Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? on: October 18, 2014, 01:39:40 PM
Skylab3368

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

I am grateful to have found such a rich environment of knowledge on winter bikepacking! Helps a lot with my preparation for my first winter race ever, the Rovaniemi 150.
Even though I have found a lot of answers yet, there still is one uncertainty on what to wear and that is the helmet. Usually I never leave home without my helmet when riding my bikes. But for winter biking and especially during long hours, I expect to need a combination of both a warm head as well as some form of headlight. Even though I can think of ways to fit a warm hat/balaclava etc underneath a helmet and fit some form of light on top of it, I am seriously considering the possibility of riding without a helmet. Basically because of the low speeds in combination with more possibilities for changing my head gear based on changing circumstances. What do you people think? Do I make a thinking error here? Is there definitely a need for helmets even on low speeds? Looking forward to your valued insights!
One final remark: my apologies for any grammatical errors, I am Dutch Wink

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:16:42 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »

I'm a believer in helmets.  If you ride bikes enough, eventually you're going to hit the ground.  I have had my fair share of hitting the ground over the many years I've been riding.  And the crashes aren't always when you would expect, often they are at relatively benign times when you would think you're safe.  I don't preach to others about using a helmet, but I choose to wear one.    
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:46:31 PM by JRA » Logged

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:24 AM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »

I seldom ride with a helmet other than when required by rules (racing). I've hit the ground a plenty, ten plus collar bones broken. I did manage to bang a tree with my head a few months ago and that was the first time in 10 years that I thought a helmet would have come handy. I make no recommendations & feel everyone of age should use their own poor judgment.
PS I don't wear shoulder pads either, but I could make a case for them.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:02 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »

For me - I don't wear a helmet on our beach rides, too hot and I replace the helmet with a large brim hat to keep the sun off - more at risk of skin cancers in Australia on the beach than of helmet issues!

Also won't be wearing a helmet for Iditarod, easier for layering and lighting.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:28 AM
flambert33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:28 AM »

I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time when I'm riding my bike.  For this reason, I wore one when I race the Arrowhead 2012.  BUT I did find that it interfered with my head gear options (hood, balaclava, ski goggles...) .  For this reason, I choose not wear one when I raced the Iditarod Trail Invitational in 2014.  I was happy with my choice.

It's a judgement call, as there is no way to completely eliminate the risk of hitting your head.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:58:36 AM by flambert33 » Logged

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:22 AM
Skylab3368

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »

Thanks a lot for your reactions. I think I will go for the no helmet option in Rovaniemi only. The rest of my cycling includes my helmet already and won't change :-).

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:51:28 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »

I generally where a ski helmet in winter. You could attach a mount for the head lamp to the helmt or just use a handlebar mount. Ski helmets are great, warm, but breath reasonably.

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:36:44 AM
JoePavlik

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »

Wear a helmet on trails incase you misjudge a turn or a root. I dont generally wear a helmet on dirt roads.

Topic Name: Helmet: yes or no? Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:56:31 PM
ridebikeme

Chase Cyclery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »

I always wear a helmet. Last year, I fell on my fatbike on some ice... it was that time of year where you couldn't get away from the ice. Needless to say, a broken helmet and concussion was a result of that fall... thank goodness for the helmet! Once winter hits, I wear my snowboard helmet... still plenty of protection and a lot of warmer!!

where the wheels are always moving...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: