Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:04 PM
mykeonabyke

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »

Aloha,

I'm in the planning process of doing the first half of AZT in late October/Early November. I will probably stop close to Phoenix, as my family lives there and I will be flying out from there.

I'm on the lookout for a potential riding buddy, advice, stories or anything you'd like to share concerning the trail. From everything I've read, I'm a touch confused about some of the routes and a little anxious about attempting to fly it solo. This will be my first long distance bike packing trip, and basically, I don't want to die.

So hit me up if you have anything to offer, or if you plan on riding it yourself during that time period.

I'll be 30 by the time I'm out there, and this is sort of a first step into a much larger world or bike exploration. I'm certainly no newbie when it comes to bikes. I've been riding forever, am a relatively skilled mountain biker and a trained bike mechanic. However, travel logistics are a weak point of mine, so having a bit of reference and advice would be a really big help.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:06:54 AM
jmctav23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »

By first half do you mean starting in the north or south?  I'm in Flagstaff and could be interested, although nights up here in the high country will be getting pretty chilly by late October.  As for routing beta, we've got some time to sort it out.  I'm also just starting out in bikepacking and want to get a few shakedown overnight trips in the next few months.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:11 AM
mykeonabyke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »

I should of mentioned that. I plan on starting from south to north, however I am open to route alterations or any bright ideas for a 300 to 400 mile section to ride!

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:51 PM
Flagster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

I am in Flag also and might be interested...
I was planning the Kokopelli solo around that time but would rather have some company...

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:35 AM
mykeonabyke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »

Awesome. I'm doing some route adjustments and am looking at doing phoenix to Tucson and back probably. I'm aware it starts to cool down a fair bit in late October once you get into the Flagstaff area. My dates are approximately October 26th through the first few days of November.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »

I may be doing the entire thing starting around that time north to south. I am noticeably slow on the up hill.

For route information buy Gaia app for iPhone then down .gpx file from azt race website. Import, then down load the maps from gaia for free.  Seems to me their route is chosen for bikers so should be ok.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:35:35 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »

.gpx file from azt race website.
.  Seems to me their route is chosen for bikers so should be ok.

The race course is chosen for bikers to ride the most single track of the AZT, within reason and not going too far out of the way or doubling back, or as some may say walk their bikes on as much single track as possible.

Not to discourage anyone from riding the course, just throwing it out there that there's a lot of walking on the AZT. For a route that was actually chosen for bike riding and not hiking with your bike there was "The Complete Guide to Biking the AZT". The author skips over many of the rougher trail segments using dirt roads. A lot of that course could still be used but one key link at the Gila is now closed.

At this time it seems that most people are doing the race course maybe just skipping a few of the more grueling sections. Right off the bat some may skip the 30 miles of the Canelo's lots of HAB (hiking a bike) and technical DH that would suck to walk down after pushing up. The dirt roads will easily get you to Patagonia. The AZT south of Kentucky Camp is some of the sweetest as is the north end of the Santa Rita's there's only about 7 miles north of Rosemont that's pretty tough. The race course out of Tucson is a bit out of the way and the roads and trail are quite rough with HAB. You can easily get to the Catalina Hwy. The race course down Oracle Ridge is a nightmare to say the least, you can bail off to the Control road if you change your mind. Any one going North to South should just go up the road. People have gone up the trail but it's highly discouraged. Other then that I would say that the Highline and the race course from Payson to Pine are pretty brutal.

Check out the AZT network data in the Routes segment of this website. Look as a couple of race/ride reports and be prepared to make a few adjustments to the course. Or stick to the official race course for the more challenging route.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:08:14 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:08:14 PM »

Thanks for the advice on Oracle Ridge. I am biking north to south. Any other re routes you would suggest?  I think I will definitely bike up the control road. In general HAB is worth if the downhill is awesome. Especially if it is technical downhill.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:14:44 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »

The High Line Trail after you drop off of the Mogollon is 17 plus miles of mostly walking, unless your really committed to doing the whole course you could drop down the road into Payson in no time.

Other then that the HAB should have pay offs that make it worth it.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:23:03 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »

Could you please give me more information.  Drop down to Payson on what road and then get on the trail how?  Is there a a non HAB trail route or are you stuck going on roads to go around the highline trail?  How could the trail really be HAB for 17 miles.  What did they do build the trail through a 17 miles long boulder field?

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »

Yeah sorry, so the High Line Trail is 17 miles that was built by mules in the 1800's, it's not that there's no work being done on it but lots of its messed up like a trail thru a boulder field.

To be more specific after Flag then Morman Lake and Happy Jack (beware of mud) then Blue Ridge and General Springs Cabin. From here you drop about 1000 feet on the AZT. At the bottom the AZT takes a hard right to the west on the old High Line trail. At this junction you are at a place called Washington Park, there's a nice creek here most of the year maybe year round. There's a road from Payson to Washington Park its a big numbered Forest Road.

Try loading up the AZTnetwork gpx from this page http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/arizona-trail/ that should give you a way to see the bypasses as loadable track.

edit to add looks like its FS 199
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:59:35 PM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:33 PM
mykeonabyke

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »

Well, in that case, anybody have some more specific advice for a good route between the Phoenix and Tucson segments of the trail? I was planning on starting out at the trailhead just south of the superstition mountains, but I'm a bit lost as to what's actually rideable and how much will be hike a bike.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:30 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »

Picket Post TH east of Phx heading south will have some HAB but it is well worth it. The Gila Canyons Passage is newer trail some of it is very scenic. The rest of the way to Oracle is all good as well. Up and over the Catalina's/Mt Lemmon or even just the highway around like I did at the end last year. You could always pick up the trail again south of Tucson for some more great riding.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:35 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »

There's also the Black Canyon Trail north of Phx there's some great bikepacking potential there. You can see some pics here http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=6180.0

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 03:17:21 PM
ifrpilot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »

Mike,

How do you plan on getting from tuscon to the start?  I'm contemplating on the ride across Texas at that time but would love some company as I am also new at this.  The blind leading the blind.
I have off the Oct 28- Nov 5th.  Would those dates work for you?  I could stop in PHX and catch a flight from there.  I would personally want to do the route put on for the AZT 300 so we can download the file and follow the line.  Let me know if you are still up for this.  Thanks.

Rich

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:19 AM
mykeonabyke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:19 AM »

Hey Rich, thanks for hitting me up and I apologize for the late response. After a bit more research and some serious soul searching concerning the kind of riding I'd like to do, I think I'm going to switch to doing the Coconino trail. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but everything of the AZT between Phoenix and Tucson I looked up left me with the impression that it was a lot of rough terrain and hike a bike. I like technical trail as much as anybody, but I don't want to push my bike for 50+ miles either.

The Coconino seems to jump on the AZT for around 30 to 40 miles then dips southwest towards Sedona. All of that area is landscape I've always loved about Arizona and the Coconino seems to be in the heart of it. All the articles seem to be great concerning the type of riding one encounters out there and I'm ready for the challenge.

With that being said, I'm certainly down for riding buddies. I'll be out in AZ from October 27th through November 5th, so I have a pretty decent window of riding time. If anybody knows anything about Coconino or wants to tag along for any sections (especially if you know what you're doing), I'd welcome the company.

Topic Name: AZT Trail in late October (first 400 or so miles) Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 12:44:53 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »

Hey Rich, thanks for hitting me up and I apologize for the late response. After a bit more research and some serious soul searching concerning the kind of riding I'd like to do, I think I'm going to switch to doing the Coconino trail. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but everything of the AZT between Phoenix and Tucson I looked up left me with the impression that it was a lot of rough terrain and hike a bike. I like technical trail as much as anybody, but I don't want to push my bike for 50+ miles either.

The Coconino seems to jump on the AZT for around 30 to 40 miles then dips southwest towards Sedona. All of that area is landscape I've always loved about Arizona and the Coconino seems to be in the heart of it. All the articles seem to be great concerning the type of riding one encounters out there and I'm ready for the challenge.

With that being said, I'm certainly down for riding buddies. I'll be out in AZ from October 27th through November 5th, so I have a pretty decent window of riding time. If anybody knows anything about Coconino or wants to tag along for any sections (especially if you know what you're doing), I'd welcome the company.

NOT TRUE at all.  From Oracle to Phoenix is all AWESOME Trail!!  Definitely some HAB, but it is generally pretty short sections and so much rideable trail!..

I ended up doing the AZTR300 at Christmas.  It was super fun until I got stuck in a snow storm on the last day riding into PicketPost Trailhead (near Phoenix).  When I say "riding" what I really mean is slogging through the mud because my crank broke off so no peddling for the last 6 miles or so to the highway.  Fortunately I got a ride from a stranger straight to a nice warm hotel room by the Phoenix airport. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: