Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: PA bike packing on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:04 PM
Konaunit

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »

Does anyone on here know of any good bike packing trails in PA Im very new to this Ive only done it once but i can handle technical terain im racing in the wilderness 101 100 mile race in state college this year im looking for around a 30 mile loop to help with training  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:15 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

30 miles ain't bikepacking. If that's all you want, just ride out to your local park at 10pm, ride 15 miles, camp, then finish the loop in the morning and ride back. The rail trails on the east side of PA open up some really big routes. You could the Perkiomen from Green Lane to Valley Forge, The Schyukil from VF to to Wissahickon, ride wissahickon, then get back on the path and ride to/ride Belmont, Back on the path, 'bushwack' through North Philly(bring bear spray), and up to Pennypack, ride that, and then ride up/over a few miles to the Delaware canal trail, up to Easton, hang a left on the Lehigh Canal, over to Allentown, work your way over to whre the trail continues up to Jim Thorpe, ride there, get back on the LCT and ride to it's northern terminus at White Haven. Then Head up to Eckley and explore the coal mining ruins and museum and call it a trip.

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:39 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »

The answer is in the question.

The Wilderness 101 course is a good starting point.  Do it as a 2 day weekend ride pick a start/finish point so you end up at a good place to camp mid-way. 

You will get in 2 days of training and will have pre-ridden the course for the real race.    thumbsup

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:59 PM
Konaunit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

Thanks for the tips bike packing on the wilderness 101 course does sound fun i have 1 other question tho ive only bike packed once so i dont know anything about this is it better to use a backpacking backpack with chest straps and stuff like that or pack everything on the bike on racks my first and only trip so far i used a canvas topload sack which was basically a duffelbag with straps and i acually bruised my shoulders video on youtube an august campsite posted by pickngrinn

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:57:14 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »

How you carry your gear is something that you want to figure out for yourself, it is and individual preferrence and may depend on your creativity and problem solving ability.

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:57 PM
Hubcap29erMan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »

I live on the w101 course and can make a few recommendations for you on camping if interested.  Just drop me a line. 

Topic Name: PA bike packing Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:49 PM
WWOOF

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »

30 miles ain't bikepacking. If that's all you want, just ride out to your local park at 10pm, ride 15 miles, camp, then finish the loop in the morning and ride back. The rail trails on the east side of PA open up some really big routes. You could the Perkiomen from Green Lane to Valley Forge, The Schyukil from VF to to Wissahickon, ride wissahickon, then get back on the path and ride to/ride Belmont, Back on the path, 'bushwack' through North Philly(bring bear spray), and up to Pennypack, ride that, and then ride up/over a few miles to the Delaware canal trail, up to Easton, hang a left on the Lehigh Canal, over to Allentown, work your way over to whre the trail continues up to Jim Thorpe, ride there, get back on the LCT and ride to it's northern terminus at White Haven. Then Head up to Eckley and explore the coal mining ruins and museum and call it a trip.

hahahaha dude such a good post!!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: