Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:35 AM
batty

Base Camp - Southwestern PA

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:35 AM »

I just put the planning wraps on a 9 day tour through the monongahela and george washington national forests. Currently the route is 476 miles long, featuring 318 on dirt (123 is single track).  Those of you who are familiar with this area know about the great riding, spectacular wilderness and challenging terrain that is available.  I've been trying to pull this off for several years now and life just kept getting in the way.  However, the wait has been a blessing, because I think the current plan is better than my original.  I don't have a lot of latitude on trip dates and there are elk caving restrictions in certain areas of the george washington national forest.

I am planning to leave from Davis, WV on July 11 and return back on July 19.  The route (without great detail) will traverse the following areas; Blackwater Falls State Park, Canaan Mountain, Spruce Knob, Laurel Fork Wilderness, West-Fork Rail Trail, Cass Railroad (Bald Knob), Snowshoe, Tea Creek, Cranberry Wilderness, Greenbrier River Trail, Watoga State Park, Fore Mountain, Douthat State Park, Little Mare Mountain, Shenandoah Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Smoke Hole, North Fork Mountain, Dolly Sods, Canaan Valley State Park, Canaan Mountain and back to Davis WV.  It obviously takes advantage of single track almost daily and lots of forest service roads.  The bulk of the paved miles is border crossing.

If this is something that interests you and you have the experience for and can train for, send me a message.  Although I have a route planned, I would expect interested parties to have some opinions/knowledge that could possibly enhance the trip.  I personally have completed various 2-4 day trips in PA/WV over the years and just really want to do some extended tours.  I'm not trying to race or add unnecessary suffering to trips.  I love the mid-atlantic wilderness areas and like to enjoy them by bike. I have a few friends that are planning to meet me for parts of the trip, but none that can commit to do the whole thing. 

I certainly plan on sharing the GPS tracks with everyone once (hopefully) complete.

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:40:50 PM
kozorac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »

Batty- This sounds perfect. I'm familiar with the Thomas/Davis singletrack (Plantation Trail, etc.) as well as the area around Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks. In brief, it doesn't get any better.  I'm currently training for the AML-X (see Ultra race calendar on this site) which starts on May 1st and has the northern portion of route going thru Blackwater Canyon to Thomas and beyond.

Are you based in southwest Pa? I'm located just north of Pittsburgh. Are you interested in some long weekend training rides? Let's talk.

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:06:54 PM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »

Saw the AML-X race on the calendar - missed the route info.  I'm sure it will be challenging (especially in May).

I live near North Park and would definitely be interested in some training rides.  I'm hoping to hit the roads (and trails eventually) soon.  I have planned to do the wilderness 101 route as an overnight training/shake-down trip.  It is a great loop on its own.

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:57 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:57 PM »

I came up with a similar route that is not quite as ambitious as what is proposed.  

I've never ridden my route, it scares me.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=3147.0

edit 2/23/15 - fix link to thread

edit 3/1/2015  new link to Google Map route:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zNaEaQkxnFRU.kX93osmoF1Cc
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:06:31 AM by jhl99 » Logged

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 03:41:55 PM
kozorac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »

Batty- I sent you PM with my contact info. Let me know when you want to ride. When temps are above 20 F, I ride. Also, reply with your email and I'll send the AML-X info including the GPX files. -- Chuck

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:09:22 PM
glenndandy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

I did a 5 day loop last summer out of Briery Branch into WVa, up thru Smokehole, Dolley Sods rd, Thomas, Blackwater Canyon Rail Trail (grooviest rail trail ever),Govenrment Rd,Kelley Mtn, WestFork Rail Trail, West Fork Greenbrier, Durbin,then pavement to Staunton. Happy to share experiences/things I would have done different. Going back to same area again this summer for 12-14 days and opening up the scope of what is available.  I'd love to get a preview of how you are connecting some of the areas you outlined.

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:49 PM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »

I did a 5 day loop last summer out of Briery Branch into WVa, up thru Smokehole, Dolley Sods rd, Thomas, Blackwater Canyon Rail Trail (grooviest rail trail ever),Govenrment Rd,Kelley Mtn, WestFork Rail Trail, West Fork Greenbrier, Durbin,then pavement to Staunton. Happy to share experiences/things I would have done different. Going back to same area again this summer for 12-14 days and opening up the scope of what is available.  I'd love to get a preview of how you are connecting some of the areas you outlined.

glenndandy - Sounds awesome.  I've ridden through most of MNF, but am excited to add the Virginia parts this summer.  I'm going to try to turn my paper maps into a digital file.  I think I can with Garmin Express.  I will post when complete.

I came up with a similar route that is not quite as ambitious as what is proposed. 

I've never ridden my route, it scares me.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=3147.0

edit 2/23/15 - fix link to thread

edit 3/1/2015  new link to Google Map route:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zNaEaQkxnFRU.kX93osmoF1Cc

jhl99 - I hear you.  I am afraid to find out the vertical ahead of time.  Luckily, I sorta like climbing...  You definitely know the terrain - Maybe you can fit some or all of the trip this summer.

Topic Name: West Virginia/Virginia Loop Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:53 PM
derailljammedinspokes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »

SHenandoah Mountain Tour memorial day weekend 3-4 days, would love to have company...hit me up 860 992-2441 Clint
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: