Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 on: March 09, 2011, 07:29:48 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »

First, the total stats:
127 miles
14,000 climbing
17 hours moving

Keith, James, Jackson, and myself drove up to Mena, Arkansas last Thursday to go on a little adventure. Our original plan was to do an almost complete 140 mile loop of singletrack.  Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as easy as we thought they might.  Here is our story.

We pulled in to Mena around 10pm on Thursday.  We quickly loaded up the bikes and set off up the double track so we could set up camp away from the road.  Little did we realize we were setting up on the top of a ridge with a constant 15mph wind gusting to around 25 at times.  Needless to say, it took awhile to set up camp.  The tarps were catching all the wind.

You can see in the pic above how the tarps are all "fluffed up" from the wind.  Even though it wasn't a cold wind, it was still difficult to get any sleep that night.  Some of us tried burrowing into our bags just to get out of it.

Because of the wind, it took a while to pack up and get moving.  We decided that we would set our own pace and head up the double track until we found a spot out of the wind to have some breakfast.  Apparently there was some miscommunication because James was the last one out of camp and I think either went the wrong way, or just sat around waiting for us to show up!  Oh well, we soon got together, had our meal and got going.

Some of us chose to cook our food.  I used a thawed out frozen Amy's burrito.

At 300 calories a pop, they got me going.

After the 4 mile climb we enter the singletrack on the Ouachita Trail.  Let me just start by saying that the Ouachita Trail was created for hikers, not cyclists.  Therefore, it is an extremely difficult trail in places.  It is up and down almost the whole time with tons of baby heads and small boulders in the way. 

There was a lot of this going on...

Our first real stop for water was around 30 miles away.  For mountain bikers, that should take roughly 4 hours in challenging terrain.  I think it took us around 7ish hours to get there.  We were all out of water and totally exhausted.  I think Jackson was in the deepest hole of all.  His voice was creaky and his legs were cramping.  But if there is one thing anyone needs to know about Jackson is that he doesn't stop unless he physically can't do it anymore.  I knew we were fine.

We loaded up on water

Some of us took advantage of the down time.

I told the crew that we couldn't stop here for the night.  We had a long day ahead of us tomorrow and a lot of trail still to cover.  We had about 3 hours of actual daylight left so we got back on the trail.  Keith and I decided we would ride ahead and James and Jackson would stick together.  We told them that in about an hour we would go ahead and stop and set up camp.

What we didn't realize was how hard this next section of trail was going to be.  Tons of loose rock with a lot of climbing and hike a biking.  Fallen trees and steep drops/step-ups were common and made for slow going.  We finally made it near the top of Blowout Mtn (I think?) and Keith and I spent around 30 minutes of stop and go trying to find a good spot to camp.  Our main priority was finding something semi flat so we could have a campfire, out of the wind, and not full of briars.  We found what we thought was the perfect spot.  Oh yeah, it was an hour and a half of riding which put the other guys in about an hour and forty five minutes back.  My bad. 

I built us a fire and ate my dinner while the others were setting up camp.  Soon they came and joined me next to the fire and we sat around talking about bikes, farts, and how hard this stupid trail is.  Eventually we all decided to hit the hay.  I brought my Amazon Kindle as my one luxury item and sat in my hammock for an hour or so and read and listened to the leaves rustle beneath my hammock.  I started to see heat lightening in the distance and remembered that there was a cold front that was coming in tonight. 

What side of the mountain were we on?  Oh, that's right, the north facing side.  Around midnight the wind picked up and it started to sprinkle.  I LOVE sleeping in a hammock when it's raining.  Sadly, a couple hours later it stopped sprinkling and started dumping rain and the wind was WHIPPING us around in our hammocks.  We all laid in our hammocks hoping not to be blown away.  The wind was blowing so hard it was pushing our rain fly's into our hammocks and getting our sleeping bags and hammocks wet.  It was a very long and very cold night...followed by a very cold morning.

We all got out of our bags around 7:45 am and walked to the other side of the ridge and hid behind a boulder.  It was amazing.  While it was for sure cold, without the wind we were at least able to warm up some.  We ate our breakfast over there (Jackson at his lunch also, tuna fish...gross), packed up and headed out in the freezing cold.  We had to pack up our wet sleeping bags and all our gear.  On top of that we had to put on we chamois because all of our were wet, along with our jersey's.  I don't know how much ya'll know about wet chamois and the male anatomy.  But let's just say that things down there don't like cold objects.  Even the cream to prevent the rawness was solidified.  Ouch.

We got going and the trail was still quite difficult at times but became more and more enjoyable.  Our goal was to reach the Womble and hopefully the Fishing Village for some food and maybe some shelter. 

There were a few wrecks along the way.

Keith trying to make a sharp, loose, downhill switchback (if I don't make something he has to try it).

Not 2 minutes later Jackson got his big butt stuck between 2 trees while going a bit to fast and went down pretty hard.

We finally got to the Womble Trail.  The Womble is an amazing trail built with cyclists in mind.  Fast and swoopy trails, moderate climbs, and killer views throughout.  Keith and I were FLYING through it. We made it to the Fishing Village in time to talk to the owner.  I asked him if he had any cabins available and how much they cost and the first thing he asked me is, "well, what do you boys do for a living."  Keith, the physical therapist just kept his eye's on the floor while I proudly stated that I was a teacher.  He said, "Shoot, teachers make tons of money."  Luckily his wife heard him and very quickly put him in his place.  He told me he had a cabin and would be happy to rent us one for the night.

He also told us that he could cook something up for us.  Basically, he would have sold us anything we were willing to pay for.  We were most certainly willing to pay for shelter and food.  The wife told us that it was going to get down to around 28 degrees.  We still had wet sleeping bags and the temps didn't get above 43 all day.  We had been chilled pretty much the entire time.  The decision was easy.

James made a bee line for the showers.  He likes to be clean.  Jackson made a bee line to the heater, he likes to be warm, Keith started getting naked, he likes to show his body off, and I just wanted to lay down.

You can't beat 4 beds, hot showers, heat, and a stove with all the supplies for 22 bucks a person!

By the next day that room probably had to be severely aired out.  Between the HORRIBLE gas being spilled into the air but some people who I won't name, and the clothes that were being hung in front of the heater, one could probably imagine how bad things were.

By this point we knew we weren't going to be able to finish all the singletrack.  We had to deviate from the original plan.  We decided to finish the Womble (27 more miles) and take the road back (another 45ish miles). 

We flew through the Womble, had lunch, and got on the road.  We had a nice tailwind for the road into Mena, but had a headwind and some crazy difficult climbs for the last 5 or 6 miles back to the truck.  We were all pretty much out of water, completely exhausted, and extremely hungry.

So, I'm 0 for 2 on this loop.  I have underestimated the amount of effort and time it takes to ride the Ouachita.  It's a trail like no other.  So very difficult and the weather made it even moreso. 

We had a fantastic time.  We're all great friends and will be doing other adventures in the future.  I learned a few things from this trip which I'll discuss in another post.   

If I had one picture that I think would reflect this trip, it would be this one...

Off the bike, pushing the bike, cold (his arm warmers were soaked so he chose not to wear them), tired, but totally having a great time.

Thanks for reading.
Travis
ps.  I have a lot of video as well that is very entertaining.  I'll try to post that soon.

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:04 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »

Sorry for the size of the pics.  I didn't mean to post them that big! 

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:24 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »

cold, wet pushing the bike but still enjoying the experience --I think most of the readers here understand that

nice write up, makes me want to pack up and head out the door--------

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
MattySF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »

Sounds like quite a bit of trial trail that lead up to a triumphant trip. Do you think you will increase your capacity for caring water next time you make this trip? Just the thought of running out of water scares me.
Thanks for posting.

Gone Campin!!

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:45:34 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:45:34 AM »

No, I wouldn't.  I actually didn't run totally out, I had about 5 ounces left.  If it was to get hotter, than yes, I would increase the amt but I wasn't too concerned with it.  I've been slowly adapting myself to a reduction in water consumption. 

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:46 PM
ONEPLUSONEEQUALSONE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

nice write up. sounds like our trip at thanksgiving http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/3-days-ouachita-womble-trails/ we also did not make all of our trip goal but had a great time. roland (fishing village guy) is a great host and will bend over backwards for riders. we in fact did not have alot of cash on us and he told me to just send a check when we got back home. try that in alot of places Smiley the ouachita and womble trails can put the hurt to you with cold wind, rain,snow or all of the above all at once. i'll be up there for tdr training over the next few weeks for sure.
later 1

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:40:06 PM
mattinaustin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Great write up!  And if the trip goes perfectly smooth its not nearly as memorable :-)  I know how strong of a rider you are so it must have been brutal. 

One of these days I am going to make the drive up there.  Looks like a fun and challenging route.

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:22 AM
SandSurfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:22 AM »

Late to the party, but I had a question.  From the end of the Womble, how do you get back to Mena?  I've done all of the Womble and the Oachita from above Oden all the way to the Womble above the fishing village.  Would you do it as a lollipop, getting back on the Oachita?

Great adventure.  Jimbo

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:32 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:32 AM »

There are 2 ways.  The quick way would be to take the road back.  I've had to do that twice.  By quick, I mean it's about 45 miles and very hilly.  Take the dirt roads to Oden then from there to Mena.  That road runs directly into Mena.  Or, what I want to do, and what I will do eventually is do a lollipop and take the Ouachita back.  Ride to Oden and hop back on the OT there.  It's only around 30 miles of trail, but it's that section that is so EXTREMELY rugged and steep with so much hiking.  Takes around 6 or 7 hours at a descent clip.

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:06:23 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »

Will I be O for 3?  Gonna give this thing a go again in 3 weeks.  My only problem is my geared frame broke and I have my rigid SS.  Ugh.

This is such a great route though.  I REALLY want to get this monkey off my back and complete it.  I'll post up pics/write up when it's all said and done.  I just read through it while thinking about what gear I was going to bring this time around and it totally got me jazzed up!

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:39:50 PM
donmeredith74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »

I know all about monkeys... have a back full of them. Wink Great post - thanks for sharing!

DM

Don Meredith
Greenville, SC
http://lightpack.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:05 AM
triyourself

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

Awesome trip report. Sure brings back memories of my very short OT trail experience. One of the best memeories I have with my Dad. Keep at it, you will you'll get that monkey down, and off the back tire where it belongs.

Work Hard, Play Harder, but Always
Triyourself

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:10 PM
ruthslp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »

yeah, thanks for posting. the ouchita was on my bucket list to do a first time exploring of this year anyway as it's a place i have never been and read you can ride a lot of trails there. i plan on making it down sometime this summer.....

Topic Name: Ouachita Trail Bikepacking Trip; Spring 2011 Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:33 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

The monkey is off my back and can suck it. That was hard. The drive home and having to go to work tomorrow will super suck. Details to come!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: