Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing on: November 19, 2014, 06:22:22 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »

I have long intended to formalize some record keeping for the bikepacking 'triple crown' challenge, as first proposed and attempted by the good David Goldberg, esq.

To that end, I've added Kurt Sandiforth's current and blazing fast record to the Ultra Records page (total time = less than 32 days!!)

I would also like to record all triple crown challenge finishers, so I have set up a page just for the 3 x Crown:

http://www.bikepacking.net/triple-crown-of-bikepacking/

Beyond that, it occurred to me that the endeavor of completing all three routes, whether touring or racing, in a single calendar year or not, is something worthy of accolade, and something worth encouraging others to shoot for.

So I have re-formulated the general "triple crown of bikepacking" as one that is based simply on completing the routes.

The 'standards' for what is considered finishing each route are detailed on the web page and are based on the notes on maps 1 and 6 of ACA's GDMBR set.  Namely, you need to ride 90% of the mapped route, without using a motor vehicle.  I've interpreted this to mean 90% of the 'currently accepted bike route' for AZT and CT, since both of those must detour for Wilderness.  For all practical purposes, that's the equivalent race route.  Issues of self support, style, or speed are not considered.  It's a touring challenge, akin to the Triple Crown in long distance hiking.  Only this one is a lot shorter!

I've recorded all the triple crowners I can think of off the top of my head.  I guess there aren't that many yet!  Please let me know by posting here or on the comments section if you've done all three, or know of anyone not listed.

Otherwise, thoughts?

I hope to see lots of triple crown completions racking up on that page in the coming years!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:48:32 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »

Great approach Scott. I'm hoping you'll get to add my name to both of those lists in the coming years.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:53:37 PM by SlowRide » Logged

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:58:14 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »

I think it looks great! Very straight forward with the two different categories. I'm throwing my name into the hat this year for a shot at the Triple Crown Challenge! Probably going to go bankrupt, but whatever... I hope Mark C. goes for the "Double-Triple" Smiley

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:46 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »

Tanner I am thinking of the triple again so we can duel it out like 2 gunfighters in Old West times!!  But unfortunately the real world has thrown Leila and I a curve ball. The main bridge is out in my town, effectively killing my business until it is replaced. Originally it was planned for 4-6 weeks but EPA found contaminated groundwater near the creek, making the project at least 3 months (started Oct 19th). This is the main bridge over I-70, fueling restaurants that serve 1 million meals a year in a historic downtown district. Our sales are down almost half so far.

In 2014 I spent too much on the triple. I may have to Cjell Mone it this time all broke-guy style!

If I go for it I am calling it Triple-Double 2015 !!

Ice Cubes It Was A Good Day- "Get me on the court and I'm trouble. Last week fu**ed around and got a triple double"

Oh and Steamboat I see you found some Rocky quotes I must have got in your head icon_biggrin

Nice idea Scott. It should promote more attempts at both categories. My time was like 47 days and change for the challenge. I will get you the numbers. I have a lot of work to do to catch Kurt!

The more I look at this or the CDT the more this looks like my near future. The CDT cannot be done in under 60 days IMO. I think you and Eszter basically proved that. Unless a rider my speed hit it 21 hrs a day and even then? So with diminished returns and such, one really ends up touring the route by physical necessity. My guess is now 70 days for me, too slow IMO I cant take that much time off straight with business in flux. I am going to wait until I get faster at moving average speed and my business moves into the next phase.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:16 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »

Oh and Steamboat I see you found some Rocky quotes I must have got in your head icon_biggrin

No doubt about that Mark.. and in more ways than just Rocky quotes.  icon_biggrin

My aspirations, if all goes smoothly, are to complete the Triple Crown of Bikepacking this summer by doing the AZT750 and CTR to add to my TDR. Then 2016 try for the Triple Crown Challenge and do all three races in a summer as a veteran of all three. I'd love to try the Triple Crown Challenge this summer but after TDR last year I'm still paying off debts, I don't think my pocket book will be able to handle it again this year. Miracles do happen though, so we shall see.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:02 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »

I hear ya there...definitely an expensive endeavor

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:46 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »

Johnny the AZT/CTR deal is tough as well. I think I am the only one to do it outside of a triple like Kurt, Eric and Forest did. Its a noble effort I call the "singletrack double". Before Goldberg added the TD it was my concept of a series or crown. It still is just an exclusive a club as the triple crown challenge so good luck and I hope to see you pull it off.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:57 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

I hear ya there...definitely an expensive endeavor

I'll be watching your summer and cheering you on Tanner, can't wait to see you complete the Triple. Great riding with you and Tony briefly on TDR this year, you guys really knuckled down through New Mexico. I was impressed.

Johnny the AZT/CTR deal is tough as well. I think I am the only one to do it outside of a triple like Kurt, Eric and Forest did. Its a noble effort I call the "singletrack double". Before Goldberg added the TD it was my concept of a series or crown. It still is just an exclusive a club as the triple crown challenge so good luck and I hope to see you pull it off.

Thanks Mark. Hopefully I will have the strength to persevere. I know it's going to absolutely destroy me.

--Rocky Balboa

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:15 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »

Thanks man!

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:26:20 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

If anyone else is thinking 2/3 events go for it it has rarely been done outside the triple crown challenge finishers.

Two efforts I can remember that are hard to pull off:
Matt Lee GDR/CTR 2007. The first to ride 2/3. Considering there was no 3 yet, damn!
Goldberg AZT/TD 2012. Why did he add a huge tour after that and miss CTR? This guy can ride a bike a long time.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:24:35 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

Yep, Mark, the double of the singletrack events is a toughie, too.  I hesitated for a moment in continuing to declare this the triple crown when the divide is not quite the same character of the other two.  But it *is* a classic, the definitive dirt road touring route, and something every bikepacker should do, IMO.

For a true singletrack purist, I think we'll accept a CDT completion for triple crown, too.  Smiley  You might be right on a 60+ day finish, even at an aggressive pace.  It's an unexplored territory of bikepack racing, for sure, to go that long with singletrack, HAB and difficult conditions.  It's more comparable to FKT attempts on long distance trails (PCT/AT/CDT) by backpackers.

I thought of a couple more possible triple crowners: Aaron Denberg and Krefs.  I know both have finished the AZT and GDMBR, but not sure they've toured or raced the CT.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:18:47 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »

aaron and kurt did the ctr itt. i think mike prochaska did too. no record of mike on the ctr page, but I seem to remember he may have done it and I know he did azt/td.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:37:00 PM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »

Thanks for the name drop, Mark!  Hope you can still ship your goods without the bridge, for web orders.  Don't think I'll ever be able to ride long distance without Geronimo Cream as my chamois cream.  My wife digs the balm.  Used daily in our house.  Kids ask for Geronimo cream for their owies, too.  Now we're trying out some Karma soaps (I think that's what they're called).

While I've finished both TDR and AZTR 750 races, I'm a *couple* miles shy of the triple.  My 2012 CTR attempt was a DNF at Hwy50 (Southbound).  I'm not done trying, though.

Love the idea Scott, and thanks for putting it together.  I as a PCT thru-hiker as well, and it would be cool to be a triple crowner in both thru-hiking and bike-packing senses.  Hopefully that's in the cards for me.

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 06:02:16 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »

Thanks for the name drop, Mark!  Hope you can still ship your goods without the bridge, for web orders.  Don't think I'll ever be able to ride long distance without Geronimo Cream as my chamois cream.  My wife digs the balm.  Used daily in our house.  Kids ask for Geronimo cream for their owies, too.  Now we're trying out some Karma soaps (I think that's what they're called).

While I've finished both TDR and AZTR 750 races, I'm a *couple* miles shy of the triple.  My 2012 CTR attempt was a DNF at Hwy50 (Southbound).  I'm not done trying, though.

Love the idea Scott, and thanks for putting it together.  I as a PCT thru-hiker as well, and it would be cool to be a triple crowner in both thru-hiking and bike-packing senses.  Hopefully that's in the cards for me.

Funny thing, the Geronimo not only make great saddle cream, it works for chain lube.

Mark, congrats again on your successful triple crown run. Awesome,

Steve

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:04 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »

Very nice record page Scott!! 

Ha, If I could take the time off and yet keep my job I would go for Triple Crown "race", oh well maybe in a few more yrs once retirement arrives.............

Mark--if I recall beardog had a injury that kept him away from the CTR and his Triple...

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »

Well its winter solstice- first day to send in an LOI for the TD2015.
So far we have possibly three triple crown challenge contestants. Tanner, Robert Orr and myself.
Someone else has to be plotting and scheming as well.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

These three routes are all fine, worthy objectives.

However, any crown that lacks some version of the ITI is missing its most prized jewel.

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:32 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »

These three routes are all fine, worthy objectives.

However, any crown that lacks some version of the ITI is missing its most prized jewel.

There it is.  What took you so long?

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:22 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »

I don't come here very often these days.  Gravel grinding and TD-mania just don't blow up my skirt.

Either that or I was eating.  Again.

Topic Name: Triple Crown - touring and racing Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:19 AM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:19 AM »

OK...sounds like fun.
  Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: