Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:20 AM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »

I got the preliminary course finished and have the start of a home page for it.

https://sites.google.com/site/dirtypursuits/cor350

Take a look and give me your thoughts.

The track file is 18,000+ points, so it will load up fine in MapSource or TopoFusion.  Just don't try it with Google Earth; it will hang it.

Not sure if conditions will allow it, but I'm hoping to be able to go up and ride it the end of May.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:16 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

Wow, that would be epic. I was supposed to head out West and race the High Cascades 100 last year but injury prevented it. You've got parts of the HC100, CCP100 and the MRT in the route. I'd love to ride it some time!

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:31:57 PM
aljee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »

dude, awesome!
i did parts of this route last year on a pugsley trip, but i swung down to hit south Umpqua. only a small segment actually overlaps, so i don't have lot of info to share other than the area is beautiful (but you probably already knew that).
i would like to do it or something in that area again this summer - but i would like to get a lighter 29er built so i can cover more ground in a day.
I look forward to seeing more info on it, might have to try it!

If someone wanted to get to the area without driving, they could take the Amtrak to Eugene. the distance would be about 43+mi to Oakridge from Eugene (and you could work in the Northshore Trail).

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:26 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »

Just 70 hours on Amtrak to Eugene for me thumbsup

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:22 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

I could see putting this one in the bucket list.  I have never spent any time in that part of the country.

What is the approximate break down of road, 2 track, single track etc etc.  In general how ‘rideable’ would you judge the single track to be with a loaded bike?  Looks like lots of lava rock in some of the pics.  And the profile shows some truly impressive climbs.

(note to all—if you haven’t already, check out DesertDog’s web site https://sites.google.com/site/dirtypursuits/  he is building up a very nice bikepacking/racing orientated site!!)

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:31:15 AM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:31:15 AM »

I could see putting this one in the bucket list.  I have never spent any time in that part of the country.

I was up there for the first time in 2002 and fell hard for the area.  Unfortunately, it wasn't until last Fall that I got to return.  In 02, I planned on spending 2 weeks up there, I spent over 2 months going down the coast and into the interior of Central Oregon!  

It's a wonderful area and the scenery changes greatly throughout the journey.  Big vistas, big, exposed peaks, volcanic areas, killer lakes, ridgelines to the horizon, old-growth, moss-covered forests, etc...   I need to scan some of the photos I took from my 02 trip.  Didn't take as many pics this last trip and some didn't come out so great, otherwise there would be more posted on my central oregon Picasa pics.  

Just so many people you see out doing every outdoor activity; biking, hiking, climbing, kayaking.  Plenty of visitors, but the locals know what they have and truly appreciate it and are continuing to expand the opportunities.

It's kind of amazing that I did get to put the course together; just hope I can get up there to ride the complete route!  Started thinking about this course once I discovered bikepacking.  Knew there had to be a route.  Was planning to go to Idaho, instead of Oregon last Fall.  But, changed plans and bought all new maps when I got to Bend.  Saw the route and decided to ride to map, actually blowing off some pure enjoyment rides I planned to do.  Spent the week riding on a stuck-down Fox Triad and even blew out a tire out at Waldo Lake, which had me fixing a flat, hiking to camp (doughnut emergency tire wasn't going to do on the last couple miles of dirt road), tearing down camp, bikepacking back to the car and returning to Bend late on a Saturday night to get a couple new tires on Sunday morning.  Thank goodness for WalMart, cause they still have Blue Laws in Oregon!

What is the approximate break down of road, 2 track, single track etc etc.  In general how ‘rideable’ would you judge the single track to be with a loaded bike?  Looks like lots of lava rock in some of the pics.  And the profile shows some truly impressive climbs.

Check the map pic I attached.  It will give you the visual you need on the breakdown.  Yellow is ST, Red is DT/FR, and Black is pavement.

It's made to ride!  I won't make a course that is BS HAB!  Now, just like on the Apache course, there may be a short section here or there that can't be avoided, but that's it.  My thoughts on courses are that it should be rideable and enjoyable, and give you a nice challenge (though even on a course as such, there may still be times when you ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?").  But, it shouldn't be made to just screw with you to see how long until you break!

Yes, there are some volcanic areas, but nothing nasty to ride thru.  I've avoided the technical lava at the top of the McKenzie River Trail.  You'll go thru a lava area on the road to Sun River, but it's just the scenery.  The shots with the lava were actually around Sparks Lake, at the West base of Mt. Bachelor (actually the area, Sparks Lake/Soda Creek, is where the shool and church were located in the original, JW, Rooster Cogburn movie).

Oh, yes, there are some impressive climbs on the route!  But, those 10-12 mile, 3-4,000 ft. climbs out in the Oakridge area are all on forest roads.  You'll enjoy the 15 miles coming down the Apline Trail though!  Old-growth ST down to Waldo is killer; it was stellar too, doing it as a night ride with just a helmet light!

(note to all:  if you haven't already, check out DesertDog's web site https://sites.google.com/site/dirtypursuits/  he is building up a very nice bikepacking/racing orientated site!!)

Thanks.  Need to do more on it though.  A little here and there gets done, but I just haven't been able to find and keep the motivation to do everything I've planned to do.  Also doesn't help that Google is screwing around and dropping features that I need.  And I just really don't want to dive so deeply into programming again.

* cor350vismap.JPG (303.81 KB, 1024x746 - viewed 548 times.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:44:31 AM by DesertDog » Logged

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 03:47:15 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »

No chance of me riding it this year, but I definitely like the idea of it for 2012. Still annoys me that I missed out on my first trip out to Oregon last year for the High Cascades 100 and some social riding.

From your snow report it sounds like August is the best month for long term planning?

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:27 PM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »

Up in PDX, might just have to check it out this summer.  A rad looking loop indeed.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:19 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »

Looks like a fun one!

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:20 PM
sportsman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

Up in PDX, might just have to check it out this summer.  A rad looking loop indeed.

when are you interested in checking this route out?  I'm considering giving it a go in late summer/early fall....

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 11:39:01 PM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »

when are you interested in checking this route out?  I'm considering giving it a go in late summer/early fall....

Yeah, whenever from august to september would be pretty good for me.  Whatcha thinking?

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:51 AM
DesertDog

Explore and Enjoy!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:51 AM »

Sportsman, Nathan:

You guys still thinking about doing the course soon?

Thinking of possibly getting up there and making a run around the last week of August or Labor Day.

What's your thoughts and how many days were you looking to do the course?

Could do a small group first-run?

Then again, I could just set up an event?  See if the local/regional support would bring in some additional takers?

Give me your thoughts.  If you want, send me an email to my DP address at:dirtypursuits@gmail.com.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:02 PM
Rockin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

Did you ever get up to ride it? 

There are a few changes I would recommend.  First would be to consider reversing direction.  Going up Bunchgrass would not be fun.  Also, there are some more trails to consider to reduce road time.  I would bypass Sunriver and catch the Deschutes River trail out of town, then Storm King and the new trails up to Wanoga and over to Edison snow park.  Then over to Lava Lake and FS roads to Cultus Lake.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:34 AM
mtnbud

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

I was thinking of something similar for this summer, but a little shorter.  Starting at McKenzie Bridge ride up the McKenzie River trail to Clear Lake, take the Santiam Wagon Trail to Sisters, Peterson Ridge trail in Sisters to Three Creeks Lake.  Three Creeks Lake to Todd Lake via dirt roads.  From Todd Lake theres a trail straight across the highway that hooks into the Sparks Lake – Lava Lake Trail that ends at Lava Lake.  From Lava Lake to Cultus and around Cultus to Little Cultus and the Charlton Lake Trail.  Waldo Lake to the Bunchgrass Ridge Trail and then the Aufderheide back to McKenzie Bridge.  I've ridden all of theses trails on day trips, but never the Bunchgrass Ridge trail.

It'd be my first experience with bikepacking.  I've bicycle toured, mountain biked and backpacked for over 25 years.  I would do at least one over night trip first to make sure my packing and equipment were acceptable.  I usually ride 75-85 miles a day when touring on the pavement.  I can ride 100+ miles on pavement no problem if I start early enough.  Would an estimate of 50 miles a day for this route be reasonable?  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:57 AM
Rockin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

You can catch trails from Three Creeks to Todd Lake, although the road route would be less climbing.  Plan on Bunchgrass taking more time unless it has been ridden more than last time I was on it.

After trying to figure out a good loop similar to this route I am going to do something different.  Too many miles on roads for me.

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:29 PM
perrygeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »

I'm planning/hoping to ride something similar to this route next year (probably in late Sept 2013). I've scoped out parts of the course and there are some modifications that I'll likely make:

• Start straight from Phil's and take North Fork up to Matoleus Windigo.
  • After Mackenzie River Trail, Cut south onto the O'Leary trail
  • Try to scope out a more direct route on the fireroads to the top of Alpine trail
  • Instead of going to Sun River from Cultus Lake, go NW towards Bachelor and take the Edison Lava trail, wanoga trails and deschutes river trail back to town.

The only thing that bugs me about the route is climbing Bunchgrass sad2 I may consider trying to go up the Middle Fork Willamette and then make my way up to Waldo lake from there (not sure if this is possible without lots of road or hitting wilderness boundaries/PCT).

Anyways, that's the (still evolving) plan. Has anyone attempted this yet? Any advice?

-- matt perry

Topic Name: The Central Oregon (COR) 350 - Take a look Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:24 PM
Rockin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »

I go back and forth on reversing direction.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: