Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:17 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »

Is anyone following the Vapor Trail 125?  I have been watching the progress of the race on Trackleaders.  I want more information about what is happening in the race.  The VT 125 website has little to offer.  Anyone know of other places to find info on the progress of the race?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:47:59 PM by ScottM » Logged

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:46 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »

I'm watching but haven't found anything other than trackleaders.  The SPOT units just don't have good enough resolution and reliability for a short race so not everything on TL is making sense, but it sure beats nothing for the spectating public...it was looking like JK was out front for quite some time but spent 2+ hours on the crest trail and was passed by a few riders.  SS phenom Greg Martin looks to be leading the charge as of 10:45 AM.  Super rides so far by Scott, the Carneys.  Eszter & Chris are having a legendary ride too, hitting the top of Canyon Creek right at sunrise.  Wow!

Wonder what happened with Cameron?  Didn't start or opted to leave the SPOT behind?  He's a ringer, but not if he's a no-show Wink

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:06:42 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »

Hi Dave, Paula here.  Cameron started the race he can be found here:

http://vaportrail125.com/vaporResults.php

I'll bet he left the spot behind or is carrying it as dead weight without the realization that it is not working.  I have been awake most of the night watching Scott race.  I wish there was something more.  I think that some of the weirdness in reception is because the riders are/were going in stealth mode to gain a tactical advantage.  sad2

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:35:12 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »

So that's how you get to be a super moderator!  Now I know Wink

The field is a lot bigger than I realized, thanks for that link.  It's hard to imagine stealth mode being any sort of advantage in a no-stop keep the gas on ride.  They are all just giving it what they have!

Speaking of that - my previous guess at JK's race appears to be dead wrong.  His spot is so "spotty" it's hard to make sense of, especially on the Starvation loop where there is a point that is passed twice and that is the place his spot reported on the way *up* the starvation climb.  Bottom line, JK is off the front, at least among the SPOT users.  No idea where Cameron is but I bet he is right there too.  Great to see Jeff having a great ride here after the CTR heel blister debacle!

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:13 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »

All I know about the stealth thing is that 6 decided not to take spots.  I do not know what advantage stealth would give a person if the race is that speedy.  There has been quite a few occasions when spot has been used to chase someone down that was not visible while riding.  Also, it sure looks like JK is just sending out a point when he takes a break.  The spots are much more regular and less "spotty" than his. 

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:47 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »

It sure looks like Kerkove is on track to finish before 1PM.  That is about 1.5 hours faster than his ride in '08 and a helluva lot faster than this route has ever been ridden AFAIK.  Wow.  Impressed.

Question is, will it be good enough for the win?  Those 6 riders who declined the spots have added some drama and mystery Wink

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:49 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »

Well said!  I think the stealth mode is one of the things keeping me on the edge of my seat.  Of course, then again it could just be Scott.   notworthy  I really need to get scott to put one of those smileys with hearts on this forum.

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:51:37 AM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »

First two finishers!  It looks like it was a sprint to the finish!

Jeff Kerkove  12:26
Kevin Thomas12:29

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:13:03 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

Daaaaamn that's fast!  Kevin won in 2008.

Way to go Kerkove, that's a wicked fast time.  Redemption of sorts.

After his ride in CTR I figured he'd be the guy with the bullseye on his back.  Darn close race and everyone out there looks tightly grouped.

Scott just has a ripping descent the rolling, awesome fun of the Rainbow trail remaining.  Maybe with Carney the elder?

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:53 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »

I don't think he is right with Carney the time stamp on Scott puts him more than a mile ahead.  My guess is that he is trailing Jarral and Adam.  I think he was riding with Adam for part of the night.  He could also be riding with one of the unspotted (hahah) riders.  Although I would not be surprised if he had his game face on and was actually racing.  He has been a little more serious lately.  

Oh!  Oops!  I guess not Jarral he looks like he'll be the next spot finisher.  That is unless Tim and Greg are still in front of him.  Neither have gotten a point in quite a while.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:39:14 PM by hungry gnome » Logged

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:47:43 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »

All I know about the stealth thing is that 6 decided not to take spots.  I do not know what advantage stealth would give a person if the race is that speedy.  There has been quite a few occasions when spot has been used to chase someone down that was not visible while riding.  Also, it sure looks like JK is just sending out a point when he takes a break.  The spots are much more regular and less "spotty" than his. 

I think it highly unlikely that Kerkove took a break...

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
hungry gnome

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »

I did not think about this until after I posted that, but a spot user can get poor reception if the spot is put in the bottom of a pack.  

Topic Name: Vapor Trail 125 Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:49:28 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

Dang, I should have started a thread here and linked it on the tracker.  I thought about it, but the thought of 'it's not really bikepacking' stopped me.  It's still a good place to discuss it though.

I put together a race replay from the SPOT data.  Many of the front runners elected not to carry a tracker, so the field is not totally represented.  Per his blog, Jeff's SPOT was not positioned well, so he did not get many points.

I survived the Vapor and finished, but it wasn't pretty.  If I do this race again I will need to do more cold riding and figure out some different gear.  I spent a half hour (!) at Monarch aid (in full daylight!) pacing back and forth with a blanket, trying to warm back up.

There were some amazing moments out there, and I can rest well at night knowing events like this are still going on.  Thanks to all the Absolute Bikes crew, volunteers and racers!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: