Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:40 AM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »

I want to stick a Leno mesh pocket on the saddlebag I'm making. What is the typical binding used for such pockets? I plan to make the pocket pleated, for more storage. I'd like to have a stretchy binding, but I don't want something that will wear out.

Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:30:34 AM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »

Maybe a drawcord is the answer.

Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:54:24 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »

If you don't want it to wear out, then drawcord would be the answer.  Anything stretchy will have a limited life.

What I did for a pleated leno mesh pocket once is made an elastic band by folding lycra fabric several times (because I had it on hand).  But what I came up with I wouldn't really want to use on a bike bag, it was a little too loose for that.  This makes me think pretty much anything you would do would be too loose, other than a drawcord.

Another option is lycra mesh, which would make the whole pocket stretchy.  You'd want to pre-stretch the top, or it will become loose pretty rapidly.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:17 PM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »

Thanks, Smo. What would you recommend to form the casing for the drawcord?

Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:39 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

I would say either 500d cordura or packcloth.  They are both reasonably tough but supple.  You could do it just by folding over the leno mesh itself and sewing, but it'll be easier to tighten the drawcord if you use something less stiff.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Leno mesh pocket-- what to bind it with? Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:54:59 AM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

Having now received the Leno mesh, I realize it's the wrong fabric for a pleated mesh pocket gathered at the top edge. It's stiff. It would work well for a flat mesh pocket with a zipper, but it's bad for a pocket with pleats. I had imagined a different fabric. Does anyone know what the fabric is that Revelate uses for the mesh pockets on the feed bags? That's the stuff I want.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: