Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:35 AM
trebor

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »

Temps at elevation seems down right incredible according to the weather almanac for averages. Seems to be high 70's as the norm for Williams and Flagstaff at this time of year. Sedona seems to average about 10 degrees more.

General consensus from those in the know and familiar with the route.... is this a good time to go, weather wise?

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:32 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »

Check the almanac for Cottonwood that's the lowest point in the course. If the temps there look good other considerations would be rain and possible mud south of Flag. Some rain is good for packing the sand on Lyme Kiln and you can always skip over the mud fest in the first 20 miles.

It might be a bit hot at mid day but your overnight temps would be better.

Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:40:30 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »

Rob, I did this one a few years ago and it was a great route.  Labor day seems a bit early for my taste (will probably be pretty hot at the lower elevations). 

Mingus Mountain still is probably the hardest stretch of trail I have ever walked. Even harder than the Spruce Trail on the Dixie 200.  When I do this route again, I will have to think long and hard if I want to do Mingus again.  There is a Mingus Mountain bypass that you might strongly consider.  Water can be a little scarce on this route as well, just remember to carry enough. Have fun. 

Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:28:52 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. Then the decision is to suffer on Mingus or bypass and smile.... Hmmmm.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:12 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »

How did it go? 

Topic Name: Coconio on Labor Day Weekend..... Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 05:06:18 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »

Hey Erin - it went well. We had a blast. We followed the route exactly and used the "stage" format. Which mad for an enjoyable "know you have a place to camp soon" feel about it. Pushing up Mingus wasn't fun, but not horrible either. I think on the suffer scale crossing the Verde Valley when it was well over 100 degrees then climbing Mt Williams that evening was the real kick in the balls! The last day was just fan-freaking-tastic. Really enjoyed coming out of the Aspen above Flag.... but my arms and hands were really beat up after all that AZ singletrack. Many stops to shake out my hands and forearms from the "pump".

Rob Roberts
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: