Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag on: December 31, 2014, 11:09:24 AM
davidtwilcox

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »

I'm about to sew my first frame bag and I still have a final design decision to make. I have the materials to make a basic single zip bag, double zip bag with horizontal divider, or a panel loading bag. My bike is an XL Pugsley, so the bag will be fairly deep (about 15"). That's why I like the double zip or panel load options, since I'll be able to more easily get at items near the bottom of the bag.

Anyone have experience with sewing or using a panel loading bag? Every tutorial I've seen is for a single zip or, rarely, a double zip bag, but I've not found anything for a panel load. I realize I'll need to sew in stops for the zippers. Anything I'm not thinking of that would make a panel loading bag more complicated? And are there any real advantages of a panel loading bag over a double zip bag?

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:13 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »

There are two reasons I personally would not go for a panel loader. First, water intrusion is almost a given. Second, what happens if the zipper begins to fail? Usually zipper failures aren't catastrophic, but I personally would aim to minimize risk. If you go panel loading, realize that you will need to last you're bike down to get stuff (ie, no grabbing something while riding) and I would get a very burly coil zipper at the very least.

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:37 PM
davidtwilcox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »

Thanks. I had considered the extra strain put on the vertical zipper with a panel loader, but hadn't even thought of the problems that would arise if that zipper failed completely. For simplicity, I'm going to go with a single zip option for my first bag. I'll see how that works and then make adjustments for future bags (because you know there won't be just one  Wink ).

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:36 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »

If your sewing skills are up to it, a dual zipper is not a bad idea. Personally, I pack cooking items, tools and tubes in the bottom of my frame bag, so I really don't need to access them during the day. Extra water and lunch/snack food rides near the top so I can consume as need.

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:20:06 PM
thechickencow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »

After 5 or so rides with my first bag, I'm happy I did 2 zippers and a divider, it is nice to have different places to put things.  I did a map style pocket on the non-drive side and while I think I will in the future I have not yet used it.

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:02 PM
davidtwilcox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »

I've started working on the bag and I am going with a double zipper and dividers (one horizontal and a vertical to divide the upper section). I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. All the research and reading on how to sew a frame bag doesn't matter as much people's experience actually using what they made.

Topic Name: Panel vs. single zip vs. double zip frame bag Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:42 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »

I just did a panel zip on this bag for my wife's bike. It's a small frame, so it's a small bag. I was concerned about how difficult it would be to access the biggest part of the bag with just the one straight zipper. I'm really happy with how it worked out. I used 2 pulls on the panel zipper, which I think will make it easier to open and close, but it would've worked with just one pull.

* image.jpg (70.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 597 times.)

* image.jpg (87.84 KB, 640x480 - viewed 600 times.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:45:46 AM by Inkerpok » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: