Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide on: October 25, 2014, 05:15:03 AM
beatnikbarber

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:15:03 AM »

I am seriously on the fence between bike touring and bike-packing.  I have met someone who wants to do the GDBMR, and I find myself more drawn towards pulling a Bob Yak, rather than packing everything on my bike.  Don't know why, I just feel like I'd prefer that method. 

Also, as an added bonus, if i buy the Bob Yak, i can alternately attach it to my road bike and mountain bike and take practice trips before i make any big commitments for next summer. Has anyone ridden in a mixed group?  Did the trailer guy curse his decision?  Or vice versa?

any input would be appreciated.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:23:11 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »

I've only used a trailer once, and it was awful. It make my bike feel like a semi-trailer, and riding up soft gravel inclines was stupidly hard. Even turning the whole rig around was a PITA. One reason I ride my bike is to feel liberated and agile--and the trailer made me feel clumsy, heavy, and awkward.

But lots of people use them, so they must work. Maybe rent one for a couple of days to see if you like it?

"Done"

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:34:29 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

Back in 04 I started the AZT with racks and panniers but when the rear rack broke I was able to get a Bob shipped into Flagstaff.

One thing that was really nice about the trailer was how easy it is to unpack and repack in camp. The capacity is basically unlimited as there's no way you would want to pull it at full capacity.

For a long tour that might include layovers with side rides a trailer could be dropped and your bike ready to ride in seconds.

For truly technical trail no it would not be better to have a trailer but on easy trail and roads they pull fine.

Also I have used mine a bunch for trail work hauling water or tools.  

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:56 PM
MPS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »

For the non-americans here, could somebody please explain what the GDBMR, PITA or AZT is?

A friend of mine used a Bob Yak for a few weeks in Europe, he did not like it much. I myself use 2 pannier bags or frame bags, I never had any issues with them. I never needed the extra space that a trailer might offer, regardless of where or how long the tour was.

www.unlocked-achievements.com - Cycling to every country in the world

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:06 PM
beatnikbarber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

Great divide mountain bike route, pain in the a$$, Arizona trail?

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
MPS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

Ah, that does make a lot more sense. I googled it and got quite a few german acronyms from it, none of which fit in the slightest. So it's a bike route that follows the Continental Divide Trail, interesting. Smiley

I read a bit up on it, lots of elevation gain, passes and mostly on gravel... I'd certainly take bags on the bike over the trailer in that case.

www.unlocked-achievements.com - Cycling to every country in the world

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:31:30 PM
stever121051

With my wife LuAnne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »

Hey bOYS AND GIRLS

I have been over this whole thing!!!!

I have read about everyone riding BOB trailers, panniers,  Polish trailers.   ( and certainly they all work).

But the one thing that is staring you in the face is this!! when you are out there mixing it up with the elements

ask yourself this!!!!!!!! do you really want to carry all that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got to Man Up!!!

Go Light Go long! with Revelate or J Paks etc   (frameless system).

I am planning on riding the Great  Divide  next summer and that is my plan..

Peace!!

Steve
Ride hard ride strong!!
http://www.stevesgreatdivideride.org

Steve Reynolds
Go Light go Long
http://www.stevesgreatdivideride.org

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:52 PM
robertshinaw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »

I rode the GDMBR in summer 2014.

From all the people all saw riding trailers they seemed to be less mobile than those with panniers/frame bags.

I would suggest for the dirt roads of the divide to use a frame bag, seat bag, handlebar bag combo. You want to stay light and compact to maximize handling.

Also by riding with a trailer you will double your possibility of flats and occur more maintenance issues. The goat heads of New Mexico would not be fun  on a trailer.

Stay light, stay compact, run tubeless, eat A LOT of food, and you'll have a great time.

* 10409191_10154323456610517_2595008496954780249_n.jpg (218.9 KB, 960x720 - viewed 4582 times.)

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 07:34:32 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »

That seems to be the modern reality, rackless and light weight just makes everything better.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:10 PM
SkinnyTraffic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »

I pulled a borrowed BoB for my first ever road tour (10 days and packed way too much crap) and hated the trailer. Lurching/chugging up hills, scary speed wobbles on descents, frame torquing issues when pedaling out of the saddle. And the thing all by itself is awfully heavy! I promptly got panniers for all subsequent road tours.

After that experience I'd never even consider a trailer for any off-road riding... unless it was to tow a pony keg to a campsite party or something.  sign13

The buddy who loaned me his BoB didn't want it back (no use for it) so I still have it. They are incredibly handy for hauling big/heavy stuff around so you don't have to burn petroleum. I'm not dissing BoBs; I think they are a fantastic design, durable and work great for utility purposes. Just not for a long tour.

"Many a false step is made by standing still." -my fortune cookie

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:25 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:25 PM »

trailer, about 12 pounds
2 racks and 4 panniers, about 10 pounds
backpack and frame bag, about 3 pounds

Panniers are the worst in a head wind, and most convenient for finding your stuff.
Backpack is the lightest and most mobile.  It might cause additional injury in a crash. 
Sea anchor trailer is low and out of the wind, and heavy.

Warm weather gear fits in a backpack.
Below freezing gear takes up more space.
10 days worth of food takes up a lot more space than 3 days of food.
You have to push your bike to the top of the mountain if it is over loaded.
You have to go back to town if you don't have enough food

no correct answer exists

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:51:12 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:32:50 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:32:50 AM »

I've been working over the same thoughts in my head about trailers, panniers, frame and seat bags, etc... I am going to ride the top 1/4 of the TD route next June. At first I was sure that a trailer in some form would be the way to go. But in the end I figure that a trailer would add another variable to the picture.

In the end though, I've decided to go with frame, seat and handlebar bags. Those will force me to keep my gear weight to a minimum. Water storage and a light backpack are the next big questions to be worked through.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:36 AM
robertshinaw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

Specifically for the GDMBR 4 days of food is the max I was forced to carry at a 60 mile per day average.

For water a large bladder is best. This method is very packable as the bladder changes size depending on water amount.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:58 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »

We faced this same question when equipping our tandem. I initially mistakenly thought gear for two would warrant a trailer, but I'm glad we loaded up the bike. We used panniers and frame bags, plus a small stoker pack.

We didn't see many pulling trailers. One family of three bikes had one, said he wouldn't use one again. Another guy said his felt squirrelly going downhill. I think the popularity of trailers on the divide is waning for numerous reasons, including the availability of specialized and custom bike bags and racks.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 04:57:07 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

We used our IBEX with our tandem a few years ago for a long family tour - pet monkey on her weeride seat up front, us on the tandem and the Ibex dragged outback. Packing was so simple and with the load low, the bike handled very well. But loooong, OMFG it was a pain to put on the train!

I've also used the Ibex behind my dually, lots of flex when out of the saddle, but oh so cool to cache the trailer and flow some singletrail on a bare bike for a few hours.

Best thing you could do if hire/borrow one and try it for yourself. They have their applications, but only your own experience will tell you where and when they suit the trip!

I still use mine a lot - and not just for tours - great for hauling firewood, bulky packages from the post office (we all know what they are!) and bulky bike parts to and from work.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 05:03:58 PM
Jblodgett

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »

My wife and I rode tne GDMR in '98.  In those days your only choices were panniers or a trailer (or both).  I rode the first half with panniers.  My wheels self destructed at about the CO border.  I used a BOB and front panniers from there to the Mexican border and had no more wheel trouble.  My wife continued with panniers and her wheels didn't fail until New Mexico.

I intend to ride the route again in a couple oy years,  i am still leaning towards using a trailer because 1) I carry lots of stuff, and 2) I want to be able to carry lots of water.  And, just to go further against current trends I think I will do it on a full suspension bike.  I am looking at a Toute Terrain Mule which will work better than a BOB with a full suspension bike (I hope).

Think I am crazy?  Maybe.  I'll probably be the slowest rider on the trail.  When you guys run out of food and water in the arroyo country of NM maybe I'll be able to help.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:16 AM
Shindig

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »

I haul a Bob on my fatbike. I also use panniers. The Bob is great for short journeys that don't involve climbing over obstacles (fences, fallen trees, ditches etc). If  I ever do the divide, it will be with my Rogue Panda panniers. BOb will be staying at home as it adds 6kg before even adding any cargo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 03:34:22 PM
bong crosby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »

I ran into this dude on the GDMBR with his Tout Terrain Mule.  It looked like a solid product and better than a Bob Trailer. 

As to the guy asking if you want to " when you are out there mixing it up with the elements ask yourself this!!!!!!!! do you really want to carry all that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

His exclamation marks, not mine.  I've camped with plenty of minimalist bikers who look at me in fully dressed warmth like we're members of the Donner Party.

* IMG_1205-1.jpg (656.5 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 5059 times.)

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 10:00:18 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »

I have used trailers in the past from two wheeled ones to one wheeled ones.
Bottom line is that you sure can carry a lot with them but I don't think they are ideal for off road ventures. Great for shopping and minimizing car trips or perhaps a leisurely cross country trip on the roads. 

I think this group prefers rackless luggage and there are good reasons for it but there are some downsides to it as well. Seatbags and front rolls sit up high and the seatbag often rubs rear tires, interferes with mounting and dismounting and does wag. The front roll can interfere with your cables. I find seatbags a PITA to load and unload. Also you are limited on what you can pack since you have limited capacity. Like one guy said, many lightweight bikepackers look and smell like the Donner party when the weather turns to shit! To gain capacity a lot of rackless people use backpacks which I hate and puts the weight up even further.

Frame bags are real cool since they allow you to put the weight low and centered and you can carry a 100 ounce bladder in even small frame bags.

I have finally settled on a frame bag, front roll, tapeat bags and a rear rack. A rear rack is not that heavy and if you are doing minimalist packing then you can just strap a dry bag on top of it, which rides lower than a seat bag, is more stable and if I need more capacity I can hook on one or two panniers. This setup allows me to ride without a backpack. I also can run a dropper post with my setup or a thudbuster.

There is no one right answer but you have to find out what works for you. Some people can sleep in a trashbag, don't care about changing clothes or cooking and really want to haul nothing but ass! Others want more gear and clothing, want to cook out, sleep in comfort and smell the flowers.

Topic Name: trailer vs paniers for the Great Divide Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:56 PM
Ericcs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

We rode about 300 miles of the Divide in Colorado. I pulled a BOB Ibex behind my full suspension bike. My son rode hard tail 29er with rear panniers and Revelate sweet roll. Wife had similar luggage on full suspension bike. Friend rode Pugsley fat bike with panniers, frame bag, and sweet roll. So we were trying many combinations of bikes and gear.
My conclusions:
The full suspension and trailer literally bob going up hills and the rig saps a lot of energy. The trailer lurches going over obstructions on up hills, making the climbing even harder. Down hills were fine and the rig was stable, something I had worried about. You can pack a lot of gear and the loading and unloading in camp are easy.  However, access to items during the day are kind of a pain because of all the closure mechanism and bungies (I was using the BOB dry bag.)
My sons set up was the lightest and probably fastest. We did load him up with some heavy items to try to slow him down. The panniers and sweet roll provided some balance to the load. He said the hard tail was a bit jarring at times.
My wife's full suspension and pannier/sweet roll combo gave probably the smoothest ride. Load capacity was good and this seems like it may be a good balance of overall weight and comfort.
Our friend on the fat bike is a strong rider and was carrying one of the heavier loads. He had 3.8 inch tires and ran about 20-25 psi. This set up worked well for him and was definitely the most stable on gravel descents and stream crossings. He has since completed a 400 mile endurance ride with this same bike but with all Revelate bags and 3 inch tires. He was quite happy with that setup and it was surprisingly light.
The destruction of wheels on fully loaded bikes on longer rides, as was mentioned by a previous poster, definitely is a concern.  Those wheels, especially the rear, are loaded. If you travel heavy a trailer might be for you.
What conclusions did I draw? No trailer for me. The trailer and dry bag weigh about 16 lbs. empty. It's another wheel generating rolling resistance. My joking conclusion was that it was like towing a fat kid on a skateboard behind you.
My next section of the Divide I'm planning to ride on a fat bike with 3 inch tires and possibly a suspension fork. Luggage will likely be panniers, frame bag, and sweet roll. This should distribute the weight and keep it low. If I were younger, I might go more minimalist, but at my age I want a little more comfort in camp.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: