Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: down quilt questions on: September 17, 2014, 11:15:29 AM
brankulo

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »

planing my next project to be a down quilt. i have done tons of research and most of the process is quite clear for me, there is one thing that is not really addressed anywhere and it doesnt let me sleep. so lets say i make 2" tall baffles. i am not sure how to finish the edges of the quilt? if i sew it through, i will squish the baffles at the edges, not sure how big of a deal this is. or is there other way to keep the baffles 2" even around the edges?
another thing, how do you sew edges in terms of finishing, since quilt cant be turned inside out at the end all seems around edges are visible i assume?
do you just fold both outer and inside shell fabric edge inside and sew together?

Topic Name: down quilt questions Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:02 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »

With my experience with my MYOG quilt (climashield, not down), the insulation at the edge of the quilt isn't a big deal, because I usually tuck that part under me when using the quilt anyway.

For the edges I just tucked them in and sewed together.  I wasn't super concerned about the appearance, because it was just a personal project for me, not for a customer.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: down quilt questions Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

..... if i sew it through, i will squish the baffles at the edges, not sure how big of a deal this is. or is there other way to keep the baffles 2" even around the edges?

......another thing, how do you sew edges in terms of finishing, since quilt cant be turned inside out at the end all seems around edges are visible i assume?
do you just fold both outer and inside shell fabric edge inside and sew together?

I've also only made a synthetic quilt so the process is a bit different as you mention you can't simply turn it inside out.  In looking at my nunatak quilt though it looks as if the raw edges are folded in and then the top and liner sewn together really close to the edge. The BPL forums are always helpful if you're willing to dig a bit. This article might be worth the purchase to save you a bit of hassle.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/MYOG_down_quilt_bag.html

Here's one from hammock forums too...
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?4362-Down-TOP-quilt-directions-and-pics

I don't think you'll notice if you simply tuck the raw edges and sew it together.
Good luck! post pics!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: down quilt questions Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:29 AM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »

As others have said, just tuck the edges in and sew it together.   The quilt shown below was made from 1.1oz nylon, 900 fill down, and noseeum netting.  The netting was sewn edge to edge on both the top and bottom fabric.   It's over 4 years old and has seen heavy use.  The fabric hasn't frayed and the down hasn't migrated between baffles.

* quilt1.jpg (77.97 KB, 800x600 - viewed 386 times.)

* quilt edge 002.JPG (56.99 KB, 800x600 - viewed 390 times.)

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: