Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:17 PM
Juan Speeder

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »

Just thinking about footwear and all...

Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:39 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »

There are a couple of extended sections during the AZT 300 where you will be pushing your bike.  That said there is not really all that much.  However, it’s quite common to have to dismount to quickly scramble up or down over a difficult section.  

It does add up in wear & tear on the feet and with a loaded bike can be exhausting if you do not ‘pace’ your efforts.  But if you have shoes that don’t ‘slip’ and don’t cause blisters then the hike scrambles and sections are just part of the experience—no big deal.

My normal bike shoe (basic 3 strap Mavic) works fine for me, others go for a more hike style bike shoe.

In short I would recommend a shoe that cups the heel firmly, has good traction on rock and will not cause blisters.  

Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:21 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:21 AM »

It all depends on your technical skills. I'm sure top riders could pedal 99% of it given the right conditions. That leaves what...3 miles of hike-a-bike. Like Marshall said, there are just a few longer sections (4?), mostly <1/4 mile, but lots of short bits. I'd wear my Pearl X-Alp Pro shoes again if I did it (they made running up the final climbs after Box Canyon possible a couple years ago when Stefan was right on my tail). If you're not as comfortable on steep, loose climbs, there could be a lot more pushing.

Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:42:03 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »

That depends, is Oracle ridge still in there? If so that section of trail Sucks, lots of hiking. Otherwise there is a fair amount of good bench trail that is smooth and fast. Man, Oracle ridge is a doozie! I wore running shoes and flat pedals last year and was quite happy. Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:04:03 PM
pbasinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

I remember tons of hiking. Mostly on and off.  So much that I considered hurting Scott a few times during the trip just to make myself feel better.

I would bring shoes that are good for walking.
P

Topic Name: What's the percentage of hike-a-bike on the AZT 300? Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:13 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:13 AM »

That depends, is Oracle ridge still in there? If so that section of trail Sucks, lots of hiking. Otherwise there is a fair amount of good bench trail that is smooth and fast. Man, Oracle ridge is a doozie! I wore running shoes and flat pedals last year and was quite happy. Jefe

Oracle ridge is still in as far as I know. The top has seen some work and is a lot better now. Also there is likely going to be a new segment steward on that section. It's still going to be slow hard work but as with other sections a little TLC will definitely help.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: