Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Reclaimed, Recycled, Reused...Trash on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

I am mostly curious  about this topic for fun and almost considering making my own full triangle framebag in the coming months.

I have seen some really creative designs  on here for framebags, seatbags, and even harnesses that use reclaimed materials.
For example, a harness made from the backing of a suitcase, seatbag made from choroplast political signs, etc.
If you've done something that fits in this category, post it here!
I'm wondering if I can make a full triangle framebag out of some old backpacks and duffel bags lying around my house.
Also, has anybody reused things like zippers or must those frequently be purchased new?
curious about making a zipless framebag (using only Velcro and clips) anyway, but I just wanted to start a discussion about repurposing stuff.
Maybe that's already somewhere on here.

Andrew

Topic Name: Reclaimed, Recycled, Reused...Trash Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:04:07 PM
Tanglefist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

I made my first framebag for the groundsheet of an old tent.  It was some kind of ripstop plastic.  It was kinda scrappy, but did the job well enough.  It wasn't designed to be waterproof, but managed to keep the water out fairly effectively due to the material.

hsttp://www.flickr.com/photos/74188980@N08/7124045655

The second framebag was a partial one, made from the back of an old suit case, as you say.  When working with thicker foam material, it's important to consider the thickness of the metrial and take that into account when planning measurements.
http://cyclocaust.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/partial-framebag-diymyog.html

I also made a handlebar harness, with plastic sheets and external material from a different suitcase.  The spacers pushed up against the bars were stacked layers of section cut from a foam suitcase.  I'm goign to modify this one to change the lower structure though.

http://cyclocaust.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/handlebar-harness-barness-diymyog.html

Every zipper I've ever used for a project has been scavenged from something else.  Inner tube is also a really useful material - you can put sections of it against where the fabric contacts the bike - the rubber will provide more friction against the material and reduce slipping.  This is especially useful on the attachment straps.

I've always found that a stitch can look ugly as hell, but work very well.  Getting things looking neat can be more difficult than getting them to work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:33:19 PM by Tanglefist » Logged

Topic Name: Reclaimed, Recycled, Reused...Trash Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:10:45 PM
Marna

Riding at Home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »

We make all kinds of things by reusing/recycling/ect  We have how to's on www.doesmybuttlookbiginthesaddle.com
We are using this Recycled/recustomed Trailer for hauling our camping items on longer touring trips.

* BikeTrailerFirstTest 2014-07-26.jpg (61.87 KB, 432x306 - viewed 698 times.)

Just ride your own bike and have fun!

Topic Name: Reclaimed, Recycled, Reused...Trash Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:37 AM
beens

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »

I just made this and let bar harness using a cut up army duffle bag and some flexible cutting boards.

Topic Name: Reclaimed, Recycled, Reused...Trash Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:28:38 PM
Crash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »

I am going to male a frame bag out of a doggie pack that I found on the trail. I am not sure if I'll use both bags or not. I'll have to see how wide it will be when loaded.

Sent from my iPod touch.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: