Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Alternative to PhD Minimus vest on: September 02, 2014, 05:25:06 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:25:06 AM »

Hey all, I'm trying to go on the Pacific Coast in winter, but I understand it's going to be really wet, so I don't want to choose down. Does anyone know of a lightweight vest that is similarly insulative that's synthetic?

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Alternative to PhD Minimus vest Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:22:49 PM
cccniuk

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »

Fit is as important as anything.i use a columbia shimmer me jacket.excellent in the Scottish wet winters.light and warm. And cheap!

Topic Name: Alternative to PhD Minimus vest Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:11:41 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:11:41 AM »

How far north are you going/riding?
What month?
Is the vest your only insulation?

If I were starting from home, Vancouver and riding south through Washington, Oregon and into Cali in say November I'd be taking more than a synthetic vest at least for the northern states as it can get really wet for a real long time and you'll be freezing ass at the end of the day, especially with the wind near the water. But that's a different thread...

After many years of faithful use I just recently replaced my Montbell thermawrap parka. They make a vest version too, although it uses a lighter weight fill (50g/m2 vs 80g/m2).
Use this if it helps:  http://www.convertunits.com/from/ounces+per+(square+yard)/to/grams+per+(square+meter)

I highly doubt the thermawrap vest anywhere near as warm as the phD. I think it'll be hard to find a 'thick' enough synthetic vest that'll match similar warmth of a down vest from any commercially available options.

Your best bet may be one of these kits using primaloft sport 3.0 (100g/m2)
http://thru-hiker.com/kits/minima_kit.php
If you really wanted to jack the warmth build one with Apex 5.0 or primaloft 6.0. That would be a toaster!

@adamalphabet
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: