Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions on: November 16, 2014, 03:24:33 PM
seabiscuit

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:24:33 PM »

Hey All,

I'd be interested in finding TD like trail conditions a bit... closer to home. I realize that there are many different conditions on a ride as long as the divide, but goat heads aside, where would I find conditions most similar to the TD in Western Washington state?

Best,
Biscuit

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:24 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »

Heya Seabiscuit. This might be a good start... The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. I've got no experience on the route, I just googled around a bit on your behalf, but it sounds like it'd be an acceptable facsimile(and a fun route to complete to boot!).

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:36 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Where at in western WA? North, middle, south?

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:52:24 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »

Where at in western WA? North, middle, south?
I have ridden a little in W Washington but have driven thru numerous times most of the major highways. If I had my TD bike/gear with me I would be happy simulating a TD type training ride just about anywhere in w WA.  Loaded bike, long time/distances, small towns, back roads (mostly gravel or dirt) and you are set for a TDR simulation/training ride. Luck........

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:32 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »

Hey All,

I'd be interested in finding TD like trail conditions a bit... closer to home. I realize that there are many different conditions on a ride as long as the divide, but goat heads aside, where would I find conditions most similar to the TD in Western Washington state?

Best,
Biscuit

Go for a looong ride and hit the Eastside of Washington.  Smack dab in the geographic center is awesome TD-like conditions.  My wife and I live, train here.  She finished 2014, I injured my way out of it.  The riding around Leavenworth and Cashmere is perfect for simulating the gravel grind torture of the TD.  The variable weather conditions here are also quite similar to the range on the TD.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »

I spent quite a bit of time training for TD in Western WA a few years ago.  Logged many miles on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, Middle Fork out-and-backs, Iron Horse Trail to Eastern WA, old Steven's Pass Hwy, Rainy Pass off Hwy 2 drop-in to backside of Lake Wenatchee with many miles and small country stores back in there,  ... truly endless forest service road routes either side of Cascades, out on the peninsula, Yakima and Hwy 12 corridor has plenty of good TD-esque options, old Blewett climb from either side, or better-yet an old Blewett yo-yo, or even better yet ... never mind, you'll figure it out.  Plenty of TD-like bliss to be found.

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:33:02 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »

Here, try this...take your trainer, put it in the shower, put it all the way cold. Then sit on your bike and pedal, shiver and starve for a few weeks. Smiley

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:21:06 PM
falkenjaeger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »

Right. But don't forget to bring an electric heater in the shower to also simulate heat, thunderstorms and lightning 😉

Arriva Mexico!

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:21 PM
NatHC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

Start in Capitol Forest and ride the gravel roads as far as you want! Keep going southwest into the lower Chehalis state forest, then keep going west to the Pacific if you want. It's pretty easy to string together 100+ miles of 85% gravel and 10k+ climbing. Good practice, if you ask me! I rode the divide last summer, and did most of my training in those hills. There's some fun singletrack in Cap forest too, but if you're racing the divide you know there won't be much of that...

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Capitol-State-Forest-Map

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:52:42 PM
HappyWanderer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

If you look on google earth and maybe buy a local forest service map you can find miles and miles of logging roads.  Bring a water filter and lots of snacks and head out the door.

Topic Name: Where to find TD Like trail conditions Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:02 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »

Pack your bike with everything you think you will want then ride for a month.... Anywhere. Then relook at your gear drop some stuff, ride some more. Repeat in snow, rain, sun, and any other weather you get out there on the left coast! Start visualising success and your bike above your head in triumph in A. Wells...... Good luck! I usually left right from my house just so I could have more riding time.

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: