Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:26 PM
robotfury

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »

Building up my Bandersnatch and am contemplating groups.  I was going to just throw in the xtr/sram mix I have on my RacerX, but I've decided to just sell a bike to put money towards the Bandy and future TD extravabonanza.  I part time it in a road/tri shop and have access to a reasonably priced groupset through our distributors... but what groupset?  I am also a grad student, so while I have access to deals, I lack the money to capitalize on them - yes, a kind of hell.

Mostly I XC and my instinct is to go with XTR (the 2011 is just dreamy, tried it on a my friend's Superfly 100 and just swooned), or SRAM, but I have read in glimpses throughout the forums here a kind of default acknowledgment that XT is THE bombproof and choice groupset over the distance/duration/strain - as it is more durable, cheapish to replace and easy to maintain/repair? I know to each their own and that nothing - even Shimano - is impervious, but XT reads as the best tool for the job. So  I am leaning toward XT but would like to defer a bit to the multiday experience here on the forum. I am sure XTR is great, but after 2000 miles it certainly won't be - or will it.  I am also wondering if anything is gained/lost with an XT/XTR Mix? The XTR shifters and brakes are just superb. 

I mean, if you could buy XT or XTR for, say, the TD, which would it be? 

M

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:40 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »

XT.  I've had a lot of experience with both XTR and XT (personally and as a shop and team mechanic) and while XTR is light and nice, it's finicky.  Have NOT tried the 2011 XTR as of yet, but honestly I'm not really interested.  Went through three XTR calipers in 1.5 years before talking Shimano into trading me my XTR brakes for XTs - been a year since and zero problems.  Also, for bikepacking-specific use, things like carbon derailleur cages (XTR and SRAM X.0) are pretty frail and a great way to find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere.  One of the 2010 CTR racers had an XTR carbon cage snap on him and spent the last day into Durango walking/coasting.

Finally, for half or two-thirds the price of XTR, what's not to like about XT?  Durable, solid, and a paltry few grams heavier.  For 2011's geared outings, I'll be using XT for shifting/braking.  XTR cranks are really nice, light, and bombproof, however - I still love these.  Zero issues ever, had three different cranks on four different bikes.

Hope that opinion helps you out.  Good luck!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:09 AM
robotfury

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »

That is perfect. Basically, the same thing said about Ultegra vs. DA, especially where DA is finicky.  Ultegra just works and does so perfectly.  Thanks.

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:21 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »

I am considering XT or SLX as my current chainset is OK but will need replacing before such a long tour.  Do not know what the weight penalty is for SLX over XT but thought the SLX rings might be harder wearing and so a better bet for TD.  Any thoughts as I would prefer to buy crankset to last ~3,000 miles?  (Current cranks are XT square taper).

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:36 PM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »

Robotfury:
I have bounced on this many times.  XTR is actually only .08 lb weight savings from XT. 

xt    xtr   weight savings
cassette           0.72   0.49   0.23
crank set           1.42   1.54   -0.12
shifters           1.05   0.46   0.59
brake                   1.65   2.42   -0.77
front derailleur   0.34   0.28   0.06
rear derailleur   0.45   0.38   0.07
chain                   0.59   0.57   0.02
                         0.08 Total

The bigger thing which has swayed me is that XTR is made to last.  The cassette is titanium and steel.  The 5 biggest cogs are titanium.  The others are steel. This will last much longer than an XT cassette.  I have gotten about 700 miles out of XT cassettes and nearly 2,000 miles out of XTR cassettes. Although, mileage might be quite different on the TD this summer, especially with all of the snow melt. That will get you to Salida, CO. The center chain ring on XTR has titanium teeth and a carbon body.  The guy who said he had problems with the XTR brakes is the first person I have ever heard of anyone having problems with XTR. 

I have a few buddies that are bike packers and ultra bike racers.  When I asked them, they all said XTR without any hesitation.  My mechanic buddies have all said XTR.  So, you can see what I am thinking.

Regardless, it is just a matter of planning.  From my analysis, we need something to at least make it to Steamboat, Breckenridge or Salida where some of the better bike shops are so replacements can be had.....that is hoping that we make it out Montana unscathed. 

See you in Banff. 

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:10 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »

RoboFury -

What's the cost delta between the XT and XTR groupos you are considering?  Is it worth the extra $$ to potentially trash the cassette and maybe more by the time you get to Salida?  FWIW, I say XT, from a big-picture holistic viewpoint: the bike needs to get me down the road day after day for 20 days straight, give or take a few days.  Also, FWIW, I rode a 2010 Fisher X-Cal during last summer's TD.  Nothing fancy.  It went the hole way without any cassette/cog/shifter replacements - just a tune up in Steamboat.

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:32 AM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:32 AM »

RoboFury -

What's the cost delta between the XT and XTR groupos you are considering?  Is it worth the extra $$ to potentially trash the cassette and maybe more by the time you get to Salida?  FWIW, I say XT, from a big-picture holistic viewpoint: the bike needs to get me down the road day after day for 20 days straight, give or take a few days.  Also, FWIW, I rode a 2010 Fisher X-Cal during last summer's TD.  Nothing fancy.  It went the hole way without any cassette/cog/shifter replacements - just a tune up in Steamboat.

Mikepro:
Congratulations on your ride last year!  That is great to hear.  So, are you Mike P. or Mike G.?  How did you keep the mud from tearing everything up?  I have read and talk to folks that by the time they got to Steamboat, they needed new cassettes, chainrings, chains and much more....because of the mud.  I have a sinking suspicion that the mud this summer is going to be much worse than usual with the once in a decade amount of snow that has been dumped on the Great Divide. 

Well for me, I have XT, but have a great deal to get XTR.  Regardless, it is still a chunk of cash.  Also, when I was at Interbike this summer, Moots had Eric Lobeck's bike on display.  It was pretty cool and still kind of dirty.  Lobeck's bike had XTR all the way.  I must have spent about an hour going over it with a fine tooth comb. 

Thank you for jumping in on this.  It is always awesome talking to a veteran with this kind of experience! 

The BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) is that either XT or XTR will work

Topic Name: XT or not to XT for multiday ultra racing? Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:32:51 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »

Well, Lobeck did finish 3+ days faster than me, so that's a strong case in itself for XTR.  He did have mech issues outside of Lima, MT, I believe, so you might wanna listen back through his racer call-ins or his past posts on this site to see what the issue was (I don't recall at the moment).  While Lobeck and others dealt with mud between Wise River and Lima and beyond, I was in the group that dealt with it between Seeley Lake and Wise River.  Definitely muddy, and some walking, but mostly kept it rolling.  2009 seemed to have more rain/mud than 2010, so yes each year will have a different experience and different levels of intensity that your components will be tested with.  I think there's something to be said for riding style as well, and not forcing or hammering when jammed up.  From years of racing, I've learned to "shift lightly", and especially in multi-day racing one can afford to spend an extra second to shift smooth / ease up while shifting.

Agree with your BLUF, fo' sho'.  It's more about what's in a rider's head, than what's on the rider's bike.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: