Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:56 PM
redheeler

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »

Hey there,
This'll be my first post on the site.  I recognize some of the names on here from following TD for the past few years and I look forward to getting to know you all.  I'll be riding TD this year and I'd greatly appreciate any advice you all may have.  My question today has to do with logistics.  It seems kind of like a board game...how to get yourself and your bike to Banff, ride to Antelope Wells, then get home.  I'm thinking I may drive my pickup to Banff and leave it there.  Then get transportation back up to Banff.
Is there a pay and park facility in Banff?  Is there public transportation northward from the Antelope Wells area?
Thanks in advance!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:11 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »

I'm having trouble with this, as well, but I live smack dab in the middle of the TD course (almost), so I may hitch a ride from a friend one way - and the other. There's a chance my band will be on a Pacific Coast tour in late May/early June, which is a logistical nightmare for me timing-wise and training-wise, but I may just rent a car somewhere in, say, Portland and drop if off at Calgary and from there, shuttle it to Banff.

AW isn't super far from Denver - but it's not close, I may shuttle from it (or a town close to it) to a city and then bus it back.

I'll be a rookie too - good luck!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:20 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

Banff had lots of options--goggle them up

AW is just a name on a map--zreo zero zero  services there

however--there is a regular shuttle coming from Mexico heading north that has been used and many racers make arrangements in Sliver City for a van to pick them up -- both have proven to be viable options if there are no family or friends of your own,
(***also common are last min/unplanned rides with fellow TDR racers who finish at/near the same time***)

a little checking on the TDR web site resource section and goggle should get you names/numbers/options etc etc

If it was me I would make a plan A, B and C for getting out of AW--that way you can pick the one that best fits when the time comes

Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:43 PM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:43 PM »

Hey there,
This'll be my first post on the site.  I recognize some of the names on here from following TD for the past few years and I look forward to getting to know you all.  I'll be riding TD this year and I'd greatly appreciate any advice you all may have.  My question today has to do with logistics.  It seems kind of like a board game...how to get yourself and your bike to Banff, ride to Antelope Wells, then get home.  I'm thinking I may drive my pickup to Banff and leave it there.  Then get transportation back up to Banff.
Is there a pay and park facility in Banff?  Is there public transportation northward from the Antelope Wells area?
Thanks in advance!

there is no such pay and park facility in banff, or any of the surrounding municipalities.  a potential option - the town of banff has a lot for storing RV's,  boats etc.  You could try putting your truck in there for a month.  I believe it's $85 CAD/month.  Worth a shot.  Banff RV storage

Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:54:25 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:54:25 AM »

I've planned, as suggested by Marshal, for several options....

I may have a shot at catching a ride with a friend that will be coming out of Mexico visiting family at the time i finish

I will try to use the shuttle out of Mexico to get to Deming and from there use bus/train/shuttle to El Paso

I will ride my bike to Deming and use one of the above to El Paso.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Tour Divide Logistics Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:23:16 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »

I hope to arrive in North America (from UK) about 3-4 weeks before the Grand Depart for a couple of weeks riding and travel to Banff during the week before.  If anybody wants to share transport up I am happy to share costs - would prefer from Colorado or somewhere else with a bit of elevation but not to fussed.  Not booked flights yet. My plan B is just to go straight to Canada.

Will sort out going home later, as long as I am back in Ireland for family reasons by 20th August and for SSWC a week later I am in no rush to leave the USA.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: