Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1580 on: June 30, 2011, 04:12:36 AM
moosevt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1580 on: June 30, 2011, 04:12:36 AM »

Stephen Huddle is out to start his ITT. He is running gates belt drive with Rohloff this time. Nice rig!

Hope for the best for him.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1581 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14:29 AM
moosevt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1581 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14:29 AM »

Suppose we will hear a call in from Dejay in Silver City? 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1582 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:17 AM
moosevt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:17 AM »

Stephen Huddle is out to start his ITT. He is running gates belt drive with Rohloff this time. Nice rig!

Hope for the best for him.
Cricket showed up on the leaderboard now too. GO CRICKET!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1583 on: June 30, 2011, 04:46:06 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 30, 2011, 04:46:06 AM »

This is a photo in the Denver Post today on the fire near Los Alamos. It's taken from the space shuttle. Here's the link with the story: http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_18381546

* LOSALAMOS~p1.JPG (48 KB, 600x399 - viewed 711 times.)

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1584 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:15 AM
Bounce

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:15 AM »

I was being sarcastic about you being scary. I thought that thanking you for the pics first would highlight that but maybe not. You're not scary Bounce, on the contrary it's pics like those that make this forum buzz. I love to see the riders in their native habitat and so does everyone else. I was having fun with you as a scary SPOT stalker who took those pictures of the obviously terrified racers << that's sarcasm again.

A secondary point was that if you don't want to be spot stalked just don't give TD any info from your SPOT. I mean really, it's a satellite locator device posted on a public website voluntarily.

Of course this was a breakthrough year for the TD and the leaders had no way of knowing that there would be so many stalkers/super fans out there. I wouldn't expect racers to stop what they are doing (kicking butt) and reset their SPOT accounts to be private this year but maybe next year those who don't want to risk being located won't publicize their locator beacons. Until then, there's always that power button. I don't want to minimize the scariness of fans behaving badly, there's no excuse for that.

Of course, you are right that if a fan was so inclined they could camp out on the route and find a racer when they went past just by the virtue of two moving points intersecting on a line sooner or later. It's an awful long line though and if that happens then fine, SPOT wasn't even involved.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Brunch.

The thing is, "Stalking" is a crime.  In fact, in Colorado, types of stalking (scary stalking for sure) is a felony.  One definition includes the desire to repeatedly "threaten" or "inflict emotional distress."  I see the word "stalking" thrown around here with reckless abandon.   It's important to understand that the use of that particular word implies criminal activity.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:06:31 AM by Bounce » Logged

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1585 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:41 AM
AZtrailertrash

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »

Would "Idol Worship" be a better term? How about "Role Model"?   I doubt anyone wishes to inflict harm on the racers... er... riders... well not until the photos' start being worth some money being published mainstream. I think most are just trying to capture the emotions of such a crazy ride for all to see.

Would Kim Kardashian look good on a Brooks saddled Single Speed? We won't have to worry about Ben Stiller joining in with his buddies on a ride either, will we, like he did on the TDF?  Now that would be star power. Maybe Lance the doper joins in to give it a try next year, like he did the Leadville 100.

Ever since the movie came out, everything about the Tour Divide has changed, for better or for worse, for riders and spectators alike. You can't stop the media from exploiting an event for money.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1586 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:45 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »

Maybe Lance the doper joins in to give it a try next year, like he did the Leadville 100.

Ever since the movie came out, everything about the Tour Divide has changed, for better or for worse, for riders and spectators alike. You can't stop the media from exploiting an event for money.

I was thinking along the above lines. I did Leadville 100 back in the day (97 & 98) no lottery and maximum 500 riders. Now it is a total circus 2000+ riders, news coverage, helicopters flying over head.
Good or bad that's progress - i guess....

Woody

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1587 on: June 30, 2011, 07:39:16 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 30, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Cricket and Stephen plan on riding the main GDMBR course. Has anyone heard if conditions have improved since Justin Simoni's epic battle with the snow slopes?   

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1588 on: June 30, 2011, 07:55:04 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: June 30, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »

Dejay Birtch called in from Beaverhead. Greg McKennis called in from Butte. Jeffrey Tomassetti called in en route to Cuba. This call gets cut off. And Stephen Huddle called in from Banff. He and Cricket Butler are heading out.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1589 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Cricket and Stephen plan on riding the main GDMBR course. Has anyone heard if conditions have improved since Justin Simoni's epic battle with the snow slopes?  
You can check out the estimated remaining snowpack via the snow overlays on either trackleaders or bluedot.  Snow is definitely melting fast as evidenced by the high water levels in the west, but much remains.  Some of areas with re-routes look to be clear, while Wyoming looks to still be white and the Flathead I'd guess to be sloppy mix of mud, slush, and areas of deep snow.

I've been using those snow models for years to gauge when conditions are good - IME all traces of estimated snowpack need to be gone for about 2 weeks before an area is actually dry - at least in the CO/UT area.  Kurt said the models are a bit off in Canada, showing more snow than actually exists, so maybe the Flathead is not as bad as it looks.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1590 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:56 AM
mk313

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »

I think that most of the people who are interested enough to go out & meet a rider on the trail are interested enough in the race that they are following the Bikepacking thread as well as the tracking. There were several posts early on about "I'd like to go out & cheer on the riders, do you think it's OK?" The consensus at the time was 'yes it's ok' & from those who had ridden before 'I really enjoyed it'. It's probably one of those things that is/was cool when it was only a few people. I'm sure the positive responses helped sway people to go out & cheer on the riders. As that started to become more frequent, it became an issue. Now that the word is out that it was not always appreciated, I think the number of visitors will decrease.

It would also be good to get some info from the riders farther in. I'm excited for the whole race & all the racers, but was certainly more interested in the race at the front between Kurt, Jefe, Ethan (& Paul up North). People farther back likely have fewer people coming out to meet them & it may not be a distraction at all for them.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1591 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:03 AM
bjamin

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »

Interview with Kurt http://salsacycles.com/culture/questions_answers_with_kurt_refsnider/

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1592 on: June 30, 2011, 08:21:12 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 30, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »

You can check out the estimated remaining snowpack via the snow overlays on either trackleaders or bluedot.  Snow is definitely melting fast as evidenced by the high water levels in the west, but much remains.  Some of areas with re-routes look to be clear, while Wyoming looks to still be white and the Flathead I'd guess to be sloppy mix of mud, slush, and areas of deep snow.

I've been using those snow models for years to gauge when conditions are good - IME all traces of estimated snowpack need to be gone for about 2 weeks before an area is actually dry - at least in the CO/UT area.  Kurt said the models are a bit off in Canada, showing more snow than actually exists, so maybe the Flathead is not as bad as it looks.

Thanks. Hmmmm? Snow or mud? I think I'd prefer the former; at least the snow melts off and leaves less dirt on your gear.     

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1593 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:22 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

Anxiously awaiting everyone close to Silver City to wake up and start moving!   I expect hubby (JV) to finish today.

Mrs. JV - looks like your man had a long slow day through the Gila yesterday.  Hope he's okay, that he's getting the recharge he needs in Silver City to finish the last 100 miles.

In other news... Deejay makes up for 4 hours and overtakes Ben O yesterday ?   Wow.  Now, his spot shows him riding AROUND the new  section, by taking Hwy 15 instead of the CDT trail section to Pinos Altos.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1594 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:10 AM
kentsbike

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »

Hey folks,

I posted a few thoughts on tech & the tour on my blog here:

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2011/06/some-thoughts-on-technology-and-tour.html

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1595 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:33 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »

Stephen Huddle is out to start his ITT.

ITT?  I hope he and Cricket don't ride hip-to-hip the whole way like last year, 'cuz then it's really not an ITT.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1596 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:25 AM
AZtrailertrash

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »

In other news... Deejay makes up for 4 hours and overtakes Ben O yesterday ?   Wow.  Now, his spot shows him riding AROUND the new  section, by taking Hwy 15 instead of the CDT trail section to Pinos Altos.

Looked like Ben O had a breakdown or a huge walk of some sort for an hour or so before he stopped transmitting or shut down late Wednesday night. Not sure, but they are both a long ways from nowhere. Maybe Dejay wants to taste some pavement for a few days too... he had his chance a couple days before, and if you listen to his phonecall, he sounds like he's a little dazed and confused, or at least had a couple brutal days/hell rides prior to today.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1597 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:38 AM
bluedotgroupie

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »

Geez – it seems like the positive, encouraging, uplifting spirit of the “tour divide” community has been lost a little on these boards the past couple of days.  I am sure that as the race grows and as interest grows there are things that will change, new things to be discussed and considered – yet I believe for the most part the people who are following these “blue dots”, aren’t some sort of ill-intentioned weirdos – yet instead, they are watching family and friends pursue what is for many a once in a lifetime dream. 

There are a few who have the sort of occupations and lives that they can do this year after year or at least multiple times – yet for many that are out there – this is a one time shot at a huge aspiration and dream, there have been family and financial sacrifices (or commitments is perhaps a better way to look at it) – spouses and even children willing to really give up a lot so that someone they love is able to live their dream. (I am sure the Cordillera that was discussed here quite a bit in more “positive times” probably touches on some of this sacrifice, support and the sense of families and communities pulling together to support riders – from an emotional perspective – not in a way that would have them “relegated”).

I can’t even begin to imagine what Kurt or Jefe or Paul or Justin or Aidan or Caroline – or truthfully ANY of these guys and girls are accomplishing and conquering.  I am truly in AWE of their courage and strength – yet I can guarantee you that I have not been anywhere near the race or the continental divide or “snuck up on anyone” or even openingly cheered them on (except through blogs where some riders are choosing to share their experiences with the masses and seem to appreciate the support during the tough stretches).  I can understand what Kurt and Jefe have expressed in regard to the “fan following” (for lack of a better word) being a little (or a lot) overboard.  And even though I can hardly even ride a bike, as an athlete – I do understand that when you are “in the zone” – especially in a race as grueling as this – you don’t really have time – nor is it even a wise or healthy decision to stop for chit-chat or photo sessions.  So, DEFINITELY, this is something that needs to be considered (although as many have mentioned will be hard to control).

Yet, as many have also mentioned – since the movie came out (and I know that both Matthew and Kurt are about to begin work on another cycling movie – which, although it isn’t directly related to the TD, it is sure to bring even more attention to the race) – and other media attention slowly trickled out – change is to be expected, and although some of that change may be unwanted – much of it perhaps should be considered positive and exciting.  Maybe if a rider is totally opposed to the attention – they should do Canada as a warm-up ride and then consider The Great Divide Race – which I have yet to find any coverage on since it started about a week and a half ago (if, in fact it did start this year).

Matthew Lee actually commented on the boards a few days ago how it was nice to finally get some media attention.  I don’t think any rider on the TD is riding this race for the attention or glory or any of that – I think it is a very personal endeavor, a test of will and the ability to persevere under incredibly intense and difficult circumstances.  I also think riders have a true appreciation for the world around them and realize that SO MUCH is missed and so much beauty goes unseen with the speed with which we try to do life.  I think for some it might even be a journey to discovering who they really are and what they are really made of (for some?!?!?). 

Yet even though glory and attention is not sought – one has to consider if the “coverage” and “following” that has maybe led to a few negative experiences, could possibly ever outweigh the positive – the safety of the riders, the support from family and friends back home, the comfort of a spouse and child knowing that their “rider” is progressing and still ok, the support and resources the communities and people along the bike route provide (I know there are MANY awesome bike shop and lodge supporters – yet just as an example – a SUPER high percentage of the riders have expressed gratefulness for Kirsten and the time of recovery and renewed spirits that the lodge has provided and I know she watches for those blue dots so that she can be prepared before the riders even arrive).  Also, as previously mentioned, I think it is nice to think of Kurt, Jefe, Paul and others as “role models”.  They may not want to take on that role (or at least not intended to) – yet what if some of the “blue dot watchers” decide to actually get on a bike and ride, or make a decision to do something different to improve their health, or look inside themselves and decide, even if the TD is NOT up their alley, they find the will and dedication to take on their own dreams (and start to make the sacrifices and commitments that will take them there – or even a first step in the right direction).  What if they are facing battles even much greater than what the TD has to offer, yet again, following and reading about this experience helps them to dig a little deeper and find the courage to continue to fight in their own journey.

Just some things to think about.  I know many will probably not read this whole entry (might require another sabbatical from work) – many might think my words are cheesy or be alarmed or turned off that I define myself (and perhaps disqualify myself) with a name like “bluedotgroupie” – yet if you made it this far and find no other value at all – I would just encourage this “community” to focus back on the task at hand – cheering and encouraging the riders.  The Nobo’s still have some rough ascents and perhaps “hike-a-bikes” ahead, and the Sobo’s are entering into dangerous territory – even with the reroutes – the fire continues to spread and the affects of the fire along with the extreme heat creates very dangerous conditions.  Even in an atypical TD year (as if there is ever a typical one) – there is much to celebrate – riders overcoming what might have seemed like insurmountable barriers – only time will tell, yet perhaps not only the largest number and percentage of Grand Depart riders to ever complete the race – yet a record number of women to complete the race (I know they probably don’t want to be considered “different” – yet what a great example for some of the little girls out there that need to dream big dreams).  Let’s get back to focusing on the magic of the journey – and the riders who have chosen to dream and persevere and have given us this gift of a little picture of their dream.  Just keep pedaling!!!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1598 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:52 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »

ITT?  I hope he and Cricket don't ride hip-to-hip the whole way like last year, 'cuz then it's really not an ITT.
Not sure as to Stephen's plans, but Cricket wants the womens record. I'm guessing that she'll pull away after the snowy sections and try to maintain a 130-140 miles per day pace. I'm curious if this La Nina year will lend itself to record-breaking ITT attempts. After the first snow section at Sparwood, we should have some idea. Go Cricket!
I've been wondering about the whole "solo/self-supported" element myself. This year's Euros seemed to have completely disregarded this aspect. Someone previously posted the rule concerning riders assisting riders on this thread. Like most TD rules, the ultimate decision seems to be mostly left to the rider's conscience and personal ethic. With this year's snow pack, I can understand why Cricket and Stephen would want someone along for the steeper passes. Major props to Justin for facing those trails alone.    

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1599 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:27 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1599 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »

Yeah as I said in my last call in, anyone who tackles this monster is amazing!!! I just have tons and tons of respect for all who've persevered to the finish, even more so now that I have made it myself and know how hard it is. It isn't so important how fast, just that you kept it together for so long, so far, keep smiling and pedaling, we all love you for it. Every finisher is an inspiration to me!!! So keep finishing everyone.
And a HUGE thanks for all the wonderful folks out there, the convenience store clerks, the resturaunt folks, Kirsten of the Brush Mtn Lodge, rob and rick at the outdoorsman, scott at absolute, the ice cream shop in Pinos Altos and so so many more regular folks that were so kind and wonderful to us dirt bag racers. Sure we were on our own, but without these pit stops we would never make it. Love those folks, makes me want to work on the divide and give some love back.
I had to vent about the spot stalking thing, but don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful event that has brought a whole lot of folks together and that is a great thing. I do believe the spot has it's place, but also needs to be discussed as the race gets bigger and bigger. As long as it inspires someone then it is a very good thing and worth the bit of weirdness I felt out there.

Keep on keeping on everyone, I didn't think this stuff was possible and now I've done it myself, don't accept the doubt in what you can do, look beyond it, get out there and see things anew, we can all inspire each other to go farther, faster, smarter. Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/
  Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: