Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:46 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

The Golden Rule of Small Business:  Bad News travels fast.  This is truer than ever with the Internet.  I participate in another sport where recently a small custom manufacturer for the sport had similar delays.  He wasn't returning calls and he was way behind on orders.  He was depositing deposit checks quickly.  This guy was getting bad mouthed all over the net. 

Finally his wife saw some of the stuff posted on the net and responded.  It turns out the guy was having a really tough battle with depression.  A lot of the people who made the harshest comments felt like real creeps, rightly so in my opinion.  I agree completely that nothing excuses failing to communicate when you have accepted a deposit.  But on the other hand I can understand how facts not generally known can mitigate the fault too.  In the case of the depressed guy I think all involved are relieved he didn't go jump off a bridge.  It couldn't have been easy to live with the burden of what was being said on the net to the rather small community of enthusiasts.

I have no idea whats up at Carousel and I can only wish them the best.  For those that have had less than satisfying experiences think twice before typing.

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 04:35:21 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

A corollary to the rule above:  In the age of the internet, it has never been easier to communicate with customers than ever before.   icon_biggrin

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:24 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »

For those that have had less than satisfying experiences think twice before typing.

Yeah, I just can't agree with that.  Nobody on here is calling him a jerk or anything, just stating their experience. 

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:33 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »

I appreciate everyone's honest appraisals of CDW. In August of last year, I sent Jeff a couple of e-mails inquiring about frame bags--and never got a response. I could have kept trying, but it sounds like I might have wasted a lot of time and possibly money trying to work with him. Instead, I went with Phantom Pack Systems, and got a awesome pack in about a month.

Whatever's up with Jeff, I hope that he gets it sorted out. As one of the very first guys (the first, perhaps?) to make commercial bikepacking gear, he definitely deserves respect for his contributions to the sport. SlowDave, I don't think that anyone is ripping on the guy, just letting others know that they might have issues ordering gear from him these days. Hopefully it is only a temporary problem, as Jeff obviously makes some awesome gear!

"Done"

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:12 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:12 AM »

I wasn't saying any one was ripping the guy but the whole thread seemed to be going the same way as the one I was speaking of.  My intent was to urge restraint because obviously something is wrong and it would be very unfortunate to worsen the situation.  I also have some ethical concerns about broadcasting difficulties in a private transaction.  In support of doing so there is the argument that it is simply consumer protection.  On the other hand a one sided or incomplete view of the situation can cause irreparable harm to a small business.  Since our words here could equal a death sentence for the business I think restraint is in order. 

Then again, maybe it is just me.  I am very sympathetic to the struggles of small businesses these days.

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:54 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »

I do wish Jeff the best and hope he figures it out.  This thread is similar to a thread on backpackinglight (Kooka Bay pads).  I was about to get in line and purchase one from him but thought I'd do some searching on the forums first.  Good thing I did as it turns out his story is just like this one.  Great work but...

Anyway, I'm thankful for this forum as we as a community are able to voice our concerns/opinions but luckily most of us are able to do it in a level-headed way and not resort to name calling. 

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 08:41:10 PM
Arctos

30+ years bikepacking

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »

I first ordered from Jeff @ Carousel Design Works in  2007. My custom order was completed with Jeff's improvements to my original design specs. My most recent order one year ago was completed as promised. Another marvel of design,materials and construction.

The transition from a one man shop to a much larger operation servicing large Adventure Cycling orders and the custom demands of a rapidly expanding bikepacking riders group is difficult under any circumstances much less in this economic downturn.  Jeff at Carousel needs to go back to a very limited custom production (you can only please a small number of buyers) or ramp up to supplying standard bags only or to redefine his business niche to suit the present economic conditions in some other way. I wish him luck as a very satisfied customer.

I notice that Eric @ Revelate has stopped making custom bags while shifting to supplying Salsa, Surly and FatBike with standard bags through those bike dealers. An excellent change of business model.

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:40 PM
mtndragon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »

I had a similar experience with CDW.  Several phone calls, none returned.  Finally caught him on the phone, and he said he would email me details.  This was a year and a half ago, still no email.  During this time, I contacted Revelate and have two custom frame bags + harness, seat bag, etc.  Top quality stuff, and Eric knows how to run a small business.  Unfortunately, he no longer makes custom bags, but that is good inspiration to DIY. 

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:58 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »

...My intent was to urge restraint because obviously something is wrong and it would be very unfortunate to worsen the situation.  I also have some ethical concerns about broadcasting difficulties in a private transaction.  In support of doing so there is the argument that it is simply consumer protection.  On the other hand a one sided or incomplete view of the situation can cause irreparable harm to a small business.  Since our words here could equal a death sentence for the business I think restraint is in order. 

Then again, maybe it is just me.  I am very sympathetic to the struggles of small businesses these days.

SD,

I understand your sensitivities RE small businesses. I have owned/run one for over two decades, and partly because of that I prefer to patronize the little guys whenever I have a choice. Usually small businesses provide better service/product than their larger counterparts. Sometimes they get backlogged or otherwise have production difficulties; that's inherent in small biz IMO. We deal with it mutually, for mutual benefit. I've worked with many vendors of limited-production gear for fringe sports. This experience is what behooves me to continue–and also why I was so taken aback by the treatment I got from Carousel.

AFA broadcasting difficulties...this is how we "talk" today. No one would think twice about telling a friend or group of like-minded folks about a situation that blatantly left them hanging. I don't see any significant difference in making a post/thread about same. Yes, it is "louder" online. The upshot is getting more firsthand info about a vendor to more people. This works to the advantage as much as the detriment of businesses.

Best regards,

Mike

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 09:41:53 AM
jcmuellner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »

I ordered bags from Jeff late summer of 2010 and he was great to work with and I got everything on schedule. Hoping he can get back on track because his equipment is really stellar in both design and quality and seems to be a really good guy too...

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:55 PM
digaaron

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

Just want to add that Jeff of CDW fame is the pioneer of modern frame, seat, and handlebar bags for bikepacking. He invented the kit that is now the standard and I think he deserves credit for that. Bikepacking as we know it wouldn't exist without his innovations. Many of the outfits now selling bikepacking bags got their start by buying Jeff's gear and copying it. Not to take away from the other guys making great gear (and who may be better business people), but Jeff's products are exquisite works of craftsmanship.

Not defending shoddy business practices, and it's worth mentioning that Eric at Revelate was the other early innovator in this realm, but think we should recognize Jeff's contribution. I hope he gets his system more dialed in. Clearly, he's more artist than businessman. If you can get your hands on his gear, you'll understand.

Topic Name: What's up at Carousel Designs? Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 06:32:18 AM
drjon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 06:32:18 AM »

im not usually a big fan of negativity on the internet, but i have had a significant deposit with CDW for some years and have given up hope of ever seeing any return or product after numerous failed attempts to contact and a few vague promises of timescales. This is a simialar situation to several friends who have had dealings with jeff boatman. regardless of WHY this is happening, it is not acceptable and i would strongly discourage anyone from trusting him.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: