Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:13 PM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »

To all you locals in CO.

I've been looking forward to this years race for some time now. Some personal issues have come up and I'm at the point where I really need to decide if it's a go for me still. As sick as it sounds, this is a vacation for me and as such should be somewhat enjoyable, so I'm looking for some candid guesses as to what the course conditions will be this year snow and runoff wise. I'm cool with the rain.

Not looking for guarantees, just some educated guesses.

I know it's still three weeks out, but I can tell you with certainty that the conditions here in the Sierras will still suck considerably in three weeks.

It's a 2200 mile round trip for me so it's definitely a consideration.

Thanks for any help you can give!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:55:39 PM by Sean Allan » Logged

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47:14 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »

Not positive about the rest of the CT, but from Molas Pass into Durango should be good to go by then.  We are currently having to navigate a few snowbanks and such on that part of the trail, but four weeks from now the snow should be gone.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:12 AM
jeffkerkove

Topeak | Ergon | Canyon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:12 AM »

Riding from Denver to Kenosha Pass is good right now.  Kenosha Pass to Leadville to Buena Vista has a lot of snow at the higher elevations (11,000 + ft).  Could prove to be 'interesting' come Aug 1.  It's been warm here in CO the last month or so....and right now we are in a monsoonal flow, so it's raining every afternoon.  Aug 1 should be good for CTR and there should be plenty of water on route.  Mosquitoes could also be a huge issue this year.  There will likely be some snow out there....but IMO not enough to effect CTR.  Here are some pics from the last 50 miles of the CT near Durango taken last weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffkerkove/sets/72157627102563714/

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:16 AM
Zach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:16 AM »

From the Breck 100 website, which uses a fair amount of CT in their course:

"Race Update: 7/8
Loops 2 and 3 are clear and ready to go! Plan on getting your feet wet walking across a snowfield or two on loop 1.  It's melting fast but there will certainly still be some."

Even if you have to walk through some big snowfields over the passes, there's going to be tons of good riding in between.  Do it!

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:37:09 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »

I rode part of sections 22-23 a couple weeks ago and there was still quite a bit of snow up high.

August first, I'd say just go for it.  Some of that stuff I'd be hiking with or without snow....... but there were a few steep snowfields I had to traverse and use the bike like a barbell/ice ax to get across.  Good times, but it is my backyard too.  September is a great time of year here too......

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:33 PM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »

Yeah.... that last picture freaks me out a bit. I guess if you're a local you're used to riding across 45 degree snow fields, but there aren't any of those where I live, and even if there were I wouldn't even think about going across it at 3am. binkybaby

Goddammit, decisions to be made.......

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:03 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »

Don't worry about the snow.  Trail will be good.  A few snowfields to cross way up high - maybe.

The altitude, lightning, hypothermia, traffic on 285 - those will kill you.

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:24 PM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »

Don't worry about the snow.  Trail will be good.  A few snowfields to cross way up high - maybe.

Funny, those don't effect or worry me at all. I just remember a few places that are going to be sketchy with a big snowfield to cross.

If it wasn't a 2200 mile round trip there would be no issue what so ever.

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:39 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:39 AM »

Yep. I especially hate lightening and traffic...

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR route conditions for us non-Coloradons Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:02 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

I rode 22/23 last weekend. I traversed 3 snow patches. All were easy, mellow grade and less than 40 steps across. They might be gone by next week. The flowers however were off the charts and I hope they stick around another week for the racers

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: