Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? on: June 12, 2014, 04:01:04 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

How much interest would you folks have in buying DIY kits for bikepacking gear?

I have made and sold a number of custom frame bags so could write up some killer directions (including directions for all the features and harder frame types - full suspension, etc), then include all the right materials in the quantities you need, so all you need to provide is the elbow grease and the sewing machine (and maybe the thread?).

Dimension Polyant X-Pac fabrics - VX21, VX42
#10 and #8 YKK water resistant zippers
1" and 2" velcro
grosgrain binding webbing
reflective tape

No idea on pricing yet, but a lot less than paying me to sew it for you...
Kits could also be developed for bar bag, top tube bag, and everything bags....

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:46:57 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »

I'm the type that would SO rather pay someone to sew it correctly.  Other things maybe not so much but even with some experience its just not my bag (haha).

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:35 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

I could be down for something like that, but I think the biggest problem I have with sewing a frame bag, is the pattern so I think that's what I'd be most interested in, same with a seat bag and handlebar bag. I feel like the sewing isn't terribly hard, but more of knowing what to sew.

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:57 AM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »

The kits would include both directions and all materials for the item - the one stop shop gets you all the best materials without having to shop around and also a pile of tips and tricks on the pattern and features.

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:32:34 PM
PerryD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »

If the price was right and the pattern was right i may be interested.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:29 AM
Filterlessjoe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:29 AM »

Any new news with this? I'd be interested in paying for patterns and materials or even just patterns. I can source/recycle my own materials and I'm ok with a sewing machine. Of course the price would be a major factor. I'm a diy person out of practicality. I would rather have the pro stuff, but financially it's not an option.

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:24 PM
stever121051

With my wife LuAnne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »

I am interested in a seat bag if you are able to put that together

let me know

Steve R

Steve Reynolds
Go Light go Long
http://www.stevesgreatdivideride.org

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:40 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »

You could always over-size the material so that people could have room to cut it however they wanted. I'd be interested in it. You should probably provide different ingredients in the different packages so people could pick and choose how they wanted it. For example I hand-sew mine, so grosgrain webbing isn't super useful for me.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »

Hey, Jeremy,

I think this is a great idea. I would certainly pay a little extra for all the right materials from a single source. No problem making patters, have sewing machine, just need the best/right materials.

I'll hit you on PM. Thanks...

Topic Name: Interest in buying kits for bikepacking gear? Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:01:34 AM
Clodhopper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:01:34 AM »

Hi I want to make a simple bar bag for a Jones bar. I want to keep it simple with 2 straps, some kind of halter, and an anchor of some type to the head tube (which might not be necessary). I have been looking at a lot of different ideas but they all involve sewing to some degree. I don't know how to sew! I'm looking for a simple but effective attachment solution that can take advantage of the unique Jones bar for added stability. Any ideas? I don't want to pay big bucks for some DIY project I could do for fun in a weekend!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: