Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:17 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »

I am really trying NOT to head up to CO to do the CT in the next few days but I might, in a moment of weakness, find myself driving up.  Let me explain... I came within inches of doing the CTR last summer but I had a hard date that I HAD to be back in AZ and didn't know if I'd make it.  It would have really sucked to DNF a day short of the finish for something like that and I didn't want the added pressure.  I have not stopped regretting that decision, nor have my wife and kids stopped reminding me that I should have done it.  This year I'm in nowhere near as good of shape and am just getting over a lingering case of Achilles tendonitis but I am dying to have a big adventure to finish off my summer.  (College Prof. returning to work Aug. 11 so I can't do the CTR proper start on Aug. 10) I really have two problems, not in great shape and no shuttle.  I've thought about trying to share/swap rides with somebody else but what if one of us bails or we are very different speeds?  I figured I could start in Durango and ride to Denver then rent a car and drive back but that would be fairly expensive (third problem-I'm broke)  I'm wondering what are the chances of hitch hiking back?  Picture me riding down 285 with a cardboard sign on my back with a giant thumb on it.  Anybody ever done that?  If I had the time I'd just ride back.  Any other ideas? 

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:26:23 AM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »

I'll bite......

First, regarding the CTR- The "R" stands for Race bro- as hard as you can go- To be frank, your tone and commitment to the adventure do not inspire confidence in my assessment of your comment. Sounds like a lot of drama surrounding your want to participate.....my recommendation would be start planning and training now for 2015. A laser focus- sharpened now for a successful run when you are ready. A post like this less than 20 days is pretty clear- listen to what you are already saying out loud.

BUT- get your ass on that bike and into the mountains. Drive to Durango, park somewhere and bike back to your car when you've blown your adventure wad. You can cover DRO to Silverton and back again-Hermosa/LA Plata/Tride....Grab a map, maybe rap with Joey to refine options and off you go professor.

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:22 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »

If you want to leave your car in Denver, I am driving to Durango on Thursday July 31st and am happy to give you a ride. I will be starting an ITT northbound DUR to DEN on Friday right after the afternoon thunderstorms stop. I have a pretty badly bruised tailbone so might end up with a DNF myself, but will be attempting a 6-8 day pace depending on how bad my rear end hurts (so we may end up passing each other back and forth a bit if we started at the same time).

IMHO, if this works with your schedule then this would be better for you since it's probably easier for you to catch a ride back to Denver if you bail partway through than if you need to catch a ride back to Durango.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:20:33 PM by Couloirman » Logged

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:00 AM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »

Couloirman, Thanks for the offer and info.  I'm still on the fence about leaving for various reasons which is why I don't really want to commit to sharing a ride with somebody.  As I said in my first post I'm actually trying NOT to go but sometimes inspiration takes over my better judgement. The chance of me going is falling now because of other commitments and the cost of driving up (why I only wanted to drive as far as Durango) but I figured I'd ask the question in case I did make it happen.  I've always wondered if hitchhiking with a bike would be easier than without.  I hoped somebody here might have tried it.  I've had mixed luck hitchhiking on foot in the past but If I saw some guy riding down the highway on a loaded bike and hitchhiking I'd definitely stop to help him out.  But that's just me.  I trust people on bikes.

Mountainjah,  I hear what you are saying and believe me 2015 is on my mind but I have learned that sometimes you just have to go for it when you are inspired and the time is available.  I know I should have done it last year because I was so fit coming off a good XC race season and two other bikepacking trips but I let better judgement get in the way.  I put the R in CTR in () for a reason.  I'm not in stellar shape and to be honest would rather ride mostly in the daytime to see the sights but I would still be riding hard to do it in a respectable time.  I'm not totally out of shape but I have a pretty strict no training policy though.  I find training takes the fun out of riding.   I've done a 3 day bikepacking trip already this summer and just spent 10 days riding in Salida and Durango.  I look at the CT as a big adventure.  I've done things of similar scale before just not on a bike.  I've learned that barring injury I can generally grind my way through just about anything.  I have all of the CTF books maps and believe me have done lots of research on the route etc.  It is all that research that inspires me to want to go.  The thought of waiting another year is killing me.

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:08 PM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »

I like your signature....go get after that trail my man and let us know how it goes. headbang

Mountainjah,  I hear what you are saying and believe me 2015 is on my mind but I have learned that sometimes you just have to go for it when you are inspired and the time is available.  I know I should have done it last year because I was so fit coming off a good XC race season and two other bikepacking trips but I let better judgement get in the way.  I put the R in CTR in () for a reason.  I'm not in stellar shape and to be honest would rather ride mostly in the daytime to see the sights but I would still be riding hard to do it in a respectable time.  I'm not totally out of shape but I have a pretty strict no training policy though.  I find training takes the fun out of riding.   I've done a 3 day bikepacking trip already this summer and just spent 10 days riding in Salida and Durango.  I look at the CT as a big adventure.  I've done things of similar scale before just not on a bike.  I've learned that barring injury I can generally grind my way through just about anything.  I have all of the CTF books maps and believe me have done lots of research on the route etc.  It is all that research that inspires me to want to go.  The thought of waiting another year is killing me.

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:04 AM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »

It looks like other obligations have successfully eaten into my time so that a full CT isn't going to happen. Now I'm planning to do a loop from Durango to Lake City and back.  It seems like that would cover some of the most scenic sections of the CT and end before the first long road bypass around La Garita Wilderness.  I'm still looking for shuttle options to reduce my road riding.  I'm thinking of parking in Silverton and riding over Cinnamon Pass to Lake City then up the highway to Slumgullion and get on the CT at Spring Cr. Pass then taking the CT route back to Durango.  This would allow me to do a self resupply in Silverton if needed.

Is there a cheap shuttle from Durango to Molas or Silverton to save me riding the highway back?  Is there a good place in Silverton to park my truck while I'm gone?  I could just park in Durango and ride/shuttle from there or even start the CT from there to Lake City and ride the roads back.  I guess an ONB on the CT could work too but I might run out of time.

Any suggestions of the best route or other logistical advice?  Thanks

Topic Name: CT(R?) self shuttle options? Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:03:26 PM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:03:26 PM »

why not the Durango Dirty Century+?  Park in town, head 15 miles up paved county roads. to Hermosa Creek Campground/TH. Head up Hermosa Creek trail to Bolam Rd.>Bolam Rd. to Celebration Lake> Then head north via CT and spend the night Lolipoping White Creek trail loop. Head back south on the CT all the way to town, your car, etc....Good 3 to 4 day loop with minimal pavement. Good options for more if you continue north on CT to Silverton> bump over to T-ride via a number of options- and then back up Galloping Goose to East fork>Bolam>CT back to DRO.

michaelackerman.org
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: