Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: SPOT Problems on: November 16, 2014, 03:10:29 AM
johnpierce

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:10:29 AM »

Has anyone had problems with their SPOT II stop working? I rode Kokopelli trail this weekend and my spot just stopped working for no reason.  New batteries were installed so I know that wasn't the problem. It didn't take any hard falls when it stopped working.  I keep it facing up and go by the instructions.  This is the second time I have had to replace it and need to figure out if anyone else has had the same issues.  Wont send out a GPS signal any longer 

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:52:24 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »

Mine quit. called spot. Out of warranty. Bought another.

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:35:22 PM
HOser

Too busy looking good

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

I have personally seen two Gen 2 Spots fail. One was mine, one was a friend's. The symptoms were a persistent red GPS light and no upload of tracking data. This occurred  despite not having been mishandled, fresh batteries, and a clear view of the sky. In both cases, the Spots came from REI and they were great about exchanging.

Also in both cases the devices were fairly new. They worked for a few rides and then failed. My current Spot (also Gen 2) has been working fine for almost two years. My theory is there's a flaw with Gen 2 Spots (perhaps specific to a manufacture period) that can cause them to fail early in their life, but if they survive a decent burn in period, they should be OK.

However, is sucks to not have 99.9% confidence in a device that keeps family from worrying or that could be vital to saving your life. Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:21 PM
ECEGatorTuro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

This is why I never trust my SPOT for life saving. It's notorious for not sending signals out and generally is has very low transmission power (in the mW range!!). In addition to the SPOT, I carry a PLB that I absolutely depend on for rescue. It works worldwide on the SARSAT constellation and there is no subscription fee. PLBs also have to follow a very specific and stringent set of government guidelines to be sold as a PLB. Personally I use the ResQLink PLB.

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:15:45 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

There is one run of gen2 units (identifiable by serial #) that has a fairly high (eventual) failure rate, and it's exactly as you describe.  Almost always occurs right after a battery change.  It's not fixable, but if you contact SPOT, describe the failure and say it's one of the 'bad' serials, they should replace with a good one.

Our gen2 units outside that range have been very reliable.  Luckily our gen3 units have been good so far, too, despite lots of abuse.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:35 AM
Sean Allan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »

I've had 3 die on me over the past few years, dead GPS on all, so just a red GPS signal light. SPOT warrantied the first two and the last one died on my recent trip across AZ. A friend bought and sent one to me on the trail since everyone was freaked out with no check-ins, so I paid for a Gen 3 which seems to be a much better unit, lets hope they hold up.
 They know there's a problem, and it's frustrating to have to rely on something that may be faulty, so maybe call them to see what they can do for you, if anything. I think the only piece of electronics that has lasted for me is my Garmin 60csx, can't kill that thing, unlike nearly every other electronic gadget I've bought over the years.

Topic Name: SPOT Problems Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:51:49 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »

Wow, you must have kept getting ones from that run.  They should have done a recall, with the failure rate being that high...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: