Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: New member from SoCal on: June 03, 2014, 08:46:08 PM
insterno

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »

Hello bikepacking forum! I've been getting back into mountain biking big time, and am riding 4-5 days a week. As my rides have pushed into the 20-30 mile range I've begun considering adding overnights as a way to expand my range and to enjoy an additional challenge. I'm planning on riding across the Santa Ana's in the Cleveland national forest this summer and staying at Bluejay. I'm also looking for other opportunities within a day's drive of Orange County, CA.

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:52 PM
sam.pederson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

I live in Santa Cruz CA and have a few routes around here, if you are interested.

Also open to something down south.

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
verve825

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

Hey, guys-

I live in Santa Ynez, which is a little north of Santa Barbara, and (more or less) equidistant (3 or 3 1/2 hours) between the two of you. I'm about a 10 minute drive to the western boundary of Los Padres National Forest, which contains a vast amount of bikepacking potential, from 30 minute spins to secluded backcountry campsites with picnic tables and springs, to multi-day epics through some remarkably wild and remote terrain.

I'm not sure why there isn't more of a bikepacking community here- literally this morning, I found a complex of apparently unridden singletrack that I'd never seen before- but I get out as much as possible, and I'm always up for some like-minded company.

By all means, let me know if you're up for an overnight (or longer) adventure sometime- there's a heap of good riding to explore, and I'm super keen to get out!

Be well and enjoy your rides,

Jeff

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:35:19 PM
Michael_S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »

there are some nice areas to bikepack in the San Gabriel's just north of you as well as Mt Laguna in San Diego County.

I'm a little south  in Carlsbad and would be interested in some overnights trips as well.

Mike

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:53 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

Here is a thread I started many moons ago for Southern and Central Cal:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=2860.0

Hope you can work your way up to doing the TDLP next year- www.tourdelospadres.com  I am going to make the point to point route a little more streamlined and easier for 2014. 

Maybe Jeff won't bail at the last minute like he did this year!  nono

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
verve825

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »

"Maybe Jeff won't bail at the last minute like he did this year!"

Caught red-handed... My lame excuse of a brand-new job notwithstanding, I wish I'd been able to ride the inaugural TDLP- it was, by all accounts, a badass event. Serious props to Erin for putting a huge amount of time and effort into laying out the course, organizing the event, taking care of logistics, etc.- well played, my good man, well played!

I'm super stoke to take receipt of my new Oveja Negra bag in a week, and to start ticking off boxes on the "to-be-explored" list- can't wait for slightly cooler weather!

Should anyone be up for joining us for some backcountry goodness in and around Santa Barbara, shoot either of us an email- we'd love to ride with you!

Regards,

jeff

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:45 AM
Kepler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

I'm located in Los Angeles and am looking for some good overnight trips. Maybe longer in the future. I've done some backpacking in the area and a lot of road and mtb in all the popular spots. I'd like a trip in the Santa Monica's or San Gabriels to start out but it seems that camping (legally) is pretty limited. Am I missing something?
Josh

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:02 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »

Rob Roberts did a loop route near Burbank that he describes in this thread:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=2860.0

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:52 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »

and here is the route:  http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/357873

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:44 AM
Kepler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »

Awesome, thanks so much. If I do it I'll post a report.

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 05:46:46 AM
abhemet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 05:46:46 AM »

if your interested doing nice easy overnight my friend has setup a overnight event in Catalina island October 10th 2014. We have done it several times. Its good introduction and not to difficult one but its blast. We go biking packing several times year. But we don't bring food on this one we eat at the local restaurants. so its basically bring money and card, tent, bivy, sleeping bag and towel and what ever you would bring on a epic.here is the info https://www.facebook.com/events/265184340359340/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming . Also here is ride report my friend did on the our last one.  http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/popping-the-cherry-on-catalina-island-ca/ I haven't decided if I'm going yet because I'm preparing for the Julian Death march in October.

Topic Name: New member from SoCal Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
Michael_S

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »

I'm located in Los Angeles and am looking for some good overnight trips. Maybe longer in the future. I've done some backpacking in the area and a lot of road and mtb in all the popular spots. I'd like a trip in the Santa Monica's or San Gabriels to start out but it seems that camping (legally) is pretty limited. Am I missing something?
Josh

one fun mixed terrain overnight ride is to take the Metrolink up to Acton. Ride up Angeles Forest Highway and then up Mt Gleason on the old poorly paved road. There is a primitive campground called Messenger Flats on the backside or you can wild camp further down. Then follow the fire road toward Mendenhall ridge.  This connects with Little Tujunga rd and back down to the Metrolink station in Sun Valley.  Doable on 40 mm cross tires.  There are other options like Mt Pacifico and down to 3 Points.

mike
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:56:44 AM by Michael_S » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: