Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #80 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:22 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »

I like having my own spot, although they were able to have some rentals last year. The spot let me track my training rides and gave my wife peace of mind when I was out and about for hours/days on end.

I have the spot II. It worked well, the only hard part is learning how to use it correctly. Not that it's really hard, it just takes patience as you keep tryin to get it to work and recheck the website to see if it's tracking.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #81 on: December 31, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

SPOT GPS questions,
Do I need to purchase a SPOT for the TDR or is there a way to rent one?
If I need to buy one should I go with the SPOT I or SPOT II? (I think I still can find a SPOT I)
I've heard mixed reviews on the SPOT II - well I've heard mixed reviews on both, but most seem to like the original better.
Thanks,
Woody

I have the Spot1 and the main issue is that the 911 button is completely exposed.  I put a felt pad (the kind you put on the bottom of chair legs) over the button to keep from accidentally signalling for rescue.

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #82 on: January 01, 2012, 02:43:46 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »

I rented a spot II from Scott M (aka, the man behind the leaderboard) last year for the TDR and was really happy about it. I changed the batteries every week or so and it never really gave me any problems. Very easy to operate. Just make sure it's attached securely because some people lost theirs along the way. Also, the Spot II is smaller in size then the I, probably lighter too. Both need to be placed strategically to catch a signal, somewhere in the bottom of you backpack will not do!
One caution though: apparently, spot tracking is very addictive! My girlfriend was very happy when I reached AW, not only because I had made it but because she then could finally get some sleep. Being in Europe means that the dots would move when it's night there, so she would be watching the leaderboard all night until she had to go to work in the morning. Once I reached AW she could finally get some sleep (and piece of mind I guess). A friend had also asked her if she would like to ask me to ride at night more so that they would be able to follow me during the day at work.  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #83 on: January 01, 2012, 05:39:39 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2012, 05:39:39 AM »

I rented a spot II from Scott M (aka, the man behind the leaderboard) last year for the TDR and was really happy about it. I changed the batteries every week or so and it never really gave me any problems. Very easy to operate. Just make sure it's attached securely because some people lost theirs along the way. Also, the Spot II is smaller in size then the I, probably lighter too. Both need to be placed strategically to catch a signal, somewhere in the bottom of you backpack will not do!
One caution though: apparently, spot tracking is very addictive! My girlfriend was very happy when I reached AW, not only because I had made it but because she then could finally get some sleep. Being in Europe means that the dots would move when it's night there, so she would be watching the leaderboard all night until she had to go to work in the morning. Once I reached AW she could finally get some sleep (and piece of mind I guess). A friend had also asked her if she would like to ask me to ride at night more so that they would be able to follow me during the day at work.  icon_biggrin

"Honey, do you mind if I ride the Tour Divide again?"

"Only if you promise to ride at night."

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #84 on: January 01, 2012, 08:37:58 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »

So what are some typical total carry weights for the Tour Divide? I'm shooting for 20-25 lbs. of gear, fuel, and fluids. That will put bike+load+me=190-195 lbs. I should be able to drop 5-6 lbs. of fluid for all the portions with more frequent resupply opportunities. Also, I seem to run comfortably on 2.5-3 liters while doing centuries in the humid South at around 500' to 2000' feet elevations. Do you find that you typically need more fluid at TD elevations and the drier air of the West? If so, about how much?     

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #85 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:40 AM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

"So what are some typical total carry weights for the Tour Divide? "

In general for the TD,competitive  bike + gear weight (dry and a coupla power bars) , ranges from 33 pounds (Mathew Lee) to 39 pounds (typical?). Any more and you probably have too much stuff or old, heavy gear. Bike and gear weight seems to be inversely proportional to course familiarity, understandably so. Personal preference with regard to spare parts affects overall weight (ex: spare tire? 2 tubes or 3? etc.) Comfort plays a role (full bivy or not?). As far as water goes, I have found myself often drinking more on hot humid days on the divide (ex: sunshine after a cloudburst in a forest) than on dry days. A careful water strategy is key to not carrying too much weight in H20, which turns into studying maps carefully. I believe Marshall Bird has covered this extensively elsewhere.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #86 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:16 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »

...That will put bike+load+me=190-195 lbs....
I think this calculation is critical for comparisons.  A lot of guys say "I only have x pounds of gear on the bike." but don't count the backpack and the clothes/gear they are wearing.  A true kit weight would be everything except a person's body.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #87 on: January 08, 2012, 11:09:46 AM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

Gonna get a new bike for the TD think'n salsa spearfish?
Any adivce would be great.

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #88 on: January 08, 2012, 08:33:43 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

Bike choice is another item that is highly personal. FS bikes IMO are over kill, a good hardtail is all you need, if you go with suspension make sure it's reliable. Overall though I'd say the spearfish is a top bike.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #89 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:02 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:02 AM »

Bike choice is another item that is highly personal. FS bikes IMO are over kill, a good hardtail is all you need, if you go with suspension make sure it's reliable. Overall though I'd say the spearfish is a top bike.

Yeah, full suspension is pretty overkill. Last year I only saw one person at the start with full sus. I could see maybe an automatic lockout system like the Specialized Epic setup. But, even at that I would be seriously worried about a failure. The divide is notorious for rupturing shocks.

I personally prefer the fully rigid setup.

That all being said, personal gear preference is king when you are talking about 20+ days of 18 consecutive hours of saddle time.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 01:48:35 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »

I rode last years TD on a full suspension Tallboy - comfort is so important in this game;whilst nothing can be comfortable for 20 odd days, I would rather have a pebble in my shoe than a grain of sand in my condom.

The rear shock was invaluable to my backside - recalling all that evil washboard still makes me glad I too the 'risk' of a full floater. These bikes are so well made that failures are less common than success!

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #91 on: January 09, 2012, 03:04:12 PM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »

softail bikes are a good compromise as are suspension seatposts on a rigid frame. Joe Meiser rode a suspension seatpost on a fargo. The siren suspension and the moots ybb suspensions are super reliable. Too bad the salsa dos niner softail is gone.

Erik

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 03:22:21 PM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

You can certainly ride a full sus, but the risk is of not finishing.  A rear suspension failure could end your TD attempt.  Yea, the wash board section would make it nice, but that was only 30 to 50 miles out of 2,700.  IMHO, I never wanted for a full suspension.  My Specialized Stumpy Expert 29'er really was fantastic.  I got a smok'in, killer deal on some carbon wheels, which were nice too.  You gotta think reliability. 

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 05:08:32 AM
fifeandy

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 05:08:32 AM »

You can certainly ride a full sus, but the risk is of not finishing.  A rear suspension failure could end your TD attempt.  Yea, the wash board section would make it nice, but that was only 30 to 50 miles out of 2,700.  IMHO, I never wanted for a full suspension.  My Specialized Stumpy Expert 29'er really was fantastic.  I got a smok'in, killer deal on some carbon wheels, which were nice too.  You gotta think reliability. 

Other than a change of wheels did you run the Stumpy in its "off the peg" configuration?

Most of the stuff I read has people using Ti/Steel.
Do many people use Al/Carbon off the peg bikes from Trek/Specialized/Scott etc?

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:37 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »

Other than a change of wheels did you run the Stumpy in its "off the peg" configuration?

I'm really curious about this one as well. The best deal I could find (on a civil servant's budget) was Giant's 2012 XTC carbon 29er. I looked at the Salsa Ti, but my LBS (from whom I've purchased several bikes) hooked me up on the Giant. Has anyone heard any issues with frame cracks on the Giant carbon? In general, does a carbon frame withstand the rigors of the TDR? My original thinking was that I would be more likely to crack the frame while riding techy single-track rather than on the infinite bumps on the TD route.       

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #95 on: January 10, 2012, 08:18:00 AM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

I saw a ton of superfly's in 2010.
I did it in 09 and 10 on an alu/carbon 26er

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:04 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »

I rode a full carbon niner, with a carbon front fork. It worked well. It was pretty chattery though, ti would probably be the only other type of frame I would use.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:33 AM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »

I changed the XT group to XTR too and the seat.  There isn't much left after these changes.  The stock parts are the forks, bars and seat post. 

At this point, I have close to 11,000 miles on her and she still rides great.  I rode a ton of 29'er hard tails and the Stumpy Expert 29'er was the last one I rode. 

I didn't ride the Giant.  After riding many others, a lot of 29'er hard tails are race bikes.  Meaning they are super stiff and lack compliance that we want on the the TD. 

The Trek / GF Superfly was my first choice, but after finding out that they had the highest frame failure rate in the market, I changed my mind.  It appears this has been resolved for the 2012 models, but I don't have any knowledge on it.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:24 AM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »

I changed the XT group to XTR too and the seat.  There isn't much left after these changes.  The stock parts are the forks, bars and seat post. 

At this point, I have close to 11,000 miles on her and she still rides great.  I rode a ton of 29'er hard tails and the Stumpy Expert 29'er was the last one I rode. 

I didn't ride the Giant.  After riding many others, a lot of 29'er hard tails are race bikes.  Meaning they are super stiff and lack compliance that we want on the the TD. 

The Trek / GF Superfly was my first choice, but after finding out that they had the highest frame failure rate in the market, I changed my mind.  It appears this has been resolved for the 2012 models, but I don't have any knowledge on it.

Curious if anyone has put a rigid fork (like niner carbon) on something like the 29er superfly or specialized and how it changes the geometry/height compared to the stock fox suspension 80 or 100mm fork.

Topic Name: TD newbie qs Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:17 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »

Thanks for the info...

I've been considering the CrossMark for a while now.  I was a little tempted to try the non-UST version to save a little weight (under a pound per 2 tires), but the idea of the tougher sidewall and your experience would suggest that the slight weight penalty has been worth it.

Are you running Stan's as well?
Did you vary tire pressure on TD or did you stick with one in particular? 
Did you also stick with this tire for TNGA?

Thanks...
Just a word on Maxxis Crossmark Non LUST tires... I was running the LUST and loved them but like you I thought it might be beneficial to save the weight and run the non LUST.  Unfortunately they blistered on me.  Googling around, this is a common issue with maxxis non LUST tires.  So, I called Maxxis directly to see if they support/warranty non LUST tires with Stans. I had to leave a message and never heard back.  So I used their warranty web site... no response.  I asked all the folks on my team and no one had ever had these problems on their DH tires... Needless to say I was bummed about losing the $ on a new set of tires.  Now I'm back to LUST :-)

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: