Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR Training Issues on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:39 AM
Amagi

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

Hoping this topic is acceptable in this forum. It's somewhat personal, hence my hesitation. However, considering that most of you racing this beast have seen a lot of saddle time/training time over the years, I figured there might be someone who has gone through this. 

Starting this year, after overnight rides, or long back-to-back big rides, I am falling into this very awkward state of depression for a few days afterwards. I can't stand the thought of getting on my bike during this period. My overall motivation to do anything declines. After ~2 days, everything is back to normal and I get giddy about getting back on the bike with my tent and sleeping bag. Smiley

I have found a lot  of articles talking about post-race depression being common in triathletes and the theories for what causes this. Some of that info is relevant and the treatment sort of discusses how to recover after a triathlon, not a whole lot about what can be done prior to or during a race. Given that this race is going to take me 8-10 days, I can't start "recovering" on day 2 or 3. Smiley

I'm not seeking  a diagnosis, but if you have any experience in getting over this hump, let me know. I am in my late 30's, male and have been bikepacking for 5 years. I have been racing road bikes and mountains bikes for decades. I have not changed anything I have ever done in the past. I eat the same, my hours on the saddle this year are right in line where they have always been. The only perceivable difference I do notice, is that my appetite in general has been somewhat particular. Meaning, that sometimes foods, when I feel normal or depressed, don't seem desirable.  Personally, I  have a simple life with little stress and this is getting frustrating.

Maybe I am just getting old. Smiley

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:48 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »

My guess is that it's just something super simple: a little dehydration, or not eating enough (which sometimes isn't something that's possible!), just basic exposure - being out in the sun all day (or the rain). Lack of sleep - just things like that.

I think the petite mort that is described by triathletes is more about the major buildup to the event that, in comparison to say, the CTR is over in an instant, and then you must definitely rest to recover. When you have that sort of training that can be so specific and regimented, even tapering gets people itchy, so once they do the event and then go right back to recovering, they may feel that they're doing something wrong - the body is used to (some say addicted) to the amount of work you're giving it.

After the CTR, I was pretty OK with not riding the bike for a while, to be honest! My fingers were wrecked, the bike was wrecked too. It took a few days to get out of that mental fog, but it wasn't anything like the TD - that was an intense amount of time to recover to 100% physically. I also had very strange anxiety dreams when sleeping - I'd wake up, not know where I was - thinking I was still racing and had to get out of Colorado, or something! I'd also think I was taking a nap and wake up 6 hours later. Fun times, for sure.   

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:35 AM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »

I also wonder a little about over training. Lot's of ultra-running books that I have delve into the topic. The body and mind need time to recover. The way that I have started to think about training is: apply stress + recovery = increased strength and endurance. If I don't allow for adequate recovery, I miss out on the benefits of the stress.  I think my brain works in much the same way too. If my body or brain doesn't seem up to the next training mission, I listen now a days, I used to just keep pushing... pushing... pushing... and would ultimately end up sick or injured. I still get all my training in, but it may not be the normal weekend warrior any more.

Depression sucks. I've had to deal with it at times in my life and lucky seem to have gotten through it ok. I think the inherent emotional highs and lows of endurance efforts exercise the emotional self just as much as they exercise the body. I know it sounds corny, but I try to be gentle with myself. If I don't want to get on my bike, or skis, or running shoes... I don't. I figure I just need some more time to recover. By the time my stoke is back, I'm usually feeling great and my legs want to go go go!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:12:08 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »

Couple of good responses above...good food for thought anyway.  I don't want in any way to imply that what you are feeling isn't depression, but I can't help but wonder if it might just be extreme fatigue instead?  In my experience depression and extreme fatigue can feel similar. 

Personally I really enjoy pushing myself a bit over the edge physically and have had to learn to deal with the aftermath which I affectionately call a "riding hangover". I've got to watch my self during the hangover...I can be cranky if I'm not careful.  I often kind of go into quiet mode for a couple days so as not to say/do something dumb.  And yeah no way I can touch the bike for a couple few days after, sometimes much longer.  And to touch on the Long Ranger's comment, the severity of my hangover definitely involves my nutrition/hydration during the ride.  This can be true for me weather I'm just on a one night tour or something much longer.  For instance this year I'm forgoing the CTR because I've got touring plans in September that will take a buch of energy...and the CTR leaves me pretty damn hung over!  And the TD, well l was in a fog for quite some time after that one.  But again, it doesn't necessarity take a huge race to for me to feel these symptoms.  Oh, and staying up all night, like in the Vapor Trail etc, that will have a negative impact on most of us after the ride is over.

Anyway as far as your CTR training goes, I wouldn't worry about having to start "recovering" on day 2 or 3.  Hopefully you'll find that your body and mind will "know" that you're not yet done, and will rise to the challenge.  For me day 2 is often very hard, 3 gets better, and by 4 my body is adapting to my new "job". 

Interesting topic....  I hope this helps a bit. 

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:24 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »

It sounds like just being worn down and having some sort of imbalance or deficiency as the others have suggested. There's a kind of PTSD thing that can happen too.  Sometimes it just seems like the "real world" is so _________. Fill in the blank, boring, hectic, meaningless, complicated,...  Also you may be suffering from endorphin withdrawals after a long hard ride.

Sometimes (like right now) I am unmotivated and kind of depressed because I don't have any big goal in my near future.  I know after my first solo 24 hour race I had the exact opposite symptoms though.  I was so stoked that I had done so well that I was on a high for at least a month which was good because I couldn't ride due to tendonitis, but I didn't really care.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:34 AM
Norb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

This is a great topic and something I've struggled with as well.

I think hormones, sleep deprivation, nutritional challenges, fear, solitude - you name it - all contribute to a complete imbalance/overload of the system.  The high of 'mission accomplished' is followed by a pretty dark place at times.  In triathlon, that usually hits a few days after the event and after a few days things start to get back to some sense of normalcy. 

The TD, on the other hand, left me battered physically, but even worse was the mental/emotional darkness that lasted for a damn long time...I don't think I got on my bike for months.  Zero interest in the bike, work was difficult and life, in general, was muted and fuzzy.   

Overtraining can do the same thing and as bart said, with some good recovery you can be back in form and feeling great again.  For me , just knowing this is the outcome from doing multi-day rides and racing makes it a bit easier.  I've come to accept it as my new normal.

Good luck sorting it out Amagi...keep us posted.

“The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable.”
― Charles Bukowski

Topic Name: CTR Training Issues Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:36:28 PM
esskay1000

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »

you mentioned that you are now in your late thirties but your volume of miles per year and training etc has been consistent with what you've done in the past. I think it might be lack of rest and recovery. I am now 44 years old, & I have noticed a significant difference in how much rest and recovery I need to maintain constant health and performance. And that situation started for me in my late thirties to be honest.  Like bartspedden mentioned, I used to just keep pushing and pushing and pushing all the time. But I have found now that I'm in better shape and faster in my mid forties then I was in my 30s, and I train less now than I did then - both running and cycling. 

it's no coincidence that in most of the major sports of the world the top athletes start leaving and retiring in their late thirties, I don't want to be a downer but its when your body starts breaking down faster. try getting more rest, and doing maybe shorter workouts for a while and see how you feel
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: