Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1300 on: August 16, 2014, 10:00:33 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1300 on: August 16, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »

TD14: Cjell Money called in from Breckenridge to say his TD14 ITT is done.

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td14/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1301 on: August 16, 2014, 11:12:06 PM
InYerBlood

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 16, 2014, 11:12:06 PM »

TD14: Cjell Money called in from Breckenridge to say his TD14 ITT is done.

Oh, crap.

I fink u freeky, and I like u a lot.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2014, 12:09:15 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »

Cjell no! Say it ain't so. We were so looking forward to getting passed by you in MT. Good run amigo.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:05 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »

And so it ends....

But others are just starting out or continuing on their grand two-month tours: I ran into a young couple fresh off the plane from the Czech Republic who were outside my local Safeways with the first map of the Great Divide Mtn Bike Route in their hands (with loaded bikes next to them). After racing home and returning, I sent them off with my canister of bear spray and a little marine horn for barking/growling critters as well as a box of Cliff bars to boot. Oh to be young again. They hadn't even trained for the epic ride! When I told them I was doing 50 or 60 mile day trips with a loaded bike for conditioning, they just about choked. Mind you, their ages combined were still less than my 58 years so they can get away with that lack of training. Since it was Tereza's birthday today (her 25th), I added some mini-cupcakes to their haul: http://www.cravecupcakes.ca/ (yummy!!).

Here's the blog (use your translate option): http://boruvkovyknedliky.blogspot.cz/

I'm rooting for them and hope they make it the entire distance.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:25:21 PM by ABfolder » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1304 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:17 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1304 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

Yah, and our trip along the singletrack version of the divide continues as well.  Not to mention many grand trips in progress on the CDT by foot. There are many forms of divide travel, and what country to travel!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1305 on: August 17, 2014, 08:14:41 PM
EndoAgain

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: August 17, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »

After reading Marshal Bird's blog and I can understand why Cjell would call it a day. The faster your goal time the less misfortune you can sustain before your goal slips away. There comes a point when you know no amount of perseverance or suffering will get you to the finish within your goal time. Then you are suffering and burning your time, money, and spousal/SO credits for....what? Unless you want to tour it there is really little reason to keep the suffering going.  I wish Cjell and Marshal all the best next year.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1306 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people whom I met on the trail this year! It was trying at times but I had a blast! Haven't been on here, and yes it's been over a month now.... But the first two weeks were spent eating, sleeping and family time! In any case, congrats to all the racers who managed to gut it out to the end, it was a tough one!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1307 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:06 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

TD 2014 Recap by Montana Miller:

http://dirtragmag.com/the-mountains-dont-care-a-tour-divide-recap/

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1308 on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:14 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »

Another thought: If you happen across any small sections of Reflectix http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations kicking around construction sites, you might ponder the possibilities of recycling that into a duct-taped-together/velcroed vest instead of down or even Primaloft. Will you sweat under that Reflectix vest? You betcha...but it'll still insulate you because it's foil-covered bubble wrap -- and extremely light (although bulky). Under the June moon of the Blackfoot people "When Long Rains Come", you'll likely be soaked to the skin even using exterior protection like Gore-tex, Gore-tex knockoffs or plastic garbage bags so it certainly wouldn't hurt to try out. Wool layers underneath will also get soaked. Alternatively, you could cut vest-size sections of the bubble wrap and stick them under a gilet for a fast fix. I bought a scrap section of the stuff from a local hardware store and plan on fiddling with it this fall.

Since the temps have already dropped here into the 10C-ish zone (50ish F), I thought I'd give the Reflectix vest a shot in the rain to see how it worked out. I tried it yesterday at about 10 to 12 degrees C in drizzling/drenching rain and it was near perfect. Essentially, the lightweight crap that passes for "breathable" rain jackets these days stops the drizzling moisture outside -- mostly -- but also prevents your body sweat from escaping -- mostly -- which means that you end up in a cold funk inside your jacket after several hours. Cold for an extended time period = Hypothermia (especially in the 40s and low 50s F).

I gave the shiny foil vest a 50+ mile test run on a loaded bike (about 5 1/2 hrs) and it worked as planned: the Reflectix stuff is waterproof and reflects body heat back to you so your rain jacket basically turns into a warm sauna. Note the word warm -- your underlayer of wool or synthetic might be damp (and I recommend only using one layer underneath) but it stays at a nice temperature instead of turning into a cold slop. The vest goes under the rain jacket so you don't stand out as the Tin Man. Since the material is bendable and foldable it gives with your body in use. But it's also stiff enough to hold the top of the jacket off your shoulders somewhat so air can flow around a bit. I used a 150 wt Merino underlayer with the bubble-foil vest over top of that and then the jacket (a Patagonia Torrentshell). I had the jacket hood under my helmet which allowed some air to get scooped in from the front due to motion while riding. The pit zips were also open slightly. I teamed the top stuff with a rain pant which trapped sweat inside and soaked my lower clothing -- but leg movement warmed me up sufficiently there.

The nice thing with the Reflectix is that if you're almost motionless -- say sitting at a keyboard typing -- you don't sweat profusely and the vest works with not much on the negative side.  Since it's also windproof, it can be used in camp all on its own. If the front zipper on your jacket gives suddenly, the front foil barrier acts to stop the wind. Also, after a day on a hard saddle, you can sit on the folded vest and it feels like lounging on a comfy sofa. Unfolded completely and extended, it could be used as a sleeping bag underpad or sleeping bag liner. Weight = 5.5oz for my size. That's not a bad tradeoff for some major protection against hypothermia. The vest could be rolled up and strapped to the bike front (but would be blinding in the sun up top) or tied down to a seatbag or rear rack bag. I stick mine under a cargo net that I have over an Arkel Tailrider.

On a good day without rain, you wouldn't use it while riding until you stopped and wanted to park your saddle sore rear on something warm, reflective and comfortable. On a cold/cool rainy day? Slip it on and enter your own personal sauna!

I'll try to get some pics up in the Make Your Own Gear section in case anyone is interested in trying one out: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=10763.0. In Canada, RONA sells the stuff by the metre for small amounts. I got some scrap someone had cut for about 4 bucks. I cut a head section out and folded the material over to create a front and back. The sides are open and I fasten them together (with a bit of space for air flow) with self-adhesive velcro strips (two on each side, top and near bottom). I get into it by opening one side, sliding an arm in while sticking my head through the top. Easy! I took care of my rained-on arms with the recycled "sock" arm warmers mentioned above. They soaked up the perspiration/condensation and kept my arms warm the entire time. At the end of the day, they were wet through but I never noticed any cold. The vest, however, NEVER absorbs water so it stays the same weight-wise.

Try one on, you might like it! And it could save your hypothermic carcass on a very long ride in a cold rain.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:40:11 PM by ABfolder » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2014, 02:35:45 PM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »

Cjell no! Say it ain't so. We were so looking forward to getting passed by you in MT. Good run amigo.

Cjell in a candid moment along the way: https://www.facebook.com/Tonyslongridehome/photos/pcb.316247848543978/316247128544050/?type=1&theater and his steed https://www.facebook.com/Tonyslongridehome/photos/pcb.316247848543978/316247068544056/?type=1&permPage=1 .

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:01 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Terry Brannick just after he had come over the Whitefish Divide, on his way to Red Meadow lake. He was gunning it down a long straight wooded section of the Trail Creek Road as I slogged Whitefish to Fernie on a new toy that needed a little more fettling than just taking it out of the box and riding....

He looked better than I did.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1311 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:52 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1311 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-city-calgary-struggles-summer-snowfall-161202779--finance.html;_ylt=AwrTWVWpfxBUcBMA9TfQtDMD

Could be an interesting start next year.  Calgary already has 14" of snow!

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1312 on: September 11, 2014, 01:19:33 PM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 11, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »

I hope no tourist or Tour Divide time trialist was trying a late Southbound start on the GDMBR. 14" of snow in the plains probably means more on the passes.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1313 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:13 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: September 19, 2014, 12:21:13 AM »

Hi all,

I sent the enclosed out to the starter's list today. Please circulate.

Hi All,

It’s that time of year again when I start a challenge greater than attempting the Tour Divide---getting Tour Dividers to contribute stories for the Cordillera. Volume 6 – to be published around Thanksgiving—will be on the 2014 race. What a year. Looking forward to the stories.

Why Contribute?

Three reasons:

•   We are a small community of Tour Dividers and in 2010 Dave Blumenthal was killed just after Bush Mountain Lodge. We’ve used the Cordillera to raise funds for his young daughter Linnaea’s college fund and to date have raised over $9000.
•   We’ve a lot of interest in the Tour Divide after Mike’s film and the book feeds this interest. It is a collage of what happens on the Tour Divide and with each year being different records for posterity the race. I can’t wait to read the stories for 2014 as it was such a challenging year weather wise.
•   For people who want to race the Tour Divide it’s an invaluable resource for what to expect and planning how to deal with broken bikes, broken bodies and broken spirits. Oh, and for the lucky ones...finishing.

What to Contribute?

Two options.

•   The best is to write a story about what you experienced, what you felt, etc.  I’ve attached JD Paul’s story of braking his frame in NM and how he still finished on it, and Mike Arenberg  as examples. Mike’s story is a good example of why your mother told you to wash your hands after toileting—especially if you have leaking Bear Mace around! 
•   Do an interview. I’ve attached a sample interview template with a few questions—as well as Oliver Whalley’s interview after 2012.

In both cases make it personal and share anecdotes. And don’t forget pictures!

What if I didn’t finish?

Welcome to the club. That was me in 2011 and 2012 before finally cracking the beast in 2013.  You still have a story to share so don’t use that as an excuse 

We also have a section for friends/family contributions under ‘Blue Dot Watchers’ so please see if they will contribute.

The Gear Survey

Please complete the online gear survey at:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1712910/Cordillera-v6-2014-Tour-Divide-Gear-List

This forms an annex to the Cordillera and I had a lot of good feedback after last year. I’m using a fee version of Survey Gizmo so if it will not take any more entries please let me know and I’ll upgrade to the paid version.

Where/How Long/When

Please e-mail me your contribution to chris@lpcb.org. I’ll be racing the Transcontinental from 8 August so don’t expect answers during the race!

If I could have contributions sooner than later it would be great. A good way to pass the recovery time in Istanbul would be editing the Cordillera. The deadline is the end of September. Two reasons. Main one is that I want to get the book finished in time for US Thanksgiving. It’s a great Christmas present. I’m also on a business trip to the Pacific Islands for the month of October so I have time to work on it nights after work rather than having a life riding my bike or spending time with my wife.

If you can use the attached Word Files as templates it would be great. Otherwise send through a document and I’ll do my best to format it. It’s a big job and it’s helpful if you use these files as samples.

Do I Get a Free Copy

Believe it or not, this question comes up. The editor doesn’t even get one  thumbsup. Besides, it all goes to a good cause.

Please Forward This To Any Riders or Blue Dot Watchers

Not everyone puts their e-mails down on the Starter’s List so if you know of riders – or people who enjoyed watching the race – please forward to them.

Hi,

A few people have contacted me to ask if it's too late to contribute to the Cordillera. Not at all! I will start the editing in a few weeks and hope to have it done by the end of October. So contributions are most welcome - but the sooner the better! I want to get it completed before Thanksgiving.

Regards,

Chris

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1314 on: September 21, 2014, 02:18:49 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1314 on: September 21, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »

To piggy back Chris, if anyone has a cool (hi-res) image they'd like considered for the cover, let me know.

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1315 on: September 21, 2014, 06:21:53 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1315 on: September 21, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

To piggy back Chris, if anyone has a cool (hi-res) image they'd like considered for the cover, let me know.

Check out reply no. 802 (on page 41 or thereabouts) from this thread.  As soon as I read your request, this is the image that popped into my mind.  Maybe without the text.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=10540.msg65198#msg65198

Beautiful pic, and there's even a photo credit.  Might be a place to start.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1316 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:12 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1316 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »

that's gorgeous, but I'd need the text gone.  Is the email on post 802 the person to contact?

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1317 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:36 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1317 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

that's gorgeous, but I'd need the text gone.  Is the email on post 802 the person to contact?

Doubtful.  Google the photographer, email her/them the link above, and see what they say.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:35 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

Looks like there is an ITTer out there. Just looked at trackleaders for some reason and noticed Terry Brannick out on it.

Go man go!!!
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide14i.php?name=Terry_Brannick_ITT

Woody

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #1319 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:01 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »

I have a couple of really cool pics that could be used for cover shots. I would need to email them to you. They are too large to post
  Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: