Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #640 on: June 25, 2014, 01:03:18 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: June 25, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »

TD14: Andy Amick called in from Rawlins!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td14/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #641 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:08 PM
lmc81224

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »

I was just about to post the same. I rec'd this to my inbox, which is basically him signing off:

12:40 AM (13 minutes ago)
To: me
Device:Trace-084
Latitude:-99999
Longitude:-99999
Date/Time:06/24/2014 20:40:18 AKDT

Click the link below to see where the asset is located.
http://fms.ws/HcCiC/99999S/99999W

Mike's the BOMB!!  I wish I was picking him up from this race too.  Thanks for all you do Matthew & Co! 

Maybe Jefe needs a beer at the finish this year...  Such a great guy!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #642 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:53 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »

U know - pure bliss
In the moment
I would like to stay here forever

That's what I call the 'sweet spot' - been there twice in my life via bikepack racing.  May or may not involve chills up and down the spine, possibly a tear shed (or two).  You go, Mark C!  Enjoy!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #643 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:20 PM
Bounce

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »

Jefe a mile north of HORCA.

I rode up FR 250 today and ran into Jefe coming down from Platoro.  I've gotta say (something everyone already knows), Jefe is a machine.

He is in great spirits and although I'm not a psychologist I'll play one on the internet.  If I had to come up with a word that described Jefe's mindset right now it'd be "amused."  He was all smiles.  He's totally in his element. He was psyched and clearly having fun - which says a whole lot considering he'd just come down that rough Platoro road. He didn't appear to be the slightest bit fatigued, at all - at all, and he said he'd been resting up for a big push through New Mexico.  Massive respect for Jefe - incredible job.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #644 on: June 25, 2014, 02:49:47 PM
Kattamah

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 25, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »

Did they both have rear hubs that seized? Because I'd be more concerned about traveling solo...

No, one had the fly wheel go out, which seized the hub and the other had tyre issues, which he's had nearly the entire trip so far. Hasn't even hit the New Mexico goat heads yet, but has suffered 4 flats on the front wheel, poor thing. It's really slowed em down.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #645 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:35 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »

... like singing to yourself / screaming at yourself / talking to the trees, smacking yourself in the face, doing stand up comedy, whatever it takes...
And maybe a 5min 'handlebar nap' or two, or a dozen.  I've done this and all of the above, but on 6hrs sleep or more per.  To loosely echo what Justin the Ranger says - looking to make up or shave off hours in the sub-17d realm is serious next level stuff for me.  I'm impressed simply by where Jefe is at, given the snow/water/weather challenges up North, let alone the potential of setting the record.  Pulling for a strong NM finish!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #646 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:24 PM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

What are the two orange routes through New Mexico on Trackleaders? Just acceptable alternatives or what?

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #647 on: June 25, 2014, 03:58:02 PM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 25, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »

As I have been out and about on my own adventure and just getting back to Idaho I looked at the forum a few times during travel over the last couple of days. As l was looking at the broken record of rule discussion that comes up each year I didnt feel it was worth commenting but it seems like the race discussion got better.

With that I will make a few comments.

Tear shedding - Typically for me it comes when I start to really feel empowered by the trail and what I am doing. Its like nothing can stop me and loving what I am doing, where I am at. Its a state of living in the moment and realizing how fortunate and lucky I am. I love that feeling and it happens often to me. Lets just say I get into bikepack racing by myself for my own reasons. Self discovery and digging deep, is huge for me. I am glad others get this, trying to explain this to someone who has never felt this way is tough.

Every person deals with there own issues and weather every single time. Some like to talk about more. I had one clean run and that was my first run in 07' but it was 90 to 100 plus degrees the whole time. I carried A LOT of water that year (200oz) as a newbie and glad I did. Every other year rain and mud was an issue.

As far as my last record year I had my fair share of rain and cold weather. Although I see the comments of my rest on the 2nd to last night I will say I did not sleep at all. I was busy changing flats in the rain, falling a sleep with the wheel in my lap and having a difficult time trying to patch holes in tubes. I pulled into Pie Town at day break, pissed, I thought I blew the record, still not sure how I pulled it off. And of course no Pie to be had as they were closed. Whatever day that is. I only made pie 1 out of 4 times. Bad timing I have. And then you need to go down hill to resupply. On the last night I was doing the rollers in the Gila and passed out on each one until I got cold then would move again.

In my opinion Jefe can close the gap and best the record by a small bit if all goes well for him. I am actually cheering for him because there is only one way I can go back...

You got to want it and never stop moving forward is part of the game at this point.

I just checked the map and will also say, as Matthew mentioned, he is in a bad situation for food resupply to keep going through the night. The snack shack may be open but I have been skunked there too. With that being said I will say when I make strategy each and every morning, afternoon and evening I constantly try and think where I might end up 24 hours from that time. This tells me how much to sleep when and how hard to push when. This is a game of chess not strength when it comes down to these kind of times.

Anyway I will continue to follow from here on out and happy bikepacking to all.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #648 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:08 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

quick side note.  Pete, please give us a write up of your adventure.  i'm assuming it was the one in Italy that you mentioned on the Salsa blog. 

I love bikepacking.  It's got to be the only sport where us normal people are able to interact with the top dogs of the sport. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #649 on: June 25, 2014, 05:05:42 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 25, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »

This is a game of chess not strength when it comes down to these kind of times....I will continue to follow from here on out and happy bikepacking to all
Welcome back to the states, JP, and thanks for helping us channel the ghost up front.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #650 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:27 PM
danwiz

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

Jefe a mile north of HORCA.

I rode up FR 250 today and ran into Jefe coming down from Platoro.  I've gotta say (something everyone already knows), Jefe is a machine.

He is in great spirits and although I'm not a psychologist I'll play one on the internet.  If I had to come up with a word that described Jefe's mindset right now it'd be "amused."  He was all smiles.  He's totally in his element. He was psyched and clearly having fun - which says a whole lot considering he'd just come down that rough Platoro road. He didn't appear to be the slightest bit fatigued, at all - at all, and he said he'd been resting up for a big push through New Mexico.  Massive respect for Jefe - incredible job.

Respectfully speaking, Jefe is a freak. Out of this world type resilience, bottomless grit and determination. He was made to race to this race. Bravo Jefe, bravo

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #651 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:29 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »

The rules issue is complex, for sure.  When I was at Butt's Cabin a few weeks ago one of the other riders who stopped there for the night was having a severe asthma attack.  For some reason this person didn't have a puffer.  For some reason I had two.  So I gave one to this person.  In return, this person gave me an energy bar, which was nice since I stupidly forgot to pack enough sugar out of Sparwood.

Did I break the rules?  I did, but only in hindsight did I realize it.  At the moment I was just thinking "Wow, this person is in bad shape and I don't need two asthma puffers.  I would be a real hard heart not to share in this situation."

I'm sorry to say, but I saw all kinds of cheating going on out there.  (I also picked up a ton of wrappers, filling my frame bag each day.) Some of it is cavalier and intentional, some of it is innocent and perhaps even well meaning.  That's part of the reason I intentionally scratched.  I can't get my head wrapped around the racing aspect of this event.  I feel like it either needs a ton more moderation to really be fair, or it should be forgotten entirely.  As I said in my call in, I think I'm more of an aggressive tourer.  I love long days in the saddle, but if people offer me lemonade I'd be happy to sit and chat with them and learn more about their life and the culture of their town.  I'd also be happy to accept a ride with them into town for a pizza or whatever.  To me, that's an essential part of the experience that I was missing when I was racing.  I suspect many others actually feel the same way, even if they haven't articulated it yet.

I'm going to ride the GDMTBR again, hopefully next year, border to border.  The five days I spent out there this year were incredible, just a taste of the magic that is there.  But I'm going to tour it, so I can ride my own ride with a clean conscience.  I fully understand the rules of the race and completely respect them.  They're hard for a reason.  This is a tough race, and it should stay that way.  We as a society need things like this that aren't easily in reach.  It's not right for me, and probably not right for many folks.  I'm okay with that.  I just hope other people are thinking the same way . . .   

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #652 on: June 25, 2014, 07:36:13 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 25, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »

Bravo Payton! I too, "hope that other people are thinking the same way."

But, just for the record, nobody will claim that you broke any rules by giving the other racer an asthma inhaler. As anyone who has asthma knows, it's a dangerous condition that regularly kills people. As I've said before, I believe that it should be REQUIRED to help someone who's experiencing a dangerous situation. You're the kind of guy who I would love to meet on the trail, especially if I needed help.

I have asthma too, and I'd DQ myself from a self-supported race if I needed to accept an inhaler. But I'd give a spare to any rider needing one in a heartbeat.

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #653 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:26 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »

TD14: Big Dave Wilson called in with a two-fer from the rail trail and Eric Sime called in from the Idaho State Line

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #654 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:35 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »

TD14: Sam and Katy Newbury called in rom Salida!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #655 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:20 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

Sam and Katy are crushing it, are they on pace for the tandem record?

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #656 on: June 25, 2014, 08:24:00 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #656 on: June 25, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »

Record is 18d 5h I think? So they look to be behind but maybe within reach.  Second FKT ain't bad considering the competition and the times other very strong teams have posted.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #657 on: June 25, 2014, 08:39:37 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 25, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »

I have asthma too, and I'd DQ myself from a self-supported race if I needed to accept an inhaler. But I'd give a spare to any rider needing one in a heartbeat.
It's been a while since I've heard the, "what is true trail magic?", discussion brought up--and please let's not derail this thread towards that-- but I thought the TM definition was somewhat settled back in the day--that a racer can offer another trail magic ONCE and both riders remain in good standing with rules. An inner tube, use of a tool, an inhaler, sharing or floating an energy bar, etc. We accept this about group starts. The key is in the intent and pre-planning element. For that one instance, even a fellow rider meets the TD definition of a bystander (a necessary ingredient of true trail magic). None of these gestures, save the inhaler, will make or break someone's race, and the inhaler falls under a medical emergency-type 'good smaritan' exemption, IMHO. Preplanning to ride together and share kit is a big no-no, therefore it's customary when two riders fall into multi-day pace together to conduct themselves well above the trail magic allowance--which is a good clean approach... but serendipitous gesturing (again, by definition happens only once) is ok. I think we all know / are supposed to recognize when our behavior crosses the line and true advantage is gained.

The above rider-to-rider type of trail magic, and the heightened awareness by local businesses towards the riders of the grand depart are the two true distinctions between a grand depart and truly independent time-trialing. They are definitely different ways to skin the cat. I personally rode alone 90% of my entire Divide racing career, so for me there was little difference, but these days, for mid-packers, it's a different story.

Bravo Payton! I too, "hope that other people are thinking the same way."
I'm not sure I agree the mission of the touring experience and racing are mutually exclusive. For a front runner, I lingered famously at times with locals or shop keeps. I've heard plenty of bear stories and the like, met many a local in my time racing the Divide. I made it a priority. I wasn't in a joint 5 minutes before I knew folks names, and what they did for a living, etc. I used to play jokes on chasing racers by getting shop keeps to tell them I stayed two minutes and all I bought was water & beer. I would leave them my extra food. Point is, You *can* do all that *and* still race. You learn to recognize the moments--as any seasoned traveler intuits. I wouldn't have raced 7 times if that cultural element wasn't rich. LOVE the people of the route. Salt of the earth...shaped by the Divide. I especially love them Canadians...and their Kokanee.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:40:05 PM by Mathewsen » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #658 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:23 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »

TD14 Day 13 and TABR14 Day 19 True Up! Congrats to Mike Hall for his first place Trans Am finish! And hope the broken bones heal quick for some Tour Dividers!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/podcasts/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #659 on: June 25, 2014, 09:17:18 PM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »

Re: trail magic (TM) - amongst racers... I remember having hurt my knee in a crash and a fellow veteran racer offering me a blue pill to help with the pain... I asked if he thought this was okay and his ethos was this... If TM is *offered* to you it is okay, asking for assistance isn't...
  Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: