Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:58 AM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

Hi guys and gals,

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I could use your help with GPS selection.  I'm hoping to race the TD next year.  I have no delusions about going as fast as the top riders, but I want to try to go as fast as I can and ride long, full days.  Many folks have said that GPS units are better for speed than maps.  I plan to carry both, but I'm not clear exactly how the GPS unit works in regards to navigation.

Can you program the TD route into the GPS?  How does that work?  Do you download it from somewhere and then move it from your computer to the GPS unit?  How accurate is it?  For folks who have primarily used the GPS have you also had to open up the maps?  Finally, if you can program the route into the GPS, is it pretty clear when you're supposed to turn, etc?

I'm looking at the Garmin Oregon 300.  Any thoughts on whether that's the right one for this kind of adventure?

For my little local bikepacking trips here in NJ I'm just printing up Google maps and combined with my smart phone I can get where I'm going, but I know the smartphone won't work out on the TD . . .

Thanks so much,
Payton

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:10 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »

For the questions you asked.  Yes you can put the TD route data into the GPS as a .gpx file.  You download the proper file onto your computer, then transfer the file to your GPS unit with the software that came with the gps.  Accuracy depends on how many waypoints there are in the .gpx file and the length and complexity of the route.  There is a limit of 10000 waypoints per track.  For the GPS that I have (Garmin Dakota 20) it is very easy to see where to go while riding the bike.  I have never had to look at my map when I had my gps working...my gps has a map on it.  It is a touch screen so I can also change setting or do anything that I need to while riding the bike.  It is a good idea to carry the maps as a backup.

Hope that helps.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:53 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »

Thanks so much!  Very helpful.  Where does one get the file for the TD?

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »

http://topofusion.com/divide/gps.php

The .gpx file for the 2012 race wont be up for awhile I am guessing.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:23:27 PM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Garmin eTrex HC -  pretty tough, not terribly expensive, uses AA's, decent battery life.  The .gpx downloads to the unit's memory (I think it was 20 tracks with 500 waypoints each as the limit but don't quote me).  Maps have to be loaded onto a seperate SD card, not sold with the unit.  I carried a spare flash drive with the .gpx, spare SD card with maps loaded and backup cues, mini usb cable.  I knew by watching the GPS whenever I was even the slightest off track.  Carried 1/2 the maps.  Mailed 1/2 to Steamboat. 
Note: put a small piece of electrical tape on the mounting bracket to reduce vibration/wobble of the unit.
Best of luck.
sr

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:02 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Do you have an opinion about the Farming Oregon 300 in comparison to the etrex hc or the Dakota?

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:34 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »

The E-trex is pretty much to go-to-gold-standard for the TD. It is the only unit I haven't ever heard a bike packer complain about. I personally have used the Delorme units and while nice, they weren't as awesome as the garmin.

I thought the garmin was stellar on the TD this year. I would use it time and time again.

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:33 PM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »

eTrex HCx here.  However, I didn't find GPS to be 100% accurate for 2011.  I went off route several times, if only briefly, despite my best attentive efforts to interpret the track.  Those 15 minute chunks of poking-about-the-route are really frustrating to lose!  I got a mount for it from Ram (search ram mount gps) and modified it to live on my stem.  Eventually I learned to try to always be attentive to the cue sheets (mine were homemade using the ACA's as a starting point) and to use the cues in support of the GPS. 

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:16 AM
bikpdlr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »

Just raced CFiTT with the new eTrex 30 and it was stellar.  You don't have to break the tracks into 500 point tracks.  It will take the entire 10,000 points as one track.

Even better, when you activate the track on the map, it will have a "GO" icon on the screen and that will activate the navigation mode and will follow the trackpoints like they're waypoints.

The second you stray from the route, the needle icon immediately points left or right to the track you should be on.

Another plus for me is that the eTrex 30 has ANT+ functionality and allows the use of a chest strap for heart rate and the GCR 10 for wireless cadence.

It has an alarm clock that wakes the unit up and starts beeping at you, so you won't have to carry an alarm clock.

I could go on and on ...

I've barely figured out what this thing can do, but it's obvious that they've taken the best attributes of Dakota and Hcx and created a unit that will out-do them both.  I recommend buying the Garmin Topo maps on DVD.  I bought it all on Amazon.com and saved money for sure.

I'll have two of these units for TD when I go.  You've got to have a spare for sure.

I raced 19 hours on a fresh set of lithiums (also purchased on Amazon) and never had battery issues.  It still shows a full charge and I've even set the battery type to "lithium".

Topic Name: GPS questions related to TD Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:21:11 AM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

Thanks so much.  I'll definitely pick up the eTrex 30.  And thanks to everyone for such detailed and thorough answers.  This is clearly a great community.  I hope I get to meet some of you next year.  Ride safe.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: