Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZT 350 ITT in early May an option? on: October 08, 2014, 02:01:16 PM
ifrpilot

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Hello,

Does anybody think a go at the AZT 350 ITT in early May is an option?

Will it be too hot?  I've looked at the temperatures of the last 5 years and it seems to be a scorcher.  Has anybody attempted this or know anybody who has? 

Water availability? Etc...any info on the the timeframe and southern Arizona riding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the input Gents

Rich

Topic Name: AZT 350 ITT in early May an option? Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

I don't live in the area so I may not be the best person to ask, but usually by early April its hitting low to mid 90's - At least the past two years I did it.

Last year was a bit on the cooler side, I even felt a bit of rain heading up to to Mt. lemmon. I also ended up putting on all the clothes I had for the climb to the top. I think it was 2011 when it snowed up on Lemmon so its hard to say.

Usually if you carry enough water, you can fill up at spigots along the way, the only exception is after Oracle but the Freeman cache is usually stocked (be sure of this beforehand).

Scott Morris, Max Morris, and John Schilling would have the best advice for you.

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: AZT 350 ITT in early May an option? Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:03:19 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

I don't know about the race course but I do know that the dirt road route has been done, Border to Flag, that time of year. I think it was 07 that I dropped a couple at the border bikes with racks and light panniers I think they were taking short cuts all over the course. Two weeks of riding Mexico to Flag then they pulled the plug not having the time to finish. Still sounded like they enjoyed it.

Since there's not a set course for a 350 you could study the course and the dirt road options and pick up trail when it makes sense and take the shorter faster road options when that makes sense. That time of year could be good farther north maybe just start in Phx and be aware of snakes.

Topic Name: AZT 350 ITT in early May an option? Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:05:57 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

It's been attempted a few times, but none have been all that successful, such as the guys Tim is referring to above.

Having said that, if you have a little flexibility in when you can start, I think it's usually possible to snipe a good window in early May.  If you're stuck on a particular weekend, though, the chance of hitting a good window is pretty low.

The current 750 record was set starting in May.  Happened to be a cool spell for most of the time spent on the 300, including some wind/rain up on Lemmon.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZT 350 ITT in early May an option? Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:53 PM
ifrpilot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies.  I ll take a closer look and see if it's attainable by me.  Take care and safe travels!

Rich
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: