Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:21 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

The 2009 Iditarod Invitational is underway.  350 and 1,100 mile human powered races.

Essential links:

Main site:  http://alaskaultrasport.com

Leaderboard:  http://alaskaultrasport.com/results.html

Race updates: http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/latest_news.html

ADN article about the race: http://www.adn.com/outdoors/craig_medred/story/700168.html

Also, I am following Jill Homer via SPOT satellite receiver (and Geoff, and perhaps others) on Jill's blog:

http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/

And have set up a tour divide style Google map with current positions here:

http://topofusion.com/spot.php

More links than you can shake a stick at, but all fun stuff if you're into self supported ultra racing!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:47:18 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »

Some photos of the start:

Jeff Oatley:

Bottom photos are of Tom Jarding, the skiers, Jill, Pete B and Geoff.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:38 AM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »

I find it interesting that a lot of people are using foam sleeping pads vs. inflatable thermarests like you find on the GDMBR.  Anybody have some insight?  Could it be because of the cold and worrying about freezing inside the termarest?

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:58 AM
coldbike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »

Thermarests are slow to inflate and don't self inflate at all in the cold and have no insulation value if they leak.  The valves are hard to operate with mits on.
Closed cell foam has really good insulation value for it's weight and is really fast to set up and take down.  The folding style tends to be easier to set up and stow when it gets really cold.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

I have wondered the same thing.  I think coldbike's reasons are part of it.  Perhaps another is that winter racers aren't nearly as worried about bulk as us summer weenies.  They are already carrying big sleeping bags, coats, etc.  By comparision, the bulk of a foam pad is minimal, and you get the benefits described by coldbike.

I know that Mike switched to a Big Agnes air pad for his unsupported Nome ride this year.  But he's got a tent and such.  He'll be camping *a lot* more than ITI racers, so the extra comfort is likely worth the time spent setting it up.  I believe he also has a secondary foam pad, cut to body size.

Oh, and great pics Eric.  Thanks for posting them!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
neve_r_est

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

So thats what he's using.

Setup time is the big issue for me. I love my down air mat, but it takes like twenty minutes to pump the thing up. Twenty minute setup time for a couple hours sleep is hard to justify during a race. Then again If I'm not pressed for time the air mat wins hands down. I've got an extra large pump bag coming that might even out the difference for the air mat, we'll see.

Bummer about Jill and Geoff.

Conditions look like they could be really tough. Oatley has a pretty huge lead considering.

Any idea who's headed to Nome besides Mike?

DG

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:36 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

He's using the primaloft insulated one... I was surprised it worked as well in negative temps as he says it did.
Thermarests and inflatables work just fine in the cold, its just a matter if you want to mess with them like coldbike said in "must bivy now!" conditions
Personally I always need 2 pads in winter unless I only want to sleep 3 hrs.

DG - You can find who is going to Nome on the ITI home page roster.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:47 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »

Thanks for the pic's Eric. It's good fun to see from a warm vantage point. I was curious when I saw Pete B listed as a skier. Now that I have seen him so outfitted, and his 'ski sled', it is that much more real.

For those who don't know her, Catherine Shenk is someone I'm watching. A Colorado racer with lots of cool endurance adventures to her name.

Good luck to all out there.

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:51:48 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »

There are several opinions.  One is to carry everything you'd need to be able to bivvy anywhere on the trail.  The other is to keep moving until you can get inside.  I chose option 2.

I guess that didn't really answer the question though.  I used a small foam pad because it was my lightest option, easier to use, and more durable than a thermarest.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:03:29 PM by timroz » Logged

Topic Name: Iditarod Trail Invitaitonal 2009 Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:28 AM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »

I'm bummed to see that Catherine scratched in Puntilla. I rode with her for a bit on day one and she seemed super cool, genuinely excited to just be out and riding. But this race does not seem to be giving an inch this year. Kind of crazy when you consider the winner may not come in to McGrath until day six of the race. Even over the pass, the weather isn't looking promising for fast forward progress. Fresh snow and wind. At least the forecasts aren't calling for rain any more.

I'm pretty bummed that I had to drop out so early in the race this year. Pushing a bike in soft snow is one thing training in Juneau has made me good at. :-)

But I'm super impressed with everyone who is perservering out there. How amazing is Tracey Petervary? Certainly we should expect some good stories out of this year's race.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: