Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 05:52:27 AM
RyanWriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 05:52:27 AM »

That's pretty much what I've been thinking, but I haven't been putting in the time. I did get the Trek and have been riding. Right now my plan is simple: build up distance until I can ride all day and do back-to-back 125+ mile days without feeling like I can't move the next day. Getting in the time is the biggest issue right now with work & family.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:52 AM
chriskmurray

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

I am also surprised at how much time is spent talking about gear instead of getting the most important piece of equipment ready, your body (mentally and physically)

Personally I am new at multi day races, this year I plan to commute daily, make hard 3ish hour climbs feel normal, try to complete the CTR and if that goes well try and tackle the TD next year if funds come together and the wife agrees.  I thought about trying to jump straight into the TD but I would imagine it would be a while before I can politic it out among work and my wife to try for it two years in a row so I want to know my first attempt gives me a solid chance at finishing, or at least know I prepared for all I could coming into the ride.  Actually I still have not asked for time off for CTR yet...

My commute is only 7ish miles RT but I can take a route through Cheyenne Canyon that will give me about 1.5 hrs of climbing and about 2-2.5 hrs total on the way to work and plan to try and do that at least once a week.  Other than that I am new to CO and just plan to explore quite a bit, I really want to do the Ring the Peak route at least every other month.

Other than bike stuff, I plan to work on flexibility because mine is horrible and I attribute that to some of my cramping issues and I also will be doing a bit of kettle bell work, at least during winter to work on my core (and every other muscle in my body) quite a bit.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:06 AM
aplummer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »

My secret training method for 2011's TD was to build up hours on the turbo trainer through the winter months. When I could ride it for 6 hours, I was ready to go outside and hit the trails and faff about with equipment.

Its all about the legs.
6hrs on a trainer, thats commitment i think about an hour is all i have ever been able to handle before i want to slit my wrists

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:19 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »

6hrs on a trainer, thats commitment i think about an hour is all i have ever been able to handle before i want to slit my wrists

^^^THIS^^^

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
chriskmurray

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »

Rob, at least we know you do not need to work on your mental toughness  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:13 PM
siattc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

This is my first TD. June 8, 2012.  I am 55 yrs. old and have been racing and riding for 37 yrs.  Any suggestions on training?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 04:51:02 PM
siattc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

how many miles in your legs?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:40 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »

Hi,

I'm new here.  I've been training for the divide race in 2013.

Are there people here that have already done it.  I have an endurance coach that has done several RAAM's and a lot of long mtb rides (but never the divide).

The training is turning into a full time job so far!

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:42:03 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm new here.  I've been training for the divide race in 2013.

Are there people here that have already done it.  I have an endurance coach that has done several RAAM's and a lot of long mtb rides (but never the divide).

The training is turning into a full time job so far!

Train your butt to endure 16 hours a day in the saddle without rest days; train your legs to climb.  Otherwise, it's mostly mental.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:37 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Bob,

I'm working up to that.  My coach is doing it safely.  Loooong road to go but I'd love to race it.

I'd love to hear stories about the not-so-romanticized parts of the Divide ride.

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:13 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

I'd love to hear stories about the not-so-romanticized parts of the Divide ride.

Washboarded roads. Miles of washboarded roads. Saddle sores so large and painful, they acquire names and not nice ones, at that. The lowering of one's IQ over time exponentially and the curious choices made. Tourists near Yellowstone and Jackson. The Great Divide Basin. Boredom. Vacation-heads in Breckenridge. Locked and/or dry wells in New Mexico. The price of food in Banff. The price of Lithium batteries everywhere.

The horrors.

The incredible kindness of the locals on route make up for most of this. Except the washboarded roads.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:22 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »

tourist = what do they do?  be annoying?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:45 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

the horrors = washboarded roads?  or giant grizzlies sneaking up out of nowhere to take all your lara bars?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:05 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

The bike path through Summit County can be filled with families on vacation that will certainly be in a different mindset than a TD racer. Be careful - if you're lucky your, "On your left!" will simply be ignored and you won't get punched out by someone not paying attention as you pass them. I'll leave it at that. Boreas Pass is also pretty popular, as you can get almost anything up it - I've done it in a early 80's VW Rabbit with no problems.
Oh that reminds me of the Gamble of South Park: Winds can get a bit
"brisk"
there.

The bike path last year through Steamboat was hilariously underwater - I haven't seen any photos of that from anyone (nor did I take photos). The locals there were are rad. I got my ass handed to me on the road by some gnarly looking locals. 

It's a good idea to be bear-aware on the track, until after Union Pass. I think the greatest danger is sneaking up on one that's on the road - easy to do, going downhill and going around a corner. I myself sang Ramones songs as off key as possible, sub'ing my own bear-centered lyrics. 

The forest service took my bears away
far far away
Away from me
The forest service took my bears away
far far away
away from me

Now I don't know
Where the bears can be
They took them from me
They took them from me
I don't know
Where the bears can be
And that's OK
And that's OK, with me.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 04:04:13 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »

ha - we have people like that on our trails here (b'ham...Oak Mt State Park).  My fav is when folks don't have a helmet on...I generally bark at them.

I probably could flood this thread with 2 million questions.  I guess a few, if you don't mind... did you finish? how long did it take?  did you have loved ones back home and could you contact them via cell (or do you have to use check in phones?...I've read conflicting stories).  also, is there any pre registration or you just "show up?"

I'm going to attempt at 350 miler from S.C. to Alabama (all over the apps in Georgia) this august.  So this will be a precursor (albeit a tiny one).

lastly - what did you usually consume on long stretches where there was nothing but you and your tires?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

Well, do check out the other Tour Divide threads in this forum, as well as the http://tourdivide.org site.

did you finish? how long did it take?

Personally, I crashed out on day ~30 with a sprained shoulder. Had around 130 miles to go. Kent did a nice Q&A if you'd like particulars.

did you have loved ones back home and could you contact them via cell (or do you have to use check in phones?...

My Brother, who lives in the route was following along via TrackLeaders, as were friends. My sister may have been the only one to call me. She was, strangely enough, *also* riding her bike across country. Cell phones are allowed, but coverage in some areas is spotty. A Spot tracker is also useful, but not required.

also, is there any pre registration or you just "show up?"

You may want to contact Matt on the Tour Divide website, he'll give you the deets on the TrackLeaders/Spot stuff, as well as reservation info for the YWCA in Banff, if you'd like to be a part of the Grand Depart.

lastly - what did you usually consume on long stretches where there was nothing but you and your tires?

Music Smiley I think I did the Great Divide Basin on Peanut Butter and A loaf of bread, plus some M&M's and a beer given to me by a local in Atlantic City.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:00 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »

thanks for all the info.  so you did the tour, not the race, right? 

I'm interested in doing the race mainly because I want to get through it in 25-26 days (if possible, I'm in no shape yet to do that).

What was your bikepack setup? 

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:42 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:42 AM »

The bike path last year through Steamboat was hilariously underwater - I haven't seen any photos of that from anyone (nor did I take photos).

Here are a couple:

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 04:38:04 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 04:38:04 AM »

thanks for all the info.  so you did the tour, not the race, right? 

I'm interested in doing the race mainly because I want to get through it in 25-26 days (if possible, I'm in no shape yet to do that).

What was your bikepack setup? 

The Tour Divide IS the race: http://tourdivide.org/

Most people finish in 25 days or less. Justin (TheArtist) is being modest. It's true that it took him longer, but that's because he was the only one to take all the snow routes, for which there were available detours. Everybody took the detours, except him (Roland did take one snow route). That means he sometimes spent up to 3 days going through miles and miles of pushing his bike in the snow. His courage and resilience were simply amazing. His crash just 130 miles from the finish line was heartbreaking for everybody. I was already back home by this point, and like everybody, I was watching the Leaderboard all the time to see how he would do. We were all cheering!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics: Training Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:24 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:24 AM »

the horrors = washboarded roads?  or giant grizzlies sneaking up out of nowhere to take all your lara bars?

Or giant black bears:

One guy almost died when a bear startled him and made him fall into river rapids!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: