Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:59 PM
sebadmz

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »

Hi there, i was wondering if someone could share any tip for making the rigid part of a saddle bag, templates, pictures anything.
I was thinking in making 3 rigid parts, 2 side panels and a large one that bends in the end of the bag, and it´s in contact with the saddle and the seat tube.
As you can see in the pictures, the orange part it´s what i pretend to mantain rigid with a HDPE piece, is it too much?
Any advice is well received, and sorry for my english.
Bye
Sebastián

subir imagen

subir fotos a internet

subir fotos gratis
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:30:24 PM by sebadmz » Logged

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:29 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »

I think the easiest way to do this would be to sew a sleeve onto the orange panel (so that you can add the rigid part after sewing).  Then I'd rip out the rear seams on those side panels, stick in the plastic, and sew.  That last part might have to happen by hand, and having plastic in there will make everything harder to sew, so make sure it's the last thing you do with the bag.

You can also consider foam sheets instead of plastic, I've had good success with that.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:47 AM
sebadmz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

Well finally i bought a piece of pvc that works great, i can bend it and it won´t crack. The whole orange part its rigid and it helps keeping the shape of the bag and avoid wrinkles, inside i made 2 sleeves that keep the plastic in place so it won´t move.
There´s still some work on the bag to be done, but i have developed most of it, now i have to work on some details.
Any opinions?

subir imagen

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:29:52 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

Looks good.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:59:23 PM
sebadmz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »

Here are some other pictures that show better how the bag looks like on the bike, however, there´s still some details to work on, like the velcro angle, the length of the band and some other stuff that i have realized that are not working very well.
Can´t wait to do some bikepacking here in Chile, cheers.

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:34 PM
Tanglefist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

Looks good, how's the stability over rough stuff?  What kind of weight are you carrying?

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

Nice work, looks great. Lot's of great riding in Chile and great people too! Over two 1 month long trips I've ridden from Santiago down to Cochrane, so much good stuff along the way. Have Fun!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Advice in saddle bag Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 09:52:24 AM
sebadmz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »

Tanglefist: i haven´t tried yet on long trips or rough roads, but it seems i will need to put another velcro strap to increase stability, and i´m thinking of carrying mostly soft goods to keep the shape of the bag. However, i´m planning on building a frame bag and a handlebar bag to carry other stuff.

Addy marx: What a nice trip that must been, i would love to see some pictures if you have, or read a blog or post about that trip, maybe i could learn some stuff about my country.
Bye

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: