Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Reflectix vest for cold rainy rides on: August 23, 2014, 05:36:16 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »

I added this under the TD ultra-racing thread but really it belongs here:

==================================================================================================

Quote from: ABfolder on August 17, 2014, 01:47:05 PM
Another thought: If you happen across any small sections of Reflectix http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations kicking around construction sites, you might ponder the possibilities of recycling that into a duct-taped-together/velcroed vest instead of down or even Primaloft. Will you sweat under that Reflectix vest? You betcha...but it'll still insulate you because it's foil-covered bubble wrap -- and extremely light (although bulky). Under the June moon of the Blackfoot people "When Long Rains Come", you'll likely be soaked to the skin even using exterior protection like Gore-tex, Gore-tex knockoffs or plastic garbage bags so it certainly wouldn't hurt to try out. Wool layers underneath will also get soaked. Alternatively, you could cut vest-size sections of the bubble wrap and stick them under a gilet for a fast fix. I bought a scrap section of the stuff from a local hardware store and plan on fiddling with it this fall.

==================================================================================================

Since the temps have already dropped here into the 10C-ish zone (50ish F), I thought I'd give the Reflectix vest a shot in the rain to see how it worked out. I tried it yesterday at about 10 to 12 degrees C in drizzling/drenching rain and it was near perfect. Essentially, the lightweight crap that passes for "breathable" rain jackets these days stops the drizzling moisture outside -- mostly -- but also prevents your body sweat from escaping -- mostly -- which means that you end up in a cold funk inside your jacket after several hours. Cold for an extended time period = Hypothermia (especially in the 40s and low 50s F).

I gave the shiny foil vest a 50+ mile test run on a loaded bike (about 5 1/2 hrs) and it worked as planned: the Reflectix stuff is waterproof and reflects body heat back to you so your rain jacket basically turns into a warm sauna. Note the word warm -- your underlayer of wool or synthetic might be damp (and I recommend only using one layer underneath) but it stays at a nice temperature instead of turning into a cold slop. The vest goes under the rain jacket so you don't stand out as the Tin Man. Since the material is bendable and foldable it gives with your body in use. But it's also stiff enough to hold the top of the jacket off your shoulders somewhat so air can flow around a bit. I used a 150 wt Merino underlayer with the bubble-foil vest over top of that and then the jacket (a Patagonia Torrentshell). I had the jacket hood under my helmet which allowed some air to get scooped in from the front due to motion while riding. The pit zips were also open slightly. I teamed the top stuff with a rain pant which trapped sweat inside and soaked my lower clothing -- but leg movement warmed me up sufficiently there.

The nice thing with the Reflectix is that if you're almost motionless -- say sitting at a keyboard typing -- you don't sweat profusely and the vest works with not much on the negative side.  Since it's also windproof, it can be used in camp all on its own. If the front zipper on your jacket gives suddenly, the front foil barrier acts to stop the wind. Also, after a day on a hard saddle, you can sit on the folded vest and it feels like lounging on a comfy sofa. Unfolded completely and extended, it could be used as a sleeping bag underpad or sleeping bag liner. Weight = 5.5oz for my size. That's not a bad tradeoff for some major protection against hypothermia. The vest could be rolled up and strapped to the bike front (but would be blinding in the sun up top) or tied down to a seatbag or rear rack bag. I stick mine under a cargo net that I have over an Arkel Tailrider.

On a good day without rain, you wouldn't use it while riding until you stopped and wanted to park your saddle sore rearend on something warm, reflective and comfortable. On a cold/cool rainy day? Slip it on and enter your own personal sauna!

I'll try to get some pics up in the Make Your Own Gear section in case anyone is interested in trying one out. In Canada, RONA sells the stuff by the metre for small amounts. I got some scrap someone had cut for about 4 bucks. I cut a head section out and folded the material over to create a front and back. The sides are open and I fasten them together (with a bit of space for air flow) with self-adhesive velcro strips (two on each side, top and near bottom). I get into it by opening one side, sliding an arm in while sticking my head through the top. Easy! I took care of my rained-on arms with the recycled "sock" arm warmers mentioned above. They soaked up the perspiration/condensation and kept my arms warm the entire time. At the end of the day, they were wet through but I never noticed any cold. The vest, however, NEVER absorbs water so it stays the same weight-wise.

Try one on, you might like it! And it could save your hypothermic carcass on a very long ride in a cold rain.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:41:12 PM by ABfolder » Logged

Topic Name: Reflectix vest for cold rainy rides Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:59:05 PM
drwelby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »

Reflectix is a neat material but the hammock guys didn't seem too excited by after some experimentation and investigation. But I like the idea of a vest you can sit on.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?45439-Interesting-Article-on-Reflectix

Topic Name: Reflectix vest for cold rainy rides Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:22:11 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »

Well, there's one way to find out if it works for you: Try it!

As for the seat cushion use, I reckon the vast majority will prefer the vest over a wet/cold rock or soaked picnic table. Comfy!

I think the hammock guys got too hung up (pun intended) on the R value. It's really the radiant heat bounce back that works for cycling in cold rainy conditions.

Any leftover material can be made into cozies: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/MugMods/ .

* Reflectix Vest resized.jpg (201.42 KB, 845x938 - viewed 948 times.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:55:53 PM by ABfolder » Logged

Topic Name: Reflectix vest for cold rainy rides Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:42 PM
drwelby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »

The hammock guys also seem to be pretty down on the value of radiant barriers. Check that link.

There's actually a big piece of it on one of my rides. It blew away from a construction site and is sitting in a ditch. It's too big to bundle up and carry home but next time I'll take a knife to cut a smaller piece. Like I said earlier, it is an interesting material and would be fun to mess around with.

Topic Name: Reflectix vest for cold rainy rides Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:23:11 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »

I'm not much worried about what the hammock guys think: Reflectix cozies work like a dang (see link) and the vest is nothing more than a human cozy. The proof is in the pudding. I tried it and it works! YMMV. Keep in mind that there is an air space between the vest and your body and that increases the R value (the hammock guys are lying on top of the stuff so the R value is minimal).

I'd carry scissors instead of that knife and whip up a vest right on the spot. It takes mere minutes to do the cutting and you could slip the result under a jacket and ride home where the finishing touches could be made.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:37:10 PM by ABfolder » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: