Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide on: May 30, 2011, 01:30:58 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »

Bluedot was tested by fire (literally) in AZT, now it has been improved for Tour Divide.  New features (from the AZT version) include

• Google Maps when online
  • Snow Model overlays along entire TD route
  • Facebook part of app
  • Stores and displays messages from SPOT connect devices
  • Rider pages

Live radar still included Smiley

http://bluedot.mobi for all the details, or just go straight to the app at http://bluedot.mobi/td

Map with SPOT point and popup

Snow model overlay

Rider page

Good luck with some crazy wet and white conditions!

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:00:24 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

Totally sick.

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:19 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »

Totally sick.

I'll second that.  I'm going to have to find someone with a smart phone so I can check it out "in hand."

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:42 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

Totally down with the sickness.  Seems best viewed at a workstation as a webpage, there's so much data that the iphone 3G can't keep up and regen time is loooong.

Looking forward to seeing the performance under full TD conditions.  Another fantastic way to follow the action this year.

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:08 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »

Totally down with the sickness.  Seems best viewed at a workstation as a webpage, there's so much data that the iphone 3G can't keep up and regen time is loooong.

Yes, this is a challenging area.  It is the waypoints that really slow it down.  Try disabling the waypoints under "Event Layers" and see if that helps.

For racers, you will definitely want to go to Options and set "Network Resources" to "disabled".  This disables Facebook, Google maps, auto spot updates, and sets the base layer to the tiles cached on your device.  It is MUCH faster.  You will still want to disable the waypoint layer too.

The jury is out as to how it will work with 80ish more waypoints - riders are generated the same way as the waypoints.  I might do something about it before start time...

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:35 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »

Lookin' good Dave! The snow layover feature is going to be fun for us at home to play with.

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:25 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »

Well done Dave. The next thing in bikepacking....now if I only still had my Iphone. Maybe I will try to download it on my itouch!

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:18 AM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:18 AM »

Dave,

Where is it you go to get the imagery data for the .kml/z overlay data for the snowpack?

Got a couple other places that I'd like to monitor.

The New Mexico route still looks more likely and probable, but I'd like to be able to overlay the snowpack data with a bunch of biking and hiking routes in Idaho to see if I still may be able to to a Northern trek. 

Webcam views and SNOTEL data I've seen don't seem promising, but I'll monitor both routes and make the final Summer travel plan call as late as possible.

Topic Name: BlueDot for Tour Divide Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:11 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »

The link is right on the bottom right corner of the map in BlueDot, but here is where to start that query:  http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html

It is a server generated .png with lots of options.  That may or may not be what you need - but you can get a kml here:  http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

The image with those kmls are huge, something like 8k x 4k pixels.  I tried to use them in bluedot (the non-snow is completely transparent so they would be perfect) but it chokes my desktop...never happen on a phone.  It works fine in GE, just give it time to  load.  Lots and lots of options.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: