to-end, as fast as possible in a solo / self-supported fashion.

The Particulars:

Who: Any determined cyclist may challenge the Great Divide Route at any time, in either direction, to qualify for the Tour Divide (TD) historical general classification (GC).

When: All summer long...however, an informal group start date known as the 'grand depart' traditionally kicks off the season 2nd week of June from both termini.

Spirit: Above all, attempts are intended to be solo / self-supported, self-timed, and observed as one stage, i.e., one's clock runs non-stop. The challenge is complete upon arrival to the opposite GDMBR terminus from start. There are no required checkpoints or designated rest periods on course. There is no finish time cut-off, however, current convention considers a competitive Divide Route finish time as approximately 1.5 times (x) course records. Currently this = 25days (~110 mi/day) for men, and 29.5 days (93 mi/day) for women.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #670 on: March 22, 2013, 05:30:04 PM
TDrider2014

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 22, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »

If it helps JayP and Tracey keep doing awesome things, I'm all for it - they've paid their dues Wink

Is it MY (personal) style? Hell no, but I'm an idiot and "out of my depth" is more modus operandi than it should as I get to be wizened and old.

Maybe his rant was more about unprepared people on the route, and if so, a clinic is a solution to the problem. This is a great example of stepping up, rather than just complaining. The person who dislikes the grub, becomes the cook, and all that.

I don't post often but I side with JayP.  Sure, he may be intense and all but he is spot on.  

Just an example, I read about Jefe racing some guy on the CTR.  Jefe found a guy atop a mountain in the middle of the trail, cold and freezing.  His bike was thrown to the side.  Jefe stated that he kindly asked if the guy needed anything and the guy said a jacket.  He didn't have a jacket to offer but he did suggest they walk down the hill together to warm up.  These subtle things are huge.  

1.  Had they ridden down, well, that was impossible because you'd freeze.  In TdF they use Newspaper to block wind from freezing themselves on downhills.  

2. Another point, he could have relaxed atop of the hill if he had a trash bag, that is a trash bag Vest, simple and light. It'll make you sweat even.

3. Also, ever think about carrying with you a Shower Cap?  That would be for shaking off the sweat from you head and then keeping your head warm.  All light gear and weighs nothing.

Btw, these ideas are all Multisport Racing or Adventure racing ideas.

I raced Jay once and his wife.  I was SS and they were tandem.  I had them through about 25 of a 100.  But coming down a fast technical downhill they caught me.  I sprinted away for 1 more mile then they went powering by me. They are tough for sure.

Anyhow, I was on Jay's side, even last year when he spoke out about the Win from TD2012.  You can't compare the New Zealand guy because this is not what he does.  But Jay chooses to do this - or I should say this is what he lives for.  He lives for distances, micro managing his TTs, for thinking in tight spots, for being driven, etc.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:10:37 PM by TDrider2014 » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #671 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:27 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »

Just an example, I read about Jefe racing some guy on the CTR.  
I'm not really sure what your point is. That "some guy" that Jefe came across was non other than Ethan Passant, who had previously won the CTR twice. He come in 3rd in 2007, 1st in 2008, 1st in 2010, and 2nd in 2012. Further, Ethan placed 3rd in the Tour Divide.

If anything, Ethan is an "example" of an incredibly tough, experienced, inspiring, and respectable rider.

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #672 on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:41 PM
TDrider2014

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

I'm not really sure what your point is. That "some guy" that Jefe came across was non other than Ethan Passant, who had previously won the CTR twice. He come in 3rd in 2007, 1st in 2008, 1st in 2010, and 2nd in 2012. Further, Ethan placed 3rd in the Tour Divide.

If anything, Ethan is an "example" of an incredibly tough, experienced, inspiring, and respectable rider.

Damn or Dang, lol  Smiley

You can't say anything on Forums.  No wonder I don't hang out on them. Smiley  I'm smiling, that means I'm cool with the immediate criticism.

My point(?), well it was missed.  I don't care who was freezing, was he not freezing?  Answer that much.

See I can list a handful of people that have sadly passed away.  These people were tough athletes and they made a miscalculation.  That's all that someone like Jay P or myself would speak about.  To offer up advice or tips, for words of caution.

For instance, you can look up his name but he died last year in Death Valley - during the summer months.  He was a Death Valley, California Ultra Runner.  He went out for a 6 mile traverse that turned into a 10 to 11 mile run and he ran out of water.  RIP, sad, sad story.

Another guy, from Texas was on a 200 to 300 mile paddle down to the Gulf of Mexico, GPS tracked on one of these site.  That's how I learned of him.  From one of these Tracker Site.  He drank too much water, it's called Hyponatremia.

So one last case, I read about a TD 2012 guy that show up to Antelope Wells, and he merely looked at the vastness of the desert and the Wildfire smoke on the horizon.  That was enough to tell him that he need to go home.  If people want to have accidents, or if they are loaded with Cash money to go to the TD just to head immediately back home - then sure I'll gladly read about them.  But ...

All someone like me or JayP is saying is - always be an amateur.  Learn something always, be careful, don't bash adventure racing, don't bash orienteering, learn about Hyponatremia, don't get scared off by Wildfire smoke, etc, etc.

Peace

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #673 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:03 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »

For the most part cheaters are vetted out. Drafting is something that is hard to nail down and you have to have some faith in humanity in regards to it, perhaps. I think overall there is a concern that so many people are starting that you don't even have to draft to become influenced by another rider's presence. I think that's part of what Jay was saying, at the risk of putting words in his mouth. But make no bones, TD was already reaching large numbers before Ride the Divide. Now it's even bigger. With more riders inevitably comes issues. But also understand there is no real "control." Matt can deal with cheaters in the sense that he can relegate them and remove them from official TD mention. But the idea that you can limit how many people go to the GD and ride is futile. You simply have to deal with issues as they come. There is no purse, no real way to police it save enough people coming forward to corroborate a charge, and GPS. Off-course cheats are much easier to prove than drafters. In the end, you have to let some chips fall where they may. The only way you can truly nail it is to require record contention be an ITT. I don't know that we want to go there.

My part is to cover it. I like that more people are interested and taking part. It's a race I can't get enough of, though I'll likely never ride it. But people feel just as strongly about the old days the way it was ridden before. Change is inevitable. And with change comes good and bad, comfortable and uncomfortable. There is a certain amount of truth to, "Yeah, well I rode it when..." It doesn't make one right and one wrong, just different.

My hat is off to Jay in that he truly believes this race has more meaning ridden solo. And he's right on so many levels. When it's not just you and the route, it's you and there's nothing you can do about it and the route, it brings a level of difficulty to the table that having someone else there simply can't. I don't know if it makes your ride better than anyone else's. But mad props to Jay for saying, "This is what I think" and going out and showing everyone why by reclaiming the record.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #674 on: March 22, 2013, 07:27:45 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: March 22, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »

learn about Hyponatremia,

I deal with that, a lot...

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #675 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:25 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »

I think this race is becoming the mtb equivalent of thru-hiking the appalachian trail. It's a challenge for everyone, but for most the challenge is doing it as fast as possible. Hell, I know a guy that toured the route on a Unicycle. It took him 88 days. On a bike, I'd be bored to death covering in 88 days. I want to go fast. I think everyone else that lines up for the grand depart wants to go as fast as they can. Just because the race is becoming popular doesn't mean that these people are just there to tour.

Additionally, there's nothing more than pride at stake, what does it matter how fast your time is? It's a self fulfillment thing. I'm racing myself, first and foremost, there just happens to be other people around that I'd like to go faster than.

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #676 on: March 23, 2013, 04:45:52 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 23, 2013, 04:45:52 AM »

My hat is off to Jay in that he truly believes this race has more meaning ridden solo.

If you start on your own how can it be a race?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #677 on: March 23, 2013, 08:36:04 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 23, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »

Talking about cool weather gear. How cold can you expect to get in Canada. I have seen many pictures/movies of some serious snow. But what will the temperatures be like? I can do cold but how cold are we talking? I am hoping to bring 1 long sleeve jersey and one windbreaker/rain coat (haven't figured out which one yet) and arm warmers. Plus knee warmers and tights for the bottom.

You might want to consider a little more warm gear, which you can always ship back.

FWIW and it should be worth a lot - Here's a reply from krefs from the TDR 2012 thread.

"A few considerations I'd ponder based on gear lists I've seen here today and elsewhere:

- Imagine how cold it will be if you get stuck riding in cool temps and rain for several days straight. Got sufficient warm clothes for that? Is your rain gear truly waterproof, or does the manufacturer just claim it is?

- Recovery at night is more important than almost anything else. Sleeping on the lightest possible pad might not be the best for your body.

- Don't underestimate all the parts on your bike that can wear out or break, or how abrasive the mud in the West can be. Some stretches are as long as 800 miles in between bike shops. Make sure you've got the parts and tools necessary to fix anything on your bike that could reasonably fail. Just look back to previous years' race discussions for an idea of how common such failures are.

- None of these gear lists posted today really have any minor first-aid kits that I can see. That seems like a bit of oversight in my opinion. A big part of being self-sufficient is having the knowledge and materials to take care of injuries.

- Bear spray: Sleeping next to your bike, smelling of food, a grizz happens upon you. How good are you at fighting a bear as you try to extricate yourself from your cozy sleeping bag and bivy? The odds are slim that this'll ever happen, but how much of a gamble are you willing to take?

My advice: stop counting grams and plan for adversity and challenge of all types, especially if you're new to this sort of event/experience. These kits look acceptable for fair weather and happy bodies, but as soon as something goes to shit (bad weather, bike failure, crash, etc.), things get tough. Not having one crucial replacement part could cost you a day or more on the trail. Not having enough warm clothing for the often cold and miserable mountain weather this often race includes can be a major safety issue. And nothing is more important than doing everything you can to take care of your body.

And keep in mind that the weather we had (at least the leaders) during the 2011 race was about as perfect as it could get, with the exception of the NM heat. Look back to the miserable weather and awful mud from the 2010 and 2009 editions for a reminder of what could be...broken bikes, broken souls, and high attrition rates."

Woody

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #678 on: March 23, 2013, 08:45:12 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

2012 - rain and snow with temps in the 40s during the day and down to freezing or slightly below at night.  Can you ride all day in a cold rain and then sleep comfortably outdoors with the gear you have?

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #679 on: March 23, 2013, 07:23:55 PM
TDrider2014

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 23, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »

I don't know the average temps on the days in Canada, but this winter I camped in 7 degrees wind chill; with windy conditions.

The tent was vented with screen but I had a rain fly.  I don't know if it get this cold in Canada at the Grand depart - but for me it typically happens as follows.  When the cold air permeates everything, and even inside your sleeping bag.  I tend to ball up in the fetal position and stare out of a 2 inch hold (an air hole) – that is the top of my sleeping bag. On this one day it was almost scary cold.

Every 20 minutes for 8 hours, I get this cold shiver that runs from the top of my head to my feet.  This makes for horrible sleep and lack of recovery.  But it's better than nothing.  So you awake once every hour.

Now, the fix.  If it's below 0 or single digit.  You can line your sleeping bag with a Space Blanket, but you risk getting condensation; or water droplets forming above you on the space blanket.  Anyhow, it's warmer – than without a Space blanket.  Sleep with some of your gear, like a beanie and gloves.  If you really want comfort take and experiment with a Tea light and cig lighter – that'll provide some heat.  Just don't burn anything. Smiley  I might do this when it's 20 and my fingers need some warming up; make a little fire.

You may also get motel rooms or you may stay in cabins.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

About what I posted earlier, I'm not too concerned with the cheaters or the solo aspect of the race; but I just had concerns where 2 out of 3 people might be against JayPs postings or ideas.  So I had to throw in my support.

Btw, JayP has a cool video on his Blog, it's titled “No Secrets”

http://jaypetervary.blogspot.com/2012/10/no-secrets.html
  Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: