Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:46 AM
bearcreek

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »

The waypoint files for The Colorado Trail have turned up on several pirate websites. I recently spoke to a woman who downloaded from one of those sites and got a virus that destroyed the registry file on her pc. The unadulterated waypoints are now available free of charge on the Bear Creek Survey Service website. www.bearcreeksurvey.com

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:12 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »

A pox on pirates and scammers! I suppose that anyone who ended up with a busted PC got their just desserts for ripping you off.

That said, it's amazingly generous of you to post the waypoints for free. I didn't have a problem paying for them in the past; they were incredibly useful and easily worth the few bucks that you charged.

In recognition of your generosity, maybe everyone riding the CTR this year should send a few extra buck to the Colorado Trail Foundation. I've already sent in my $100. That's only 20 cents a mile--which is an amazing deal for the privilege of riding one of the more amazing trails in the world. The Colorado Trail doesn't receive any government financial support, and it takes oodles of volunteer hours to maintain it--and supplies aren't cheap. Don't delay, send money today: http://www.coloradotrail.org/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:41:37 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:22 AM
Schwizzle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:22 AM »

Thanks for posting the waypoints.......now if only someone could get it to stop snowing in the high country that would be great!!!!

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43:22 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »

Good urgings Toby. Trackleaders is a corporate CT member, so we're in good standing, but I would personally donate again (and again) if they started a 'promise fund' to redo Sargents Mesa segment with some (closed to moto) freshy singletrack. Smiley That might pull in nearly all CTR alum to donate / make the CT that much more 'amazing'.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:59 PM
bearcreek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »

The process of making Sargents Mesa (Cochetopa Hills) non-motorized is one the highest priorities of the CTF and CDTA.  It is in the works now and has been undergoing environmental review for about two years.  Plans call for construction of new non-motorized trail from highway 114 south towards the La Garita first, then from the Windy Peak / Marshall Pass area to Hwy 114 after that.  It is going to happen but it is a huge undertaking and will take years to complete. CTF has been acquiring tools and equipment specifically with this project in mind.  When you see it happening, get on either a CT or CDTA trail crew and help out or throw a contribution at it.  Optimists hope it will begin in 2012. You should also make public comments at every opportunity to make sure cyclists don't get slighted when the project moves forward. Remember, the squeaky wheel get the grease...

It is a huge bookkeeping ordeal when a trail organization receives earmarked funds.  It's better to just make a general donation and express your desires for the trail's future when you send it in.  The CTF is really a lean, mean, well run organization and your money and/or labor will be well spent.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:42:34 PM by bearcreek » Logged

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21:59 AM
CTF Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

Thanks BearCreek for FREE waypoints in digital format.  Most helpful.

Thanks Toby for donating to The Colorado Trail Foundation for the extensive work they do in maintaining the CT.  I support the effort.  Hope others contribute too ... gotta keep it going to keep the Trail nice.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/contribute.html

The Saguache reroute will take many years and, as BearCreek mentioned, there are some advocating that the new route be hike and horse only.  CTF info here:

http://www.coloradotrail.org/ctfdirectivecomment.html

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:31 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »

Hi On Track,

I'm delighted that the Colorado Trail Foundation endorses bike usage of the Trail. Yet another reason to send money! Smiley

"Done"

Topic Name: Colorado Trail Waypoints Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:10:20 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »

Jerry (bearcreek),

Thanks for the waypoint release and also the info on all the work planned for Sargents Mesa.  CTF is certainly worthy of support, and hopefully the bikepacking.net as a community can throw some support towards them and other great trail organizations (like the AZT's equivalent, the ATA). 

Scott

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: