Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: A damn fine loop. on: March 19, 2011, 10:00:02 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »

The story goes that Scott and Chad were driving home from the Grand Loop, frustrated at the lack of quality singletrack on that route.  I'm not clear how they were surprised by this--the loop has existed for better than a decade, Scott has ridden it before, and it's *never* had much singletrack.  Anyhoo, I'm glad they were frustrated, because they spent the bulk of their drive home trying to brainstorm a multi-day bikepacking loop with as much high-quality singletrack as possible.

The end result of their brainstorming, map-geeking, and on-the-ground reconnaissance is the Coconino Loop.  Start in Flagstaff, get on dirt right in town, ride to and through Sedona, Cottonwood, Williams, and back to Flag on a heap of high quality trail.  A bit over 200 miles in sum.  There is a heap of singletrack, quite a bit of doubletrack or forest road, and a quasi-tolerable amount of gravel.  Very little pavement, and it happens in short stretches.

Tim Stern, Jeff Oatley and I spent four full days and nights out on the route, camping from roughly dark until dawn, and traveling at a comfortable, even leisurely pace during daylight hours.  Naps were taken, as were photos.  Snacks and stories were shared.  NO ONE was in a hurry--none of us seemed to have any sort of schedule or agenda at all.  We rode when it felt right, stopped when that felt right, and just sort of proceeded through each day. It seems the three of us have one main thing in common: Riding and racing on the Iditarod Trail.  Thus you can probably guess that when the conversation wasn't lodged firmly on bacon, or bikes, or how much longer 'til we'd be into a town to get some more ice cream, we spent a *lot* of time talking about The Race in Alaska.

And that was really good.  I get asked about The Race all the time but it's rare to sit back and hear about it first-hand from the perspectives of two who've been there, at the front, several times.

These pixels might tell the story that my words are failing to approach:
Touring the Coconino.

I really enjoyed this loop.  I seem to have arrived at a place in my life (mentally and, um, chronologically) where I haven't the patience nor desire to repeat trails unless they tick all of my boxes.  Put simply, the Coconino was the kind of loop that I could happily make into an annual trip.

In this day and age 4 days and nights is a lot of time to spend essentially doing one focused thing.  If I had to pick one moment, one sensation from that length of time to list as the most memorable...

...hmmm.  I guess I can't.  My brain goes into overdrive and then brownout when I try.  But the hyperspace descent into Williams, with millions of chunky manuals on a dark and hobbitesque trail...  

...yeah, that one keeps bubbling to the top.

Cheers gents--thanks for all of the hard work that went into making this a brilliant turnkey bikepacking loop.  

MC
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:04:59 PM by MikeC » Logged

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:29:06 AM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »

Thanks mike, makes me want to get out and do that loop!

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:34 AM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »

Great pictures as usual.  You capture the soul of bikepacking so well.  Makes me want to do the Coconino even more now.

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:12 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »

Superb.  I added the video to bp.net's route page on the Coconino Loop.  It's an inspiring overview of the route.

Thanks MC.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:26:34 PM
Dave-W

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »

MC:

Thanks for taking the time to put that video together for us.  I have thought long and hard of where I wanted to take my solo vacation this year, this loop is my pick for this year, after seeing your video I am even more inspired for this trip.  I will be on the trail May 13th and plan to do the loop in 4 days,  by the way you were talking that sound quite doable.  Coming from South Florida this is going to be quite different riding conditions than I am used to.... I can't wait!

Dave

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:41 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »

Love the music and the pictures.

Did I mention that I ate 6 whooper juniors on the ride home from the Grand Loop? Thank you for the inspiration, both from the video and the GL.

Topic Name: A damn fine loop. Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:14:15 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »

icon_biggrin  I forgot about the whopper juniors!  I think I topped out at three, but that's still enough to qualify as altered consciousness and surely a contributing factor in the Coco-Creation.

I keep watching the video...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: